champion kits on a harley, tell me what you like and don't like?

Feb 25, 2013
casper,wy. usa
champion kits on a harley, tell me what you like and don't like?

:Excited:clapping
:Shrug: I have read so much about the different trike kits on this forum.
I have ordered the champion straight axle kit for my 1989 tour glide.

If you wish please tell me what you like and don't like about the champion.
I have read about overfilling the oil on the axles, and seals going out and such.

I have been told it's a fine kit and the conversion is easy.
How about longevity?
I have a tendency to keep things forever as is evidenced by the year my bike was made! ( my wife has the same tendency or she would have dumped my sorry self).

I can't wait to get started converting my old scooter.
Also the kit shown on the champion site shows custom wheeels. The kit comes with aluminum alloy wheels but i can't tell what that wheel looks like for sure?

As always thanks for you input.

Re: champion kits on a harley, tell me what you like and don't like?

I love mine. Straight axle on a 2007 Road Glide. Over 35,000 miles since Jan 2009 without a signal issue. Easy to install my a normal mechanic.

my Champion straight axle kit is not on a Harley(on a vtx 1800) ---am close to 25,000 trouble free miles-----

I had the champion straight axle on a fat boy for six years. Handling was sweet and twistie roads were a blast. there was not a single problem with the kit in that time, and I sold the trike to an old harley guy for his wife. He rode it and went over it thoroughly and absolutely loved the trike.

I bought an 03 GW- 1800 that was triked in 05 (with a new Champion) and have put 97,000
flawless miles on it...Very happy with the kit....

My '07 Ultra/Champion has just about 85,000 miles on it (it ain't no garage queen)without a single problem. Wouldn't change a thing.

Had a 2006 flh with champion straight axle I installed myself 50 thousand trouble free miles.

had one on a 91 stc rode ruff but kit was nice made well
Thanks for everyones input!
keep em coming, What do you like best and what do you like least?
It sounds like a strong kit judging by your comments!
I still haven't figured out for sure what the stock aluminum wheel looks like?
I have looked at the wheels on your bikes.

Riki T.:
Thanks for your input.
I guess my brain clutch is slipping so i will have to ask, What is an STC?
I think of a street glide?
What kind of shocks were on it?
Or what do you think made it ride rough?

Thanks for everyones input!
keep em coming, What do you like best and what do you like least?
It sounds like a strong kit judging by your comments!
I still haven't figured out for sure what the stock aluminum wheel looks like?
I have looked at the wheels on your bikes.

Riki T.:
Thanks for your input.
I guess my brain clutch is slipping so i will have to ask, What is an STC?
I think of a street glide?
What kind of shocks were on it?
Or what do you think made it ride rough?

I was wondering what an STC is myself, I know what an STD is:gah:
I think RikiT has ridden an IRS trike before and is making the comparison of rides between the two. I have both and the IRS is a much smoother, less jolting (stiff) ride...that being said, the straight axle is a lower maintenance unit, and does not lean in curves as much (more of a stable feeling). It's not like you are gunna be riding it 500-600 miles per day, so a little stiffer suspension should be no big deal-hell you might even like the no lean stability better anyway.:Shrug:
Pcombe you can't go wrong with that Champion Kit you are gettin, it is battle tested and should be a smooth easy install.

I was wondering what an STC is myself, I know what an STD is:gah:
I think RikiT has ridden an IRS trike before and is making the comparison of rides between the two. I have both and the IRS is a much smoother, less jolting (stiff) ride...that being said, the straight axle is a lower maintenance unit, and does not lean in curves as much (more of a stable feeling). It's not like you are gunna be riding it 500-600 miles per day, so a little stiffer suspension should be no big deal-hell you might even like the no lean stability better anyway.:Shrug:
Pcombe you can't go wrong with that Champion Kit you are gettin, it is battle tested and should be a smooth easy install.
That is good news about the installation.
I really might do 5-600 miles in a day, thats not unheard of for me.
Don't ask me why?
I found out a long time ago that my head is a dangerous neighborhood, I try to never go in there myself!
Strictly for entertainment purposses only?

