How Many Viet Nam Vets Here?

I read this quite often and the big difference between the way Vietnam vets were treated and today vets are treated makes a huge difference in how the rest of someone's life is going to be, like will there be a lot of anger issues, drugs, alcohol, so many things that can effect the rest of your life.

I sometimes think one of the reasons why current vets get treated differently is because us Vietnam vets remember how we were treated and will do everything we can do to make sure it doesn't happen again!!

BTW as far as the AF my feelings are that you served as well and without your support we would have been in deep doo! You are Viet Vets in my eyes!!!

I still get pissed when some of you say the AF are not Nam vets because we didn't have boots on the ground. How the fu!!k would you know!! You we're not there with all of us!!!! I was I in Mekong Delta in the ****!! There were AF combat there too. Maybe I took something the wrong way but don't think so. We got shot at, mortars thrown at us as well as 107 and 122 rockets fired on us! As you know these things kill. I had to go out in the boonies also!!!!! Then when you tell people you were there in 70-71 they say, oh you there when it was clean-up. Excuse me but people were still going home in body bags then. Would have been there in 68 but enlisted instead of getting drafted. So was in 4yrs. instead of 2yrs. Plus not everyone was a grunt. Sorry about going off but i'm tired of hearing these.

I don't care if the Air Force had boots on the ground or not. I just know that we (grunts) were happier than a pig in mud when those fast movers went over head and did their thing. Kept or got our butts out of alot of s**t. When those 52's went over head, there was always a lot of big grins on the ground:D:D
In my book, you guys are Viet Nam Vets, and you should be proud of it. From one Nam vet to another, Semper Fi, and thank you for being there for us grunts.

Eagle1, now I know who to blame for dropping that crap on us.

I had to pay for my poncho 'cause it ate holes in it.

Ride safe

Pops

I've read a few posts from you guys. I thank you as I do my Australian ex defense personnel for their service.

Stick together guys. You were all a piece of the jigsaw, all important and all appreciated. I love you guys. I'm so proud of you all.

I joined the RAAF in '73, worked the prison system as a warder etc. Spent my working life working alongside returned servicemen with coping issues. Perhaps my feelings can be shown in this way

LUCKY LIVES

I ponder my lucky life
As I pass my middle age
And think of what I haven’t done
To turn another page

I haven’t felt the ‘G’ forces
In a spitty’s flying suit
Bullets in my belly
By a 109 pursuit

I haven’t worked a rail line
Nor had an empty gut
And haven’t had my limbs amputated
In a stinkin’ Burmese hut

I’ve done a lot of labor
In a Telecom trench
But I haven’t dodged a bullet
In the ‘Somme’ of stench

I’ve basked in the tropical sun
Without worry or care
But I haven’t searched for a man trap
In the Vietnam orange air

I’ve watched the desert storm
And worried about diggers fate
But I haven’t heard a martyr
Before he detonates

I’ve marched as a rookie
To protect the human race
But I didn’t return from ‘Nam
With tomatoes in my face
-a disgrace

As I ponder my lucky life
I wonder how it can be
Then salute our fighting soldiers
That made our lives so free

It only takes a moment
To thank them for our lives
That shaped our country’s future
And filled us with our pride….

Tony Russell Dawson
Strathbogie Victoria Australia

Saigon Evac. '75. Enlisted in '73<i> because war was over</i>. Went TDY attached to 5th Marines because I held a "critical MOS", 92DP. Flew Medevac to Tan Son Nhut and Saigon off the Big E. War was over...my as#. Never reflected on DD214, frickin politics. Bitter? Still. Recently joined PGR.

Viet Nam 69-70 was a RTO.. talked to the pilots a few times.... they were on the money and saved our asses a few times and would like to shout out to them...

WELCOME HOME... fellow Brothers in Arms.

I was an RTO [66] Just wondering if you did the same?, When i was resupplied with extra battery's
every one wanted the plastic bag they came in , So i worked out a deal, they would carry the extra one, And then when i needed a fresh one they kept the bag... Had to save weight some how..:laugh:...

Vietnam vet here, 1967 1968. Can still see the image of LBJ and McNamara hunkered over a map of Vietnam picking out targets. Coming back to the states, we were told to NOT wear our uniforms and try to "blend" in with the public. I am still resentful.

Just joined the club this week. I am a Nam Vet from 1970-71. Americal Division in Chu Lai. Was a Classified Courior/Tower perimeter guard for the Marines when they came in for a 48hr rest. I was Army Sp4/3 years service.1969-1972. I grew up in the Military. Dad was a Lifer in the Navy.

Wow. Can't believe I haven't responded to this thread, till now. I served From "73"-"75" active. Of course we were pulling out of Nam during 1973, and I served on board a destroyer tender with the 6th fleet. So unlike many of you I wasn't in the action of it all. Drafted the last year of the draft and after active duty stayed on as a reservist for 5yrs.
I am a member of a motorcycle group that honors veterans of all branches and does rides to honor them. Anyone here can participate with your local group if you wanted to celebrate the event's for our veteran's.
The group is called, "Warriors' Watch Riders".
I'll be riding this Thursday the 26th In Newtown Pa. im memory of those vet's buried and who's graves were not visited.
cooltech:cool:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png