New old guy form Ohio here

Mar 7, 2013
Columbus, Ohio
New Guy here
I've been riding since hi school (64) , did some sime in the military (25 years) getting ready to retire after 20 more years Civil Service, and then BAMMM!!!!, I get hit by a GMC truck,(9 months ago) lose my leg, and my whole life changes.

Meanng, I stil got two bikes in the garage (an 85 Goldwing and a 2002 Shadow Sabre.

Gonna trike one of em, and see where we got from there.

Full conversion or Voyage/Trigg I don't know.

Don't make no sense to me to spend $10 to fully trike a $3000 goldwing.
Or even a 10 year old Shadow Sbabre.

(I'd use the Wing for road trips with the girlfriend and the Sabre for around town one up.)

What I really want is the FB6 Trike.

Maybe the guys Ins Co will buy me one.

That's it

Carry on

The 750 Magna chopper/bobber/rat bike is what got me here.
But I still got the Wing (2nd from left) and the Sabre (4th from L) in the garage.
The Helix (I think everyone knows which one that is) is the girlfriends

Here I am on the Can Am, but not sure I feel comfortable (like I'm gonna fall off) on it.
Of course, not being able to put two feet on the ground may lead to that sensation.

Welcome and sorry about the loss of your leg. But it could have been much worst. JMHO I would go full trike if you can afford it ,The Spyder is a good ride but poor in the milage department if that matters to you. BTW I lived on WPAFB for a few years, Dad was a retired Col. in the Air Force.
Bill

Welcome and sorry about the loss of your leg. But it could have been much worst. JMHO I would go full trike if you can afford it ,The Spyder is a good ride but poor in the milage department if that matters to you. BTW I lived on WPAFB for a few years, Dad was a retired Col. in the Air Force.
Bill

Thanx for the welcome
Yea, I'm lucky that I only lost a leg.
No other damage.

I plan to go full conversion/or a totally new trike cause it ain't cost effective to trike a 30 year old bike. Which is why I was gonna go cheap, errrrr less expensive, and do a voyager/trigg kit to begin with to make sure I can handle it..

I did 25 years active duty AF: SEA, (Vietnam,Korea,Thailand Clark,) Grissom,Nellis, Homestead, Bentwaters, March, Misawa and Lowry. Missed WP. Retired as a MSgt (E7) 1st Sgt, Deputy Finance Officer, Superientendent, etc etc
Just finished 20 years Civil Service with DFAS (finance and accounting)

Waiting for the other guys Ins Co to make a respectible offer (already made a bullsiht offer which I refused) Which is how I plan to get a full trike. Maybe. Hopefully. wishfull thinkingly. we'll see. that kinda thing.
But not after I pay off the house, make the house cripple friendly, remodel, new deck, and get a new VW Beetle. (and restore my Fleetwood, my dads Ranchero and my VW Bus)

I got lots a things to keep me busy, just need the $$$.

Anyway, Thanx and hope to ride with everyone in due time

Dave

Welcome to TT - glad you found us. Lot's of information, opinions and nice people can be found here. If "all new" is financially difficult (it would be for me), you should be able to find a good, used trike for $20k + or -. Perhaps sell off your 2 wheelers to bring down the overall cost.

Whatever you choose, we wish you well and look forward to hearing how you're doing. Post often, have fun, be safe. ThumbUp

Welcome Dave! Hate to hear about your leg, but you are in the right place here to get back on the road again :).

The voyager, etc., do a good job but do not handle in the same way a true 3-wheeled trike with a rake kit does. A true trike is easier to handle and steer from all accounts. If you can work it out to do so, I believe you'd be happier and more comfortable on three wheels.

welcome dave c glad you joined us. recommend a nice used trike. goldwing harley or whatever else you like.

Thanx again everyone
I'm at plan c by now
Gonna sell the GL1200 to defray the cost of triking the Sabre
(I just don't want to get rid of the Sabre. It's been reliable and I just really like it)Then get a good used GL1500 trike.

I also saw these really cute three wheel scooters.
May be the thing to use in the mean time to scoot around town.
(retirement home to the liquor store kinda thing)

Oh well
on to being a newbie here on TT

Thanx
Dave

Welcome Dave from Rockford, IL. There are other handicapped riders in here as well and you are going to fit right in with us all. Good luck with the Sabre conversion.

Hi Dave, I saw this photo on another site and just thought it was rather inspirational. Losing a limb doesn't make a person handicapped only stronger and more determined. You are doing exactly what needs to be done, get right back to what you apparently love to do, "Riding", whether it’s with 2 or 3 wheels.......

First welcome to the site from the U P of Michigan. Second, thank you for your service to our country. I also spent time in the Air Force in Thailand during the Vietnam conflict. So thank you for spending so many years fighting for my freedom. I also was in a serious accident, although I didn't loose a leg, I did total out my Honda Gold Wing and the other drivers car, his fault, he crossed the center line and hit me head on. But depending on which leg you lost you may be able to have some hand controls for brakes or shifting. Sometimes it's just a matter of getting used to it. Good luck.

First welcome to the site from the U P of Michigan. Second, thank you for your service to our country. I also spent time in the Air Force in Thailand during the Vietnam conflict. So thank you for spending so many years fighting for my freedom. I also was in a serious accident, although I didn't loose a leg, I did total out my Honda Gold Wing and the other drivers car, his fault, he crossed the center line and hit me head on. But depending on which leg you lost you may be able to have some hand controls for brakes or shifting. Sometimes it's just a matter of getting used to it. Good luck.

All
I appreciate everyones welcome.
Withoug using up too much bandwidth, here's a pic of the accident
The GMC truck hit the blue car, lost it's LF wheel, flipped on it's side, and while sliding, hit me. I eventually (4 surgeries later) lost my L leg above the knee

That was 9 months ago.
I got a long way to go and a short time to get there.

I can brake, but can't shift (with my foot, which isn't there)
Working on an air shifter for whatever I get.

The GF says I can sell the GL1200, (to cover conversion costs) but not the Sabre. Then get a good used GL1500 full conversion (and maybe even a trailer) , with the easy steer.

Life is good
Life goes on, and so will I.

As far as that pic of the guy with no R leg, I wonder how he holds that thing up when he stops. I'm just not sure I could always make sure I'm leaning on my 'good' side every time I stopped.

I did a Run For THe Wall a few years back, and there was a guy who rode a trike who had his legs blown off at the knee. He wore knee pads and walked around on this knees. Nice guy.

Oh well, was on the web for hours the last few days trying to finger out what I'm gonna do.
Short term and long term.
So many ideas and options.

I'll be in the wind this spring/summer. (one year after the accident, May 4, 2012)
Be it on a 3 wheel scooter/trike thingy (Short term/temp, automatic shift) or a trike (if the Ins Co makes a descent offer).

Carry on my friends

Dave

Dave, Welcome to the site. I am a new trike owner myself, can't help you much with which trike you should get. Welcome home from a fellow Vietnam Vet 67-68, and thank you for your service.

Thank for your service to the country via the military and the additional service years to the local community via Civil service. A salute to ya my friend, I was born a buckeye but raised a Fl cracker.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazybiker 46

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazybiker 46
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png