Fork Seals

FRR

Oct 12, 2012
Batavia Ohio
I'd be interested to get some feed back on this issue. Are trikes, once converted from 2 wheelers, harder on fork seals then normal? I had my seals replaced at 53,000 and now at 63000 I've got one leaking again. Opinions welcome. Facts really welcome

My 2005 Goldwing Motor Trike blew the left fork seal at 86,000 miles, all but 8k triked. According to my mechanic, the seal started leaking because of the "Teflon coated bushing" in the fork wearing out. You would think the stress on the forks from being triked would be really hard, but 86,000 trouble free miles would indicate it's not a problem.

My 2005 Goldwing Motor Trike blew the left fork seal at 86,000 miles, all but 8k triked. According to my mechanic, the seal started leaking because of the "Teflon coated bushing" in the fork wearing out. You would think the stress on the forks from being triked would be really hard, but 86,000 trouble free miles would indicate it's not a problem.

I bought a 2005 MotorTrike with rake kit, with only about 2000 miles on in about a year and a half ago.
almost immediately the seals start leaking. Replaced them. at 3000 miles they started leaking again, so replaced them. Both forks leaking each time.
Both times the teflon was worn off the bushings. At about 14000 miles, I replaced again. I was convinced the triple tree rake kit was misaligned, since that's the only difference in the front end from stock, so I replaced it....we'll see. (It's only been 2 -3000 miles since that was done)

I rebuilt my forks when my '06 was converted and the rake kit installed at 73 K. Last December I had the front end off so decided to just check the forks. Sure enough, the guides and sliders were pretty worn again. That's at about 25K on the forks.

My guess is we probably need to watch a bit closer then two wheelers do and be ready to rebuild. It's a NASTY job and takes patiences but can be done by anybody that knows their way around in a work shop.

I'm getting mine replaced today and will keep a sharp eye on them. My tech advises to wipe them off every day since hitting bugs and such can actually do the seals damage.

I'm getting mine replaced today and will keep a sharp eye on them. My tech advises to wipe them off every day since hitting bugs and such can actually do the seals damage.

:Agree:

I wipe my exposed forks off every time I clean my windshield. Just a practice I got into many years ago...

I could be wrong, but I certainly thing that raking does add wear to the front fork seals. I had NO seal problems until I triked my 2005 at 36K.
I now have 76K on her, and have replaced the front seals twice.

Well, I'll let you folks know. I only had the left one installed since that was the only one leaking. (Gonna save the other one for when I need it, IF I need it). We'll see how long before I need to do it again. Hope it is a long time.

If you didnt get your sliders replaced itll probably start leaking soon again. Ive done my forks twice in the last 50,000 miles and the bottom left side bushing has always been the worst. When I rebuild them I put all new parts in them so I dont have to worry.

Another consideration is the brand of seals/parts being used. On a GL1500 wing, I ordered seals from an ebay supplier, that were very apparent thinner than Honda OEM seals. Sometimes cheap ain't so good.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lanakent900

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lanakent900
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png