Power Commander V

Ironhorsepilot

Contributing Member
Oct 15, 2008
Southeast Va
I received this yesterday and just opened the box. It says for racing vehicles only, not to be used on a public road. What The Heck????? Will this be too much throttle response for me? I don't want to go flying across the highway.

IT's pretty much a CYA for the makers of the device.

Once installed, it over rides the computer setting that let the bike pass the EPA standards for emissions.

Pretty much anything done to improve performance on your bike will upset the EPA.. after all, your now polluting the environment.

So changing exhaust or intake will usually require mods to the computer system because these things are set pretty lean already and devices like the power commander allow one to change the air fuel mixture (make it richer).

it's installed in-line with the existing module, and making changes down stream of the computer makes the motor happy.

More air more gas better exhaust = more go!

OFF road is exempt from these same standards.

If you notice, many after market exhaust systems state they are for off road use only (its in the fine print) (Ha Ha).

The Vance and Hines slip on were also from the same catagory "racing vehicles only" because they do not meet EPA noise standards. So you got the correct power commander now have it installed and programmed correctly, unless you had it pre-programmed. Programming is easy you can even load the program on to the power commander from our home computer using the 9 volt battery power supply. You will notice the difference right away.

Yea, I feel better now. I had it preprogrammed. All this stuff is new and confusing to me! I am learning though and that is fun!

We installed the PCV. Drove it a short distance due to lack of time. I really didn't see any difference in throttle/acceleration response, but I did think the bike ran smoother. So I am happy about that. No adding throttle and taking off across 4 lanes of traffic out of control, well, anyway, that is the way my brain over thinks sometimes!!:eek::eek: Now I hope it runs cooler.

You will not feel much difference until you get in to the torque curve peak. Depending on how it's programmed you should feel more pull around 2500 rpms to 4000 rpms or there abouts.

IHP,

Just go to www.powercommander.com. There you can download the software and the maps for your particular configuration of air box modifications, brand of pipes, etc.

Once you get them loaded to your computer, its a simple process to transfer the map to the Power Commander itself.

Good luck!

Reskul,
yes, I did.

Fuel Moto has their own Dyno functions and have preloaded your map using what they feel is close to your set up. They can't be exact. For the most part Jamie's map will be very close but I have found his map to be overzealous in the cruising ranges to the rich side. This will only affect your fuel mileage a bit and only a mile or two a gallon.

One really nice thing about purchasing from Fuel Moto is their unbelievable customer service. If you find that your map is not what it should be then give them a call and let them know. They will ask you questions and narrow it down to adjust your map. They will email the new map to you and you simply install it on your Power Commander. Doesn't matter if it is a PCIII or PCV as long as you purchase it from them. Maps found on the Power Commander site will be about the same. They are caned maps that may be close but not exactly what you need. This is why they have created the auto function. If it does as designed it will take a closer map and within many hours and miles of riding adjust your map to fit your bike and riding style.

It has been my experience, going behind the maps designed by Fuel Moto, that I have found some discrepancies in the fuel tables that needed to be adjusted. These adjustments that were made actually would be the difference between a map to fit all and a map to fit the particular motor and equipment combination. There is no way that Fuel Moto or Power Commander can make you a perfect map. They can only come close as each motor runs or is ran differently. Such as.. if you lined up 10 exact bikes and loaded one map it would probably be fine for most of them but it could be adjusted to make others run better. Although they look the same there will always be differences internally that can't be seen and ridden differently.

Bottom line would be... If you find the reduction of heat or the increase of power is not to your liking then give Fuel Moto a call and speak with them about it. Another option would be to find a Dyno for a trike or come by my house one weekend and I'll test it for you. :D

Reksul,

Have you found any variances from the mapping when using increased fuel octane levels?

Dave

Dave.. no, not really. I try not to move the timing advances without cause. I've found HD to be a little advanced in their timing specs which is fine by me but hellish on a hot/lean EPA motor thus the early ping response.

On Aftermarket cams I contact and get advise from the manufacturer but their main stay is to keep the HD timing chart as a norm. If you feel the need to advance then do so by 2*increments in the upper rpm ranges at WOT only.

Oh sorry.. if asking about AFR or VE variances in a map then the answer would be rarely because when I test it is done with the same gas in the tank. If I take readings one day then set the system up for checking a previously changed map on a later date and find a needed change I would not see it on my motor as a gas issue as I fill up with premium at the same station although gas is gas no matter where you fill up at. Additive advertisements are normally for market share only. The gas trucks deliver from the same storage tanks to all stations of all brands.

Since octane is related to the ignition time within a compression stroke then it will effect the timing range not the AFR's or VE tables.

Last edited:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png