Hitch for a VW Trike

Jan 24, 2013
Murray KY USA
I have a 1978 Beetle trike .. need information on how to put a hitch on it ... I have searched You Tube and several other places and can't find any information
Any Info is a big help thanks

Is there any other options installing a hitch without having a cage?

The way my trike is designed, it would be a big PITA to cut it up and install a cage.

I know years ago, there was some company that built hitches for VW's but dang if I can find them now.

I saw a hitch on a VW trike that was VERY bare bones.

I looked at it and it made sense.

The owner had welded 2 large nuts (I think they were 3/4") to the 2 "Horns" that mount the engine.
He welded them about 12" from where the engine bolts into the horns.

Then he took 1x2 rectangular steel bars (hollow) about 3' long (Just long enough to clear the rear of the motor) and took 2 pieces of the same 1x2 steel and welded these between the 2 long pieces at the rear.

He took a piece of steel that looked like 3/4" thick by 4" and welded this in the center.
This is what the hitch ball attached to.
(Drill the hole for the ball before welding)

Then he propped this up and cut a couple of pieces of steel (it looked like 5/16" x 1 1/2")
for support brackets that went from the top of the shock towers to the rear of the hitch
frame. These brackets were bolted with Grade 8 bolts (both top & bottom)

It was compact and looked very strong.

The cool thing about it was that it could be taken off.

I hope that you can understand my description.
Please feel free to contact me for more help.
I wish that I had had my camera to take a picture of this setup.

That does sound like it would work pretty good DrumDoctor.

Actually I think I am going to build something like this:

http://www.carid.com/1968-volkswage...1642124.html?gclid=CJPH1abdzr0CFeZDMgodgzIAYg

The opposite end from the ball mounts to the torsion bar struts. I will probably just use trailer axle "U" bolts on that. The rear part that normally mounts to the bottom of the bumper will have to be modified as I have "nurf" bars rather than a bumper. Seems like it would be a pretty simple yet strong system.

I just can't believe they want $175 for that! I have kind of priced the steel for it, and it looks like it will be about $60 to $70. Probably take a couple of hours to build. :laugh:

Have you got any pictures of that setup?

Also, how are the wheelie bars attached?
Here's a pic of back of my VW. I meant to only attach the rear view. Somehow a pic of my wife sitting on it snuck in also and I can't seem to delete it.:qpnmt:

Attachments

• 2013-08-18 12.13.29.jpg
    2013-08-18 12.13.29.jpg
    772.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 2013-08-18 12.07.56.jpg
    2013-08-18 12.07.56.jpg
    742.3 KB · Views: 73
Grigglybob,

After looking at several VW trikes, both at Bike Week & Biketoberfest in Daytona, I got with my welder and fabricator and came up with 2 brackets that are welded on the 2 "Horns"--

The hitch itself is made from 1x2x1 rectangular steel. You can make any kind of structure to attach the hitch ball to.
I will add a pucture of that as soon as I take a new one---the old pic went somewhere.

Hopefully, the 2 pictures are attached.

If they don't come thru, contact me and I'll send them to your email.

Attachments

• Hitch Brackets--Left--Sm.jpg
    Hitch Brackets--Left--Sm.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 66
  • Hitch Brackets--Rt--Sm.jpg
    Hitch Brackets--Rt--Sm.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 63

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png