??Tow trike on 2 wheel car dolly BACKWARDS??

Mar 23, 2013
Kaneohe, HI
Hi everyone,

i just bought a 2006 vrod trike in AZ and need to tow it to CA in order to ship it to Hawai'i. I was going to ride it with a friend, but the pillion is so teeny, we're gonna have a very long 600+ miles and might not be such great friends afterwards!

we wanted to stay together, not just have her follow me in a rental car. I looked at UHAUL, boy were they expensive.

After reading thru a bunch of the "towing" threads here, i was wondering if anyone had tried, or whether this would work.

could you load the trike backwards on a car dolly and trail the front wheel?

yes, it would be tough to push it up there.

could the front wheel support the weight? including whatever bumps and dips the crappy UHaul truck and freeway would impart

thanks everyone!
michele

Hi everyone,

i just bought a 2006 vrod trike in AZ and need to tow it to CA in order to ship it to Hawai'i. I was going to ride it with a friend, but the pillion is so teeny, we're gonna have a very long 600+ miles and might not be such great friends afterwards!

we wanted to stay together, not just have her follow me in a rental car. I looked at UHAUL, boy were they expensive.

After reading thru a bunch of the "towing" threads here, i was wondering if anyone had tried, or whether this would work.

could you load the trike backwards on a car dolly and trail the front wheel?

yes, it would be tough to push it up there.

could the front wheel support the weight? including whatever bumps and dips the crappy UHaul truck and freeway would impart

thanks everyone!
michele

:gah:please don't do that-it could end utterly disastrous. I would not even risk it. It would fore sure damage the front suspension and with the weight and pressure the tire probably would not hold up! This is the sugar coated version of what COULD happen. Good luck:D:wave4:

Michele, First....WELCOME to TrikeTalk and WELCOME to the few and wonderful V-rod trike owners :D.

I don't know what all the possible disasters might be, but I know I would not tow my trike that way!!!! Please rent a uhaul trailer or something instead. It would be such a shame to damage the trike! Best (and most fun) option would definitely be to ride it to CA :).

Last edited:
Welocme robandmichele glad ya'll joined us. Will not comment on you towing I think ya'll have heard enough.GOOD LUCK

Rob and Michele

Where in Arizona is the trike? and where are you shipping it from? I am in the San Diego area and I might be able to help.

Ray
Santee, Ca. :wave4::Shrug:

Eagle 1,
I love seeing old pics of the trailer I build awhile back, makes for a great trike trailer too and a low cost to build and sell too, cheaper than anywhere else arounds, again thanks for posting the pic.

Aloha Everyone!

thank you for all the great advice. first choice will be to ride it. but since both i and a friend will be taking it, and our "not as svelte" bodies may not fit too well, we'll ensure we have a backup of a uhaul truck and trailer.

the bike didn't come with a sissy bar, and, *gasp* i had to find all the parts in the UK! ok, i bought a harley instead of another honda because of the whole made-in-america thing, and the parts were so obsolete that the only place to find them in time was out of the country!

@Ray: thanks so much for the offer. The bike is in Humboldt, an hour north of Phoenix.

mahalo, michele

first off the treads on the car dolly are too wide for the tri-glide.yours may be wider.
yea!vwmaniac. i copyied your pic. to give others a good example of what can be done.
didn't know who to give the credit too.JOB WELL DONE.

welcome my name is joe and i have a 2003 v rod motor trike which i like the major problem is the worlds smallest fuel tank and the worlds most uncomfortable pillion seat i looking forward to seeing photos of your v rod trike have fun joe

As another Arizona resident with a v-Rod trike let me know if you're coming in person to pick it up maybe we can have lunch before you head out. You also realize that this week is bike week in Arizona and the best seven days of the year to be a motorcycle rider. Hopefully you get this in time to get back to me. I am in Phoenix.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png