Help - the heat from the engine is awful!

Hang on! I think we've found one.

trash.jpg

reksul

My gauge is an oil temp gauge. When I built my trike I installed that. The sender comes off the engine oil pan. When I wrote that response I figured those that understood would realize I was talking about an oil temp gauge. Next time I will be more specific. My lowers make no difference in the oil temperature on or off. They are designed to force air to the inside and that flows over the heads. Because of the slight scoop effect of the lowers there is actually more air flow directed at the heads. What makes the difference in heat is the 10 tube oil cooler and the re-programmed ECM by the Power Commander along with a stage one air cleaner with true dual V & H exhaust. It still gets hot when riding real slow or idling, but that's why I added a blower where the horn used to be. If I know I'm going to be in slow mode I turn on the blower before it gets hot and that helps some.

Ted

Mary, the sure and quick fix for this would be to trade it for a Honda!

George, the bantering with you is just soooo entertaining (especially when you are not out of Bud Light!). I just love you!!!! :p

I was about to offer you a fun Harley vs Honda challenge, but then I remembered......... You are the 200 lb man who recently took his 1000 lb GW trike airborne and had to weld that swing arm mount back together. Do I really want to take my pretty little Harley trike there? Let me think for a minute.........NOPE! :groan: LOL!!!

reksul

My gauge is an oil temp gauge. When I built my trike I installed that. The sender comes off the engine oil pan. When I wrote that response I figured those that understood would realize I was talking about an oil temp gauge. Next time I will be more specific. My lowers make no difference in the oil temperature on or off. They are designed to force air to the inside and that flows over the heads. Because of the slight scoop effect of the lowers there is actually more air flow directed at the heads. What makes the difference in heat is the 10 tube oil cooler and the re-programmed ECM by the Power Commander along with a stage one air cleaner with true dual V & H exhaust. It still gets hot when riding real slow or idling, but that's why I added a blower where the horn used to be. If I know I'm going to be in slow mode I turn on the blower before it gets hot and that helps some.

Ted

Sorry Ted.. didn't pick that up from before.

I do notice that my oil temperature maintains a lower temp with my lowers removed but it takes a lower head temperature to allow that. Removing my lowers helps my bike to run cooler and me along with it. If you have an infrared temp gun you can point it around the spark plug area after riding and keep a measurement log of your temps and rides. A little overboard for most riders but it was fun for me to do.

Like you and several others here I too have changed my fuel mapping. Instead of fooling the factory ECM with an aftermarket I do my own dyno runs and reflash the ECM. Man-o-man, did that help a ton! Getting rid of the factory smog cams seemed to help as much as fuel management.

It won't be long before mother Harley will make all this conversation change as they will have to revert to all water cooled motors soon anyway...All in all... there are so many ways to make your ride your own these days its hard to keep up with them all. The main point is to enjoy your ride and if you are comfortable while having fun then the issue of heat is mute, ya know?

Boy would I love to find a DYNO that will work for a trike. And then being able to due you own re-flash. I have to settle with tinkering with the power command via the laptop. Almost all is seat of the pants because I have not found a dyno for trikes here in SE Florida yet.

I changed the cams to S & S 510G's just to get away from the chains. I do not notice any more noise coming from the cam area. I will do some temp readings the next ride. I have a infrared temp gun. What are you getting for head temp vs a given oil temp?

Thanks,

Ted

What are you getting for head temp vs a given oil temp?

Thanks,

Ted

The front cylinder is normally cooler than the back unless idling. Taking a reading on the head just under the spark plug I would say my average temp on the front cylinder is 200-210 while the back may say 240-250 and an oil temp of 200-210*. This would be an average day of 85* ambient on country roads. I have seen lower temps but it would be due to the ambient temp being lower across the motor. I've seen it higher too but the heads are always a little hotter than the oil by 10 to 40* depending on which head you are comparing the oil temp to.

Remember that I am taking these readings just after riding within a minute or so of shutting her off.

I wrote this article, as well as others, to help with this problem, posting them right here on this site. Unfortunately, those that would be helped, or at least be given some understanding of these problems, don't seem to be able to locate these articles. Here is the link to the heat related subject:

http://www.triketalk.com/forum/dave-...ur-harley.html

I went through this post a half a dozen times trying to figure out my next move. I took bits and pieces from the article and installed and performed them on my bike.

Everything worked out great:D

Each bike and riding style are a little different. Taking Dave's advise has made a huge change in my comfort level as well as performance of the bike.

Thank you Ultra boy for one of the best explanations I've seen on engine related heat and the reasons why.:beerchug:

We'll get Barb over here , that would be to the "right" coast , from the "left" coast and then we will converge on you guys and get everything we need fixed!!! By the way, I did order the power commander V. Sorry Barb. Something else. :yes::yes: Then we can:party: and have a:beerchug: drive Reskul:gah::gah::banghead: Then he will feel like:machinegun:ing us and he will never offer to fix our bikes again!!!:confused: His wife will wave good bye and yell:yay:

We will thank Reskul and say:goodjob: and he will look at his wife and say:drama:

Sorry guys, letting off steam tonight!!! Goodnight.

Joan.... you crack me up. But if you all are going down to harass reksul, let me know. I'll ride down and help :D

You got it girl!!! Now that would be a fun trip!:yes:

Yes it would and we could be in the mountains in 15 minutes or less.

btw guys... going to give an opinion here and this may hurt some feelings of others but I want to give some info here. If I am not working, which I do from home, I am reading technical manuals and following up on forum discussions. It's just what I do. So here goes...

The PCV with auto tune...

I am not downing this product, no, not for one minute. The basis behind the PCV is sound but is not new to the industry by any means. This is the first year the PCV has been available to the public and it looks like there are more defects in this product than should be at this time. So if you have purchased one and are not having issues you will absolutely enjoy it but if you suddenly have starting issues or your bike sputters while on a ride and shuts down other owners are finding it is caused by a defective PCV.

If you are out riding and the bike quits then unplug the PCV from the ECM and hook the ECM into the bike wiring harness as before. Don't worry about the 02 sensors for now, just get to a place where you can be safe or fix the bike as soon as possible.

(note: you will get poor fuel mileage until you get your factory 02 sensors reinstalled or the PCV repaired)

Every manufacturer has defects out there and certainly the ThunderMax had lots of issues which are similar to the issues of the PCV with auto.

So, if you have one now or purchase one in the future then know how to remove it so you can get back home.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
99RoadKing

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
99RoadKing
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png