High voltage

Oct 28, 2012
portland,Oregon USA
From day one my 2013 Tri-Glide registered 15.9 volts and I figured it was the gauge being off. No big deal. 5,000 trouble free miles and a few days ago on the freeway at 60 mph all the gauges shut down, radio quit but the engine never missed a beat. About 30 seconds later the gauges started working except the voltmeter. I knew then that I was running on battery only and headed home. Got home, kicked the tires (they still had air) and moved a few wires. Started it up and had 14.5 volts. Talked to the dealer and they scheduled me for the next day service. (today). Nice place to go with problems. Free coffee, clean restrooms and a couch for napping.

They ran a series of tests and determined the voltage regulator had spiked and shut down. I guess they called the headquarters to verify their findings. The service was first class and I was kept informed of what was happening and why they were doing it. They had only had one problem that was similar so its probably not a big deal. Warranty covered everything. Just commenting on the fine service I received.

The 2012's had regulator problems also, mine went out at the Trike Talk Rally in Maggie Valley, NC. last year. Dealer replaced it when I got home under warranty. You would have thought they would have solved that problem before the 2013's had come out.

My volt gage also reads high (well over 15 volts) but I figured that was just the nature of the beast. You folks got me worried now as I'm heading on a trip to TX next week.

Are there any checks I can do to verify everything is OK (or not OK) before heading out? Maybe do a voltage check with the bike running using a quality multimeter?

My volt gage also reads high (well over 15 volts) but I figured that was just the nature of the beast. You folks got me worried now as I'm heading on a trip to TX next week.

Are there any checks I can do to verify everything is OK (or not OK) before heading out? Maybe do a voltage check with the bike running using a quality multimeter?

yes ..if you have a volt meter take the voltmeter leads and read across the positive and negative post at the battery while its running and see what your reading is..If over 15 take it in for service..

My regulator has been replaced at least once and stator twice (in 57k miles). That high, or erratic, voltage is usually one of the signs for me. Proving it is another story.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png