Honda or Harley?

orange winger2 - I believe the statement by ladyff1481 refers to the heat of the HD Twinkie engine. Ever since the Twin Cam was introduced there has been heat issues. The MOFoCo has tried a bunch of fixes, like plastic wings under the front of the seat to deflect the heat away from the rider's thighs, but they have never really cured the problem.

As far as having a turn signal button on each side of the bars instead of having one like the rest of the world? They always have done it that way, and that is the way the core HD rider expects it. It's just the way it has always been.

Complaining about the wind and noise is ridiculous, IT'S A MOTORCYCLE!! If you want to be warm in the cold and cool in the heat and hear the radio loud and clear get a car, IT'S A MOTORCYCLE!! Just spent five weeks in Myrtle Beach and did not see one Honda trike and only a few Honda's of any kind I guess they were all home or in their cars warm and listening the radio. There may have been some ride by when I wasn't looking, don't know I couldn't hear them. When we are on our Harley where ever we are we see more Harley's and have friends. It's the comradely and a life style that can't be matched. I don't know of any brand of anything that has the loyalty and global recognition that HARLEY DAVIDSON has. Yes I do think the Honda Goldwing is more refined than the Harley but what you feel on a Harley is that you are riding a motorcycle not a car regardless of the number or wheels. To each his own, depends on what you want.

You have been receiving two types of responses. Most tout a brand and others recommend that you take test rides 'cause what's good for you might not be good for the next guy. I recommend long (100 miles or more) test rides on all the brand that you are considering. A quick trip around the block isn't going to cut it; especially if you don't have lots of trike miles under your belt. Look at warranties and discuss them with installers/dealers before committing.

:Agree::Agree:​

You have been receiving two types of responses. Most tout a brand and others recommend that you take test rides 'cause what's good for you might not be good for the next guy. I recommend long (100 miles or more) test rides on all the brand that you are considering. A quick trip around the block isn't going to cut it; especially if you don't have lots of trike miles under your belt. Look at warranties and discuss them with installers/dealers before committing.

Five weeks in Myrtle Beach?? At this time of year people are heading to Daytona.......:xzqxz::xzqxz:

Complaining about the wind and noise is ridiculous, IT'S A MOTORCYCLE!! If you want to be warm in the cold and cool in the heat and hear the radio loud and clear get a car, IT'S A MOTORCYCLE!! Just spent five weeks in Myrtle Beach and did not see one Honda trike and only a few Honda's of any kind I guess they were all home or in their cars warm and listening the radio. There may have been some ride by when I wasn't looking, don't know I couldn't hear them. When we are on our Harley where ever we are we see more Harley's and have friends. It's the comradely and a life style that can't be matched. I don't know of any brand of anything that has the loyalty and global recognition that HARLEY DAVIDSON has. Yes I do think the Honda Goldwing is more refined than the Harley but what you feel on a Harley is that you are riding a motorcycle not a car regardless of the number or wheels. To each his own, depends on what you want.

I bought a 2012 Tri-Glide and immediately had to put the kit from the guy in Indiana to raise the rear end up which improved handling as well as exhaust pipes wouldn't rub. The Tri-Glide steers like a Mack truck w/o Power Steering. The Tri-Glide rode very rough due to the straight axle. The Tri-Glide puts out a tremendous amount of heat but things wasn't too bad untill I got about 2000 miles on it then it started making noises sounding like a solid lifter small block Chevrolet with out of adjustment valves. I took it back to my Dealer three times and he couldn't hear anything. Told me they all did that. My 2010 Electra Glide Classic don't do it at any RPM. I finally took it back the forth time and told them to fix it as it was under warranty and only 6 months old so they picked it up again and changed the two spark plugs. After finding out what they done I politely told them what I thought and went and traded it for a 2012 GL1800 with Roadsmith Trike kit. No need to comment on what I think of a Tri-Glide but the Honda Trike is awesome. No noise, steers with one hand in parking lot doing figure 8's, no wind issues after putting F4+4 windshield, three times the power, rides excellent with the independent suspension, and it does not run hot.....I haven't missed any part of the Harley Tri-Glide.......Not bashing the Harley because I still have one.....

