Trike Over at 50+ MPH

On my ’08 Wing/Rodsmith on Saturday 13 April warm sunny day about 4 PM east bound on Interstate 66 in Fairfax, VA, about 66 MPH in left lane. Cars ahead came screeching to a stop. Besides braking, I also chose to dive into police lane (between cars and Jersey wall, which was not occupied).

Down to about 50 MPH, and one of the cages had the same idea – caught my right rear fender and flipped me up on my left side. (I had on full gear.) Don’t remember much, except the trike was driving me into the Jersey wall. When stopped, seems like a fuel leak, but to heck with the bike. My chest will killing me and I could not breath. Bystanders pulled me straight (was up on my right side, but left side is what was hurt. I thought legs were pinned, but weren't. I was able to coach a couple how to get helmet off, and they padded my head. Life squad seemed to get there quickly, but I wanted to have nothing to do with them, as they need to strap me to back board, and with 7 broken ribs, it was well. I kept batting at them with my arms telling them to stop, - - no such luck.

Inova Farfax was close. Was bleeding inside chest wall. They knocked me out and put in a large chest tube to try to keep the chest drained. Lot happened following week, but bleeding did not stop, so Saturday, had more surgery to put in two chest tubes. Also they used a roto-rooter tool with light, cutting blade, flushing solution, to try to wash out the blood clots. Finely 10 days after accident, liquid (now part blood and part clear) started slowing. This morning I had one tube taken out. The tubes hurt far exceed the pain of the broken ribs. Looks like second tube will stay in for a couple more days. Still in Shock-trauma though.

Safety gear – only place I got road rash was knees, as I had on heavy chaps. I had a full armor winter Joe Rocket coat, which I have not seen, though I’m told the EMTs did get it cut up into about 10 pieces. Joe Rocket boots came through un-scathed. New Noland N104 helmet did it’s job, as I’m told it is in very sad shape. I’ll see it when I get home.

Now for trike. On side which struck cage, NO damage. Left side, which went down on, (fender, fairing, turn signal, and main trike body, plus a few small things.) Have seen phone photos, which don’t show me much. Geico involved in getting it fixed, though first order of business is to get me home.

WOW, sounds like you are glad to be typing the message. I think someone was watching out for you. Good thing you had on the proper wear or you might have been much worse although I don't know how as it sounds very bad now. Prayers coming your way. Heal quick. The trike can be replaced. You did the right thing it just seems like you got stuck by someone else taking the same action.

Hope you keep on the mend. Sounds like a very bad experience. Thank goodness for the safety gear. You never know what is in store for you. Hope you get back to riding this year.

Wow, two chest tubes and had to knock you out. I hope you mend quickly and can enjoy some of the riding season yet this year. With ribs it takes awhile especially the older we get, but as long as you don'tpush ddoing anything you should be good.

Blueribbon, that is one scary story!!! Thank God you are going to be better and you can count on it that you have many friends here who will be praying that your recovery goes well, and quickly! Please keep us updated.

I don't know what to say..... I'm extremely glad you are going to pull out of it ok. Blueribbon, you had a passenger that day riding on your shoulder, she was called an angel. Hope you mend fast and well. God speed.

Thanks for all the well wishes. 2nd tube out of back this morning. Not pleasant all, but 30 minutes later felt like an all new back.

they think I can go home tomorrow or Tue. Hope I can work successfully with Geico.

I'll keep you informed. Great group to belong to.

Bill

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuziQ

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuziQ
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png