Rebuilding Alternator

Dec 20, 2012
Alvin, Texas USA
The PO of my Wing, replaced the alternator in 2009. About 10 days ago, my alternater went out again. About 4 years. Is the and average time for an alternater to go out? (Have a 95 Aspencade, triked with motor trike.). I have very few extra lights, (LED fog lights, LED blinking tail lights and a brake light in the trunk bar light.)
I looked into that super alternator, but read too many reviews of it giving up after 15-18 months. So I went with an OEM from my local dealer. Has any of you had experience re-winding and strengthening these alternators? If so did they last any longer? Or, maybe, how long has your alternator lasted?

Thanks for your input, as I am seriously looking at spending the money to re-wind and strengthen my old one for the next time it goes out.

Jack, This might not help you too much, but for a reference, I too have a '95 Asp with MT conversion. Currently at 48K miles with the original alternator. Some time ago I ran across a "new in box" Comp-U-Fire alternator at a bargain price which I purchased "just in case". It still sits on the shelf waiting for my original to die. So far, it's been a long wait.

You don't seem to have any "excessive" load on the system. I'm sure other folks know much more about 1500 alternators than I know, but that's my experience. I'll be watching to see how you make out. Best wishes. ThumbUp

Thanks for the replies. I looked at the compu-tire, but read too many reveiws of not lasting for over 15-18 months. I was looking at re-wiring my old one, but wasn't sure of how long it will stay good sitting on the shelf. But, I think that is what I will do.

Thanks again, didn't know how many had rebuilt one and their experience.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png