The Traditional Motorcycle Wave

FRR

Oct 12, 2012
Batavia Ohio
When I started riding back in the 1960's every time I passed another 2 wheeler we would always wave. By the 1980's I noticed that traditional wave was changing. Jap bikers always waved, some Harley riders would only wave to other Harley riders. Ever since the 1990's I have owned both, a Wing and a Harley. Last year I converted my Wing to a Trike. Now I see a real change. I'm told many Harley riders don't consider trike riders as "real motorcyclists", even Triglide owners. Now, when I ride my Harley everyone waves, when I ride my Wing Most folks wave, but now that I've converted my Wing FEWER folks are waving. I'm just wondering of any other trikers have noticed anything like this? We have a local eating place near me that has "bike night" every Wednesday. They actually segregate the Trikes over on the side where no one comes. They claim trikes " take up too much room to part with the 2 wheelers. Last night 1/2 the parking lot was empty, but we were still relegated over to the side. What are some of you folks experiencing in regard to this "wave issue". Is it just a Southern Ohio thing?

I wave if they do not return it so be it. I would not return to the place that put me in another place. My trike is barely wider then when it was a bagger. I am willing to bet there are more then a few Trikers that are Vets and have disabilities that keep them off two wheels. When and if someone would say something to me I would ask if they supported disabled Vets and Inform them that is why I ride a Trike.

Hell, I've always waved to mopeds and M/C cops also. I don't see a big enough difference when on 2 or 3 wheels to see a trend. Except for the fact that fewer and fewer people wave at all. As far as seperate parking. Things like that really annoy me. I personally wouldn't waste my time or money at a place like that.

I used to flip the bullet bikes off, but riding trikes has made me a little more sensitive and politically correct. Now I am too busy hangin on to do much hand signalling!......just sayin:wave4::D

it,s much the same here in australia, harley riders wont acknowledge but i dont wave to them anyway they all think there someone important, they dont relise that most of there bike is asian made. in my part of the world most riders just nod when we pass, it,s just like saying g,day.

I wave to every bike, trike, mopeds, Especially mopeds, They get a kick when i do, They are the future bikers.. One crowd that won't wave back, Well sometimes they ''do'' give me the Jersey salute, Are the DWI's on bicycles.:wave4::wave4:

I even wave at the cops on motorcycles. Don't know what the new generation of bikers on their Harley's are thinking. I knew some Hell's Angels personally back in the day, and new of several that rode trikes. Not the dressed up wings etc, but trikes just the same. So I don't know. Most Harley riders around here do wave. Thing I have notices is the new position of driving, with the let hand riding on the hip. Wow, now that is cool? Must be really baad to ride with their hand on their hip. Oh well, they probably think the same of the "old B-st-rd riding the trike with both hands on the handle bars. Best to all of them, us included, whoever them and us is. lol

Guess we are blessed here in this part of Texas, we have a huge motorcycle population and a good portion of them are associated with the Confederation of Clubs. Not many years ago the COC did not allow any organization not wearing an MC patch. They now allow RCs, CMA and independent riders thus the COC becoming the COC and I. Now regardless of what you ride or what you are most everyone waves. And most all support one anothers events, it is certainly a nice change.

I actually have more people waving now that I am on a trike.The only one who consistanly don't wave are the squids on crotch rockets but I think they are too busy hanging on and too new or unaware to know what's going on.

I started riding in 2005 on a Honda Rebel 250, and then moved up progressively to a Honda Rebel 450, Suzuki Marauder (805), Suzuki C50 (805), and, most recently, the C90 Lehman trike. Upon relection, I realize I have been acting like a snob, waving only to 2-wheelers 250cc and up and to trikes. The smaller displacment bikes, I thought, were not really bikes. A friend recently bought a Burgman for his wife, with more cc's than I was riding with for years. In a brotherhood, there should be no hierarchy, just brothers (and sisters). Since starting to ride the trike, some of the folks who would have waved to me on the 450 are not waving, especially those on Harleys or crotch rockets. Henceforth, I will wave to everyone, especially little kids on bicycles. Wheels are wheels.

Get a lot of waves :wave4::wave4: pulled out in front of a lady this morning she waved for a mile ,, I think she was happy too see me :Shrug::Shrug:

Great thread. I have a TriGlide. I've been riding for 54 years - started out on UJM's then switched to Harley in 1988.

I wave to EVERYONE - sometimes I miss waving back because I might have been looking somewhere else at the time. I love the looks I get from mopeds.

For the most part I see most do wave - some "badaz" bikers don't wave back - I don't care.

My only peeve is the type of wave - I know it's minor, but back in the day(I still do) a wave was a wave. You raised your arm and signaled with the peace sign, fore finger, or the whole hand. Now the majority of riders can't even lift their arm above their waist. It looks like they're pointing to the ground. Across the hiway and if they are wearing black, you really can't see if they are waving or if you do see them, you don't know if they are just pointing out something on the road to those behind them.

I don't know who or when that became the official salute, but it doesn't seem to be a noticable way of waving - that's just me - an old fart that likes some of the old ways. :wave4:

As for parking somewhere else - screw them - don't go there anymore.

I was worried when I read some posts about groups making trikes ride in the back. There's no way I'll ride in the back - for many reasons, but the number one reason is, I don't want to be the last person to eat (if there's any food left or belly up to the bar. :)

Luckily my HOG chapter lets me ride where ever I want. If they wouldn't have, I'd have told them I'll meet you there and never ride with them again.

Just for giggles I measured my TG and an Ultra. TG = 54', Ultra = 35".

19" difference....a little more then I originally thought, but not a whole lot. :Shrug:

In between the motorcycles of my youth, and the motorcycles of my mid to later life, I owned and love/hated a 1972 MGB. When I owned it (through the 1980s), there were still enough of them on the road that when you saw one, you waved at each other. I guess it's just natural for me to wave at any motorcycle; sometimes they wave back, sometimes they don't - and that's their loss of a little bit of recognition and joy for the day.

A couple of days ago, I pulled to the side of the road to get something out of the trunk. Wasn't stopped for more than a minute when two harley's pulled up behind me to see if I needed anything. Younger guys, probably in their 30s. So there are good on all the brands. If you ride, you ride.

Most of the time I wave when I can, and many times I see them wave first. I also noticed that people do the universal hand signals a lot more than they used as well. (One of them warned me about a cop up ahead and thankfully I slowed down and did not get a ticket. I think anybody who rides a motorcycle or trike should Know the universal hand signals (And no I am not referring to "your number 1"

Garyd, "Just for giggles I measured my TG and an Ultra. TG = 54', Ultra = 35". 19" difference....a little more then I originally thought, but not a whole lot"

I am thinkin that your measurements are going to be even closer than you had thought, unless you did measure the Ultra when it was leaning over on the side stand. I know that my GW certainly became wider when it was setting on the side stand. But I have to agree with the others about riding with someone different if they won't allow you to park with the rest of the "bikes". I am sure that you have better friends to spend you time with.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png