Potential TriGlider

Apr 14, 2013
North Carolina
JimmyDee here from North Carolina, just dropping in to say hello.

Been on 2 wheels for over 30 years and probably will stay that way as long as I can. I guess that statement might beg the question, why am I here.

Difficult to explain other than I think that Trikes are just cool. My wife (a former 2 wheel rider) and I have tested trikes for the last 2 weekends. The more that we do it, the more I like them, wife especially does.

I have not committed to one (HD TriGlide) yet, but we are close. In the future I very much look forward to conversing and tapping into the 3 wheel knowledge of you folks.

Have a great day!
Jim

Welcome to the forum JimmyDee! What you will find here is lots of great information and very knowledgeable and friendly people. Check out the many threads pertaining to your possible questions and if you still have some, ask away. Enjoy.

welcome!!! i have a '09 t/g & like it very much. no CAT , & lehman bros installed the kit.
so it was done right.
had to add a gear cam,and a stage 1 performance machine brake system, & a tuner
have you thought about buying a used electraglide & installing a frankenstein kit?
4,500- 7,500 depending on the add-on's.i suggest going to their web site & ck'ing them out. it is a solid trike with great options. or a goldwing & trike it.
the newer h-d trikes are haveing a-lot of problems with transmissions,HEAT issues
i see you are from N.C. are you subject to a annual insp? if so you can't just gut the
CAT on the tri-glide.and noise from tranny, trike drifting to one side.hard to steer.
(no rake). just sayin.

:wave4:
JimmyDee here from North Carolina, just dropping in to say hello.

Been on 2 wheels for over 30 years and probably will stay that way as long as I can. I guess that statement might beg the question, why am I here.

Difficult to explain other than I think that Trikes are just cool. My wife (a former 2 wheel rider) and I have tested trikes for the last 2 weekends. The more that we do it, the more I like them, wife especially does.

I have not committed to one (HD TriGlide) yet, but we are close. In the future I very much look forward to conversing and tapping into the 3 wheel knowledge of you folks.

Have a great day!
Jim

Let me tell you Jimmy, I've been on two wheels for 40+ years, And i thought i'll never get off also, Got a Trike 5 years ago so i could ride though the winter, And in that 5 years i've only put on 22 hundred miles on my two wheeler.
Trikes can get Habit forming.....:wave4:

welcome aboard jimmydee. you will find that most of us were in the same boat that you find yourself in. MOST of us have stated why did I wait so long. Good luck.

welcome!!! i have a '09 t/g & like it very much. no CAT , & lehman bros installed the kit.
so it was done right.
had to add a gear cam,and a stage 1 performance machine brake system, & a tuner
have you thought about buying a used electraglide & installing a frankenstein kit?
4,500- 7,500 depending on the add-on's.i suggest going to their web site & ck'ing them out. it is a solid trike with great options. or a goldwing & trike it.
the newer h-d trikes are haveing a-lot of problems with transmissions,HEAT issues
i see you are from N.C. are you subject to a annual insp? if so you can't just gut the
CAT on the tri-glide.and noise from tranny, trike drifting to one side.hard to steer.
(no rake). just sayin.

Eagle1, thanks for your suggestions. I have not given any thought about a trike kit, because I have very limited knowledge on which one is good - better or best.

My Ultra is a 2013 and the first thing that I did was install True-Duals with no cats and thus far I do not have any heat or NC inspection issues.

The next time that I drive a Trike (and I hope to this weekend) I'll pay closer attention to the bike drifting, that would definately be a ride spoiler.

I appreciate the heads-up on transmission issues although I havn't heard anything about it or had any problem with mine yet.

Welcome :wave4:

I'm very pleased with my conversion; something to consider, as some conversions have IRS and a longer wheelbase which provide a better ride, IMO.

Good luck with your decision and enjoy!!

in the feb,mar, apr issue of american iron magazine they have a good article on 6-speed blues . i can't copy it, but there's a inner bearing that both baker & h-d uses that wears out prematurely. says if you take off the side cover where the cable goes in & there's a glob of metallic goo in the bottom, then there
's wear on that baring. also when you change the reannt fluid, this area doesn't drain well. i subscribe on-line. $12.00 yr. but can't get any back issues.

in the feb,mar, apr issue of american iron magazine they have a good article on 6-speed blues . i can't copy it, but there's a inner bearing that both baker & h-d uses that wears out prematurely. says if you take off the side cover where the cable goes in & there's a glob of metallic goo in the bottom, then there
's wear on that baring. also when you change the reannt fluid, this area doesn't drain well. i subscribe on-line. $12.00 yr. but can't get any back issues.

Thanks for this info I'll keep this on my watch list. Did the "6-Speed Blues" article mention what mileage this is likely to start?

