Yellowstone, Here I come in August

Boscoporp

TOI - North Carolina
Jul 28, 2009
Mooresville NC
Hi everyone,

We have decided to travel to see Yellowstone the last week of August. I am looking for some help from some who have experienced it already.

We are going thru Mt Rushmore on the way to YS and Sturgis of course!

We are spending two days in Grand Tetons and then four days at the lodge in Yellowstone. Are their any tours worth going on? What would you suggest that we see while we are there?

After leaving YS we are going thru Cooke City & Cody & then straight east to Ironwood Mountain in Michigan. Then back to NC

When my grandmother was alive, we made this trip every year for about 12 years

when the boys were small.

This year, hopefully it will be the wife and I on the trike if it works out.

The beartooth highway between Cooke City and Red Lodge is supposed to be

the best ride out there. I hope to finally get to do it this year.

There are several videos of bike rides on this highway on Youtube.com

Buffalo Bill Cody Museum in Cody.

A tad expensive, but you can spend all day.

Eat before you go, food prices inside are EXTREME.

The Irma Hotel in Cody is an interesting/expensive place to eat ONCE.

Tourist season in Cody is obviously expensive.

Food in the park is also. Fill up with gas in Cody.

inside the park and West Yellowstone gas prices are higher

We normally stop at the Walmart on the west side of Cody and

buy little bottles of water, chips, a loaf of bread, lunch meat and cheese.

It is one cheap meal once you decide to stop inside the park.

Then throw the left overs into the bear proof trash cans. HINT HINT HINT.

Go north from West Yellowstone Mt and then west over to Earth Quake lake.

Stop and see the little visitors center.

Then a little farther west, back south (into Idaho) a bit and finally east back into West Yellowstone. Kills a couple of hours.

Two years ago, there was a little artiesan? pizza place in the mini mall by the Travel Lodge in west end of Gardiner? Mt., Pizza was good and prices were reasonable.

If you havnt got reservations yet, start looking, there are still some openings popping up inside the park. I have changed my summer trip reservations at Yellowstone twice now due to unexpected problems. Inside the park can be a lot cheaper than outside the park if you rough it a bit. (shared bathrooms and toilets)

If you are coming from the east, go west from Buffalo.

It is a nice ride up and back down.

Stop at Devils Tower in Eastern Wyoming.

Mt Rushmore area, need to take the day and ride the local small roads.

Some good videos on youtube.com

Do NOT eat at the Long John Silvers/Dairy Queen in Gillette Wy'

The fish tastes like onion rings and the onion rings taste like fish.

Ride thru Custer Park, watch out for the buffalo_One popped up from a deep

ditch beside the road and I almost hit him in the car.

ride south thru the Grand Tetons from Yellowstone. Go south to the Moran Junction ? and then turn around.

Do not try to pet the elk, buffalo or bears.....you will understand the warning when you see some of the clueless:xzqxz:

take winter gear, including gloves and wet weather gear. Three times we have been snowed on between cody and the east gate. This was the second and third week of JUNE!

We spent 5 days in Yellowstone last Sept as part of a celebratory trip for Vicki finishing her cancer treatment. We spent a little over 2 weeks on a trip to Utah, Yellowstone and on to Montana. Yellowstone is a great place to tour via trike. Tours are available. We saw a couple of places in West Yellowstone, MT that offer tours. Frankly, I believe you'd get much more enjoyment by riding around on the trike. The roads are all in good shape and you can go at your own pace. Plus, the tour buses tend to congregate at the same places at the same time so crowds seem to be ever present even if they're not. I couldn't believe the wildlife visible from the trike! Always before, on the bike, I never got a chance to see critters.

This time I could!

Werewolf gave you some great advice. Wife and I took our bike there 3 years ago and spent 7 days there. We enjoined going to each entrance as they each have different aspects of beauty and things to see. I'd have to say the best was taking the ride north out of Cody up Cheif Joseph Highway. You run into Beartooth Pass about mid point. We then headed east on it to Red Lodge and ate lunch there. Has to be one of the most beautiful rides we have ever taken. I believe it's considered one of the top most scienic drives. Watch the weather though. We were there July 4th and drove past snow on the side of the road 10' tall.

The next day a snow storm closed the highway down. Take a camera. It's a great trip.

Everything between Sturgis and Mt Rushmore, Cody, Jackson Hole, Yellowstone, Beartooth, Cooke City, Red Lodge and back to Sturgis, is terrific.
We have been there many times and never get tired of the area.

I must be the only person in the world that doesn't love Yellowstone. For my money, time is better spent riding around Yellowstone. From Logan, UT head up the canyon (gorgeous ride) to Bear Lake, which is the bluest lake you will ever see, then up Paradise Valley past Palisades Reservoir (breathtaking scenery....I sound like a travel brochure) and you'll drop right down into Jackson over Teton Pass. Cody is a great town to spend time in, and Bear Tooth pass and the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway are not to be missed.

Boscoporp, you are going to love Yellowstone. Mr. Werewolf did give you some wonderful pointers and terrific ideas. I'm with him 100%....Don't try to pet anything!!! And don't think getting closer will make for a better picture. As for tours??? You are on the best tour guide there is... your trike!!! Tommy and I have been to Yellowstone many times, and each time I experience something new. I will give you a little bit of advise... if you find yourself on the same side of the road, AND in the same lane as a buffalo...

just sit tight, don't make ANY sudden moves, don't look him in the eye and PRAY he just passes you by and decides not to swing his head to rid himself of a fly. Yep, came that close several times but after he passed by, wow, what a rush!! Usually there's no place to go because traffic is backed up and the "cage people" all want pictures. I've experienced this three times and so far my angel always protects me. Other than that, go have fun and don't forget to watch for the eagles, they are beautiful. Tommy and I head for Alaska the first week of July, so maybe on our way home in August we might pass you in Yellowstone.

One added precaution. Watch out for the Chinese tour groups! We were more popular than Old Faithful! But then maybe it's just because they like yellow trikes! :laugh:

I must be the only person in the world that doesn't love Yellowstone. For my money, time is better spent riding around Yellowstone. From Logan, UT head up the canyon (gorgeous ride) to Bear Lake, which is the bluest lake you will ever see, then up Paradise Valley past Palisades Reservoir (breathtaking scenery....I sound like a travel brochure) and you'll drop right down into Jackson over Teton Pass. Cody is a great town to spend time in, and Bear Tooth pass and the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway are not to be missed.

You are correct, there is a lot to see outside the park.
I think one could spend three weeks there and never run
out of stuff to do in the area.

I like going north from West Yellowstone thru Ennis and on up to Helena.(Nothing exceptional, just pretty county as you travel.)
Then from there up to the east side of Glacier. Thru the park and back south to Helena. (Nice when the room and board is FREE at my uncles LOL)

If our trike trip works out in early August,
I have another trip in mind for two years from now.
I want to hit Yellowstone again,
Then Glacier Natl Park and then all the way
up to Banff Canada.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Astro5150

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Astro5150
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png