Gas Mileage??

Sep 9, 2012
Merrimack NH
What does everyone get for mileage? Not really mileage, but distance on a tank of gas? my first tank only got me about 135 miles, which seems low? Yeah she's brand new, I'm learning to ride her etc, but??

Also is there an idiot light for low fuel?

Ryan

I think everyones mileage kinda varies. My wifes 2011 TG, with SE air cleaner, FM head pipes and Jackpot mufflers and the PV tuner gets about 35 mpg average. But it has gotten as low as 28 mpg and as high as 40 mpg.

The idiot light will be a yellow gas pump that lights up when you get down to reserve. If all is working correctly that should also indicate 1 gallon remaining and reserve. Otherwise your trip meter can be cycled thrue and you will find r100 or whatever number, this is how many miles until you hit reserve.

On my 11 T/G, The low light will usually come on at 165 to 180., Then the count down indicator will read 31 miles to empty, then at 11miles it will just read low, At that point i still have a 1/2 gal left..
But when i fill the tank i fill it right to the top. As in nurse in the last drop, The miles to empty will then read 210/215 to empty.

Thanks guys, I'll chock it up to it being new and me not used to it, I'm planning to take it to Sturgis '14 and was NOT looking forward to having to stop every 135 miles! LOL

Ryan

We have about 35,000 miles on the '09 and 16,000 on the '11. Wife gets 36 to 38 on the relatively stock '11, I get 34 to 36 on the '09. We try and stop at 150 miles, just to be safe, the idiot light comes on around 170 miles. Sometime after the light comes on, your odometer will change from mileage to read miles left before empty. the reading will have an "r" in front. and will count down the miles left.

Suggestion, Take the owners manual with you into the bathroom. Read it instead of the old Playboys, lots of info about where stuff is, and how to's. I'm a retired Engineer, we do technical manuals as light reading.

Suggestion, Take the owners manual with you into the bathroom. Read it instead of the old Playboys, lots of info about where stuff is, and how to's. I'm a retired Engineer, we do technical manuals as light reading.

I agree, The problem i find with the manual is that the paper is too glossy to work well. :laugh:

I usually expect 150 before the low fuel light comes on. I start looking for gas stations at around 140, especially on the highway when on a road trip. Speaking of which, Maggie Valley - leaving May 16 with 3 riders that have never been down there before. Should be fun as I have been practicing on the twisties up here. I'm dieing to hear them say "I thought trikes were slow"

I usually expect 150 before the low fuel light comes on. I start looking for gas stations at around 140, especially on the highway when on a road trip. Speaking of which, Maggie Valley - leaving May 16 with 3 riders that have never been down there before. Should be fun as I have been practicing on the twisties up here. I'm dieing to hear them say "I thought trikes were slow"

LOL Enjoy! I had a trip to the Smokies planned the summer before my accident and it never happened, I still want to go!

Ryan

I've been going down there every year since 2005 with the exception of last year. I take 84 all the way to the Pa border then it's all back roads from that point on. Friendly people, good food, great roads and priceless memories. Glad to see you're back in the saddle neighbor.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skijudge

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skijudge
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png