Welcome jimmydee, I was kinda like you got my first 2 wheeler at age 13 now turning 62 with back and leg problems so had to make the decision. Have an 06 FLHTI which I have owned since new and really loved that bike and could not part with it. So had it converted with a trike kit 2 weeks ago. Trikes are a different ride, not a bad thing once you have a few miles under your belt. I am really enjoying mine and although different it also has some great advantages, not being blown around on windy days or by trucks, not putting your feet down in traffic, they will turn on a dime and can take some serious corners, Mine is triked out with champion kit, reverse gear and raked trees. You will save a few thousand over buying a tri-glide and able to keep the memories of your old bike, worked for me. Best of luck.

Ever since I have owned this 2004 Road King, changing the transmission oil always revealed some silver stuff mixed in the oil, with the plug magnet coated with the same stuff. Just today, I changed it and now I have little bits of metal shavings in there too, and the magnet is well coated. The shavings are very small, almost not visible but you can see them sticking out from the magnet as I try to wipe it off with a rag, and one was big enough to pick out with my fingernail. It looked like a very small needle bearing, was about 1/16" long and about as thick as a bristle from a toothbrush.

I have used every type of oil from Harley's "best the world has ever seen" transmission lube, to Harley 20-50 synthetic, to bargain brand, to just now Mobil 1 V-twin 20-50 synthetic. I always get this silver stuff on the magnet, only now it appears worse.

Any words of encouragement??

Its possible your throwout bearing took a dump, the needle bearings in it are very small. You'll have to pop the exhaust off so you can pull the transmission side cover to inspect the throwout bearing, it sits on top of the oil slinger. I used to get the metallic fuzzies on my drain plugs when I was running Syn3. When I switched to Redline Shockproof Heavy the fuzzies went away and never come back.
Re: Drivetrain noise

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here ya go.....HD put out service bulletin M1304 for all 07 and later twin cams which states:

"When a motorcycle is at operating temperature and in neutral, a rattling sound may be heard on the right side coming from the area of the transmission side cover. This sound is normal and is referred to as neutral rattle. To verify the sound is neutral rattle, pull in the clutch lever and hold it for 10 to 15 seconds. If the sound stops, it is neutral rattle. Neutral rattle is caused by the necessary backlash within the first gear pair."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seen a few post in the last few years on here. There are some small double row of needle bearings that a hunk of medal from a bad shift could easily get in there an lock them up and once they start sliding rather then rolling they fail. Lot of riders put way too thick oil in the transmission thinking they need to protect it but in my opinion may be the wrong thing to do. Also when Harley stuck the extra gear row in I think case is same width as a 5 and gears and bearings are narrow. One reason why you see both straight (stronger) and helical cut gears. The helical are quiter but need extra side thrust protection and there was not enough room. Not sure why it would cost $2000 to replace transmission. Ouch. Just my opinion and not an expert. Just really wanted to sign on to see what turns up
"American Iron" mag Readers? & '07 Touring Riders?

Anyone check out the Feb '13 issue and have an '07 Ultra? The article about six speed tranny noise mentions a "fix" to quiet the fifth gear chatter by upgrading the rear wheel pulley to a rubber mounted one (IDS sprocket kit #40287-07) on pg. 42 of American Iron Feb 13 issue.

Yes, I had one put on my CVO Ultra shortly after the part hit the catalog back in 2008. Since then I have put over 30K miles on it without any issues. It did stop the 5th gear clatter on mine. H-D was running an "elbow grease" program at the time where they threw in an hour's worth of labor if you bought the part and had it installed at a Harley dealer. I'm sure that program has lapsed by now. If you search this site, you will find that not every '07 touring bike had the 5th gear clatter. Yours may be one of those. As the article stated, the '06 Dynas were the first models with the six gear cruise drive but didn't exhibit the clatter. The reasoning was attributed to a different pulley and higher revs. Your riding style may be such that you ride your bike at higher rpms in fifth gear than most, thus you may not experience the clatter. Hope this helps.__________________

another 6 speed harley transmission failure

Folks watch out 2007 to 2010 harley 6 speeds tranys, they suck. The mainshaft bearing is inferior product. There are from what i'm hearing many bikes waiting for this part across America/Canada. There are no aftermarket part for this troubled transmission bearing as of yet.. and harley just sell u same old inferior part. if u have this problem "phone home HARLEY HEAD OFFICE AND COMPLAIN", Dealers don't really care unless u have extended warranty, Extended warranty means u already paid for the this fix. I have good buddy now on his second time getting transmission repaired. so recommondation. change yur trany every 2400 miles. check for any grey color in oil. make sure yur belt tentsion is correct or maybe just little loose is good. PS part in questioned is number 8967 it's totally a harley part... believe me if yur trany is good now, look out take good inspection of it, can save u lots of money. bummer maybe it will come to every third recommended haley trany oil change, u change yur bearings. LOL LOL

here's a sample of search results

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png