Its a motorcycle is all fine and well, but when your spouse is deaf in one ear and has some tenitis in the remaining good ear wouldn't you make some changes? The thing Harley has going for it is the company is a great marketing maching, what other company sells more leather and tee shirts along with other doo dads. Up until the 2012 GL1800 I bought last August I have only owned Harley, I'm not into life styles other than my own, could care less what the Jones are doing. As for keeping warm in the car, I've ridden in more inclement weather than most. The folks at the Harley dealer I used to do business with thought I was a loose nut because of some of the weather I'd be out in. A few years ago my dad and I took a 200 mile ride in weather which didn't get above 35 degrees, it rained, sleeted and snowed on us the whole way home, we don't own heated gear either.

Funny thing is I often wondered what a Goldwing was really like and wondered if I would like it. Once I rented one for a couple days and road the snot out of it I was sold. The difference between the Wing and my Ultra Classic is night and day, the Wing just flat out handles better, its a hoot to toss that sucker into corners where I would be dragging stuff if I was on the Harley. To be honest it isn't fair to compare the 2, the Harley touing line is more like a cruiser vs a sport touring bike which is the Goldwing.

If your buy a brand based on life style your more of a sheep following the rest of the sheep than an individual. I make my purchasing desisions based on how the item is going to perform to my expectations, with are quite high.

That's why I said to each his own, I like the whole package. Sheep do things by instinct people by what they like (me anyway), like not riding in sleet and snow. If you like to lean into a curve till something scrapes you would not like a trike anyway. If your wife has issues them by all means do whats right by her, she would probably be more comfortable is a car.

Its a motorcycle is all fine and well, but when your spouse is deaf in one ear and has some tenitis in the remaining good ear wouldn't you make some changes? The thing Harley has going for it is the company is a great marketing maching, what other company sells more leather and tee shirts along with other doo dads. Up until the 2012 GL1800 I bought last August I have only owned Harley, I'm not into life styles other than my own, could care less what the Jones are doing. As for keeping warm in the car, I've ridden in more inclement weather than most. The folks at the Harley dealer I used to do business with thought I was a loose nut because of some of the weather I'd be out in. A few years ago my dad and I took a 200 mile ride in weather which didn't get above 35 degrees, it rained, sleeted and snowed on us the whole way home, we don't own heated gear either.

Funny thing is I often wondered what a Goldwing was really like and wondered if I would like it. Once I rented one for a couple days and road the snot out of it I was sold. The difference between the Wing and my Ultra Classic is night and day, the Wing just flat out handles better, its a hoot to toss that sucker into corners where I would be dragging stuff if I was on the Harley. To be honest it isn't fair to compare the 2, the Harley touing line is more like a cruiser vs a sport touring bike which is the Goldwing.

If your buy a brand based on life style your more of a sheep following the rest of the sheep than an individual. I make my purchasing desisions based on how the item is going to perform to my expectations, with are quite high.

Sounds like a fair evaluation to me. I've got to say I like the looks of Harleys and the rumble they make as long as it is factory. It seems like a bike or trike I'd like to own for a little local riding, but I also like to own a Triumph Bonneville for around town. Picking one, it wouldn't be anything but the wing. Nothing else gives you the power and quietness, and very important to me, the reliability. If you doubt the reliability, then check out what the Iron Butt Association riders are riding in their rally which is approx. 11,000 miles in 11 days. The last time I looked there were almost no Harleys used due to their reliability.

I have had a lot of diff. motorcycles in my life, most were old worn out clunkers, but I enjoyed them all, but their seems to be a lot more Harley bashing here, don't know why? ...it's almost like some of you folks who own Honda's are just unhappy that you don't own a Harley for what ever reason:Shrug: so it makes you feel good to bash them, SHAME,SHAME,SHAME, as Goober would say.
Why you wanna bash an American icon [110 years old]? .... if you cant say any thing good about America,s Harley, why say anything.

Just remember, it was on a Harley that Deputy Barney Fife gave out tickets to maintain peace and order in Mayberry,
NOT! no "stinking" Honda :D.
JMO ThumbUp.......I love um all :wave4:.