That forces me to ask what an IRS is? I haven't become aquainted with that trike.

IRS is a three letter word in my book. They like me more than i like them!
( I try to avoid them other than for a once a year contribution.)

That is good news about the installation.
I really might do 5-600 miles in a day, thats not unheard of for me.
Don't ask me why?
I found out a long time ago that my head is a dangerous neighborhood, I try to never go in there myself!
Strictly for entertainment purposses only?

That forces me to ask what an IRS is? I haven't become aquainted with that trike.

IRS is a three letter word in my book. They like me more than i like them!
( I try to avoid them other than for a once a year contribution.)

independent rear suspension- is the technical term...usually has 2 or 4 shocks on either side ..allowing movement side to side...much less "headshake". I will post a pic of a similar IRS used in my 2003 roadking. IRS.

One thing I do like about the Champion is the rear disk brakes. Great kit .A friend had one and it was built proof. You will horror stories about every kit out there. If you stack it up against all the good stories it is only about 1% .

independent rear suspension- is the technical term...usually has 2 or 4 shocks on either side ..allowing movement side to side...much less "headshake". I will post a pic of a similar IRS used in my 2003 roadking. IRS.
I guess there is a reason that Harley used the straight axle on the tri-glide.
My friends glide rides really nice and steers easy.
I should get the raked tripple trees tomorrow.
Each time i ride his tri-glide i have to beat on my high chair and cry because i can't afford one!
I have been riding his other trike until mine is done, a Harley springer/with a lehman kit.
I don't care for the shocks, they remind of the old jap bike shocks with adjustable spring settings, and rides pretty rough.
Its a beautiful, head turner trike and appeals to my outlaw side but i wouldn't want to hit the road with it for a long trip until the ride could be softened.
I get along with the stock rake but you need to be ready for some sugar shaking at low speeds.

I guess there is a reason that Harley used the straight axle on the tri-glide.
My friends glide rides really nice and steers easy.
I should get the raked tripple trees tomorrow.
Each time i ride his tri-glide i have to beat on my high chair and cry because i can't afford one!
I have been riding his other trike until mine is done, a Harley springer/with a lehman kit.
I don't care for the shocks, they remind of the old jap bike shocks with adjustable spring settings, and rides pretty rough.
Its a beautiful, head turner trike and appeals to my outlaw side but i wouldn't want to hit the road with it for a long trip until the ride could be softened.
I get along with the stock rake but you need to be ready for some sugar shaking at low speeds.
Sounds like you have more experience with trikes than you let on. If you like the ride of the TG, you should be good with the Champion suspension, especially if the shocks are adjustable. Keep in mind your rake kit is going to smooth the ride out, by lengthening the wheel base a bit, as well as reducing headshake.

Sounds like you have more experience with trikes than you let on. If you like the ride of the TG, you should be good with the Champion suspension, especially if the shocks are adjustable. Keep in mind your rake kit is going to smooth the ride out, by lengthening the wheel base a bit, as well as reducing headshake.
I have picked up some info here.
Thanks for the email i needed that.
I got the gas tank,fairing and lowers and instrument panel off today.
There is already a day invested and i still haven't gotten to the tripple trees.
I got tred! Having that damn oxygen hose in the way all the time frustrates the crap outta me!
I should get my tripple trees tomorrow.
I have a friend i first met in wyoming in 1979 and we lost contact with each otherfor some years but ran into each other again about five yrs. ago.
We spend quite a bit of time together.
He has three trikes, two Harleys and a suzuki that his wife rides.
She won't sell me her springer so i have to make my own trike.
She never rides the springer so i am abliged to do it for her.
Hell maybe i should just keep riding hers?
Thanks for the education on independant suspension.

You dint need to take the gas tank off to install the rake kit...cud of just put a blanket over it. If you are having it painted then that splains it.

softail had shocks under the frame to make a clean look when converted to a trike had to keep them with the new swing arm and then put coilover shocks on the axle that all came in the kit

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topaz

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topaz
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png