Can we put an end to the Harley vs. Honda debate/bashing?
At the Rally V at Maggie Valley this last year there were a myriad of trikes - Hondas, Yamahas, Suzukis, HDs, VeeDubs, V8s, Stallions, home built, factory and more. The thing I really liked was that nobody really cared about the brand, everyone seemed to appreciate other folks ride for what it was: another nice trike by a fellow trike lover. That is one of the things I love about this forum. It's about the love of trikes, not the love of a brand.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled program where meanwhile, back at the ranch, Tonto, not knowing the Lone Ranger had disguised himself as a doorknob, shot the lock off.

I thought he was disguised as a pool table and got his b---s knocked around with a cue stick!!!

When I made the second post on this thread I knew what was coming. I will never say anything bad about another brand and I dont care what it's negatives might be. A lotta people are quick to criticize, but there is just no way to compare one brand with another. I am a Ford guy too and have been my whole life, but I will never bash another vehicle brand except in private with certain people and I have been sippin' too much Crown. I love my Harley, and no one should care. You guys all love your Honda's...and I dont care. Just ride what you like and enjoy it whatever it is.

That's why I said to each his own, I like the whole package. Sheep do things by instinct people by what they like (me anyway), like not riding in sleet and snow. If you like to lean into a curve till something scrapes you would not like a trike anyway. If your wife has issues them by all means do whats right by her, she would probably be more comfortable is a car.

I used to own a Trike and intend on triking the Goldwing. I had a 2010 Triglide for almost 3 years when I got rid of it to buy the Wing, I had some problems on the horizon with the Triglide so I sent it down the road. There was an electrical gremlin which had most of my electrical system go out when I was 500 miles from home, got lucky and I started working again. The compensator was bad and the stator was leaking, it had just a tad over 21,000 miles which 99% were highway because I traveled on the Trike and ride my 06 Ultra around town.

At the Rally V at Maggie Valley this last year there were a myriad of trikes - Hondas, Yamahas, Suzukis, HDs, VeeDubs, V8s, Stallions, home built, factory and more. The thing I really liked was that nobody really cared about the brand, everyone seemed to appreciate other folks ride for what it was: another nice trike by a fellow trike lover. That is one of the things I love about this forum. It's about the love of trikes, not the love of a brand.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled program where meanwhile, back at the ranch, Tonto, not knowing the Lone Ranger had disguised himself as a doorknob, shot the lock off.

:Agree: I'm with you 100%. I'm fortunate, I've owned and ridden both brands so I can pretty much speak to the good and bad of both. I love both for what each one brings to the table.

Thank you, Ozarkryder! Appreciate your comment a lot :D.

I know a LOT of folks that ride Harley's, Yamaha's, Suzuki's. et al.

Sure I get a little bit of teasing and so do they. It goes hand in hand. But, in the end, we fire up our trikes and bikes and ride together. Personally, I don't care WHAT you ride. I simply care THAT you ride.

There are those Harley hard-cores out there that will NEVER accept you. But those folks aren't generally in the same group of people that you would WANT to be rolling with anyway.

Sure, I might be on a T.W.A.....but I rather like the fact that my music is a lot louder than my pipes, I enjoy the reliability of the motor and I like the looks.

If you have a Harley or any other type and want to ride someplace then, please, let me know. I'll ride with you as I don't care what brand it is.

I don't care what anyone rides as long as it has at least 2 wheels.
Ive ridden with guys who can only afford a Chinese scooter.
If it puts wind in your face its alright with me.

My Uncle got me started riding by teaching me on a Vespa scooter when I was 8 years old.
I built my 1st motor bike from my old Schwinn and a briggs motor when I was 9.
So if it has 2 wheels and a motor its alright with me.
We all had to start riding some thing..................
Ive owned them all over almost 40 years and will never knock someone elses choice in wheels.
The model maybe, but not the brand.

I think the original intent of this thread was the OP was looking for first hand knowledge of the pros and cons of each brand. It's a perfectly valid question, especially if one is new to trikes. The problems arises because of a lack of our (forum members) own self restraint, tolerance and civility toward each other. We can be adults and help the OP without all the bravado and chest thumping...

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png