How Many Viet Nam Vets Here?

Because of the title to this thread I never posted. I am a Vietnam era veteran (joined during Vietnam but got sent elsewhere) not a Vietnam veteran who actually went to Nam. Many to this day don't understand the difference. What bums me out is that someone who was drafted and made to go to Vietnam holds more status with the VFW then someone who joined and got sent elsewhere. You can still join the VFW but your considered a second class citizen to a drafty who was drug off to Nam. At least that's the way I understand here where I live. And that is why I choose not to join the VFW. Crap... MP's are on the way, I'm outta here.

Now to SMSgt. I have to agree with you technically but my feelings are, and always will be, that ANYONE who had a part deserves credit. Please do not sell yourself short, you were and are just as important as the rest of us regardless of what our government chooses to say...

Thank you, I have always felt a little lacking because I was not sent to SEA.

- - - Updated - - -

Because of the title to this thread I never posted. I am a Vietnam era veteran (joined during Vietnam but got sent elsewhere) not a Vietnam veteran who actually went to Nam. Many to this day don't understand the difference. What bums me out is that someone who was drafted and made to go to Vietnam holds more status with the VFW then someone who joined and got sent elsewhere. You can still join the VFW but your considered a second class citizen to a drafty who was drug off to Nam. At least that's the way I understand here where I live. And that is why I choose not to join the VFW. Crap... MP's are on the way, I'm outta here.

I agree with you entirely I joined and asked to go. I didn't get drafted and never would have been. I was past the prime age and had a high lottery number. Not to mention that I had to get a medical waiver to join but I didn't get drafted and sent to Nam so I don't count, at least not until now.
Thanks to all of you.

It's good that our country recognizes Vietnam Era Vets as well as Vietnam Vets. Our country was at war, and young men were being drafted to fill the ranks. As a technical school graduate, I was classified 1A by our local Draft Board. I graduated with honors, but no company recruiters would talk with me, because I was slated to be drafted. Joined the Air Force so I could use my education. Got valuable experience while in the Air Force, but fact remains that I was forced to put my life on hold. There was also the possibility that they could send me to Vietnam. Fortunately, folks above me valued me as a technical instructor, so I stayed stateside. Fact is, the Air Force was free to do anything they wanted with me.

Cybervet it took me nearly 40 years to even begin to NOT be ashamed of my service and accept the fact that there was nothing wrong with it, not to mention 2 failed marriages, countless job losses and years of drug addiction and alcoholism. Ya think it could be PSTD? I'm presently 70% disabled due to type 2 diabetes linked to exposure to agent orange, working on 100%. Maybe I should claim PSTD too, many have told me to do so.

Trust me, I understand the PSTD and I had it somewhat easy stationed on a big base artillery camp...

US Navy 1966-1970
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club, 1968. USS Bennington CVS-20. OI Division
Fleet Air Wing -10, 1970. Cam Ranh Bay, VN.
Past Commander of the VFW in Port Orchard, Washington.
Currently 1st Vice Commander of the American Legion #8. Casa Grande, Az.
Proud member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Member of the DAV

I got the VN Campaign ribbon and the VN Service ribbon, but can't prove I had boots on ground in CRB as there were never any orders cut on me. We operated the Operational Control Center there and rotated back and forth to the Phillipines every two weeks. That's where my command was and we rode on our commands planes.

US Navy 1966-1970
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club, 1968. USS Bennington CVS-20. OI Division
Fleet Air Wing -10, 1970. Cam Ranh Bay, VN.
Past Commander of the VFW in Port Orchard, Washington.
Currently 1st Vice Commander of the American Legion #8. Casa Grande, Az.
Proud member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Member of the DAV

I got the VN Campaign ribbon and the VN Service ribbon, but can't prove I had boots on ground in CRB as there were never any orders cut on me. We operated the Operational Control Center there and rotated back and forth to the Phillipines every two weeks. That's where my command was and we rode on our commands planes.

Mr. Graham, You and I served in Vietnam at the same time same Aircraft Carrier.

You and I must have crossed each other path a couple of times while on board the Bennington CVS-20, I served on board from 1967-1969. I was in V-1 Div. (catapult area, flight deck), a blue shirt (aircraft handler), then when we left Vietnam I transferred up to the air control tower as a radio man.
Merry Christmas
Butch

In country with River Assault Flotilla 1966,1967 (brown water Navy). Spent 68 up north of Da Nang. Left after tet 68. Got blown up a few times so I am a disabled vet. My favorite drink in Viet Nam was agent orange soda. I do as much work on behalf of veterans as I can here in Arkansas. To all you veterans, thanks for your service to freedom and the American way.

RiverDoc

stationed in Dong Ha Jan 70-Oct 70 and ETS out and had the same experience as Bongobobny except I changed on the bus ride to NH so I didn't get all the hassle that was being spread, sure is nice to see that the country is seeing things differently now and are proud of the Vets returning.

I was in the Army from 1969 thru 1975 but never Nam (lucky). Son-in-law was in country 69-70. 101st, 3/187th Co. D. Yep, the ones that were on Hamburger Hill in '69, May 10-May 20. I just promised him I would take him out to D.C. next year for the "Rolling Thunder" event.

And yeah, you're right, those were very tough times for our service guys.

ok this not something I talk about much....

I was in delta area Aug. 68 was disabled by motors or rockets I'm not sure,,,

40 some surgeries and 2 and 1/2 years in Irwin army hospital in Kansas discharged into a country that had a lot of contempt with us,, it was not easy for us then but I was always proud to one of those who served and didn't turn their back on our country...for 30 some years I never talked about this then one day while I was doing heating maintenance on a elementary school in a small town near Peoria il. as an outside contractor

the principle came and got me he said "come with me mike I want to show you something in auditorium" when walked in the auditorium the children where in the bleachers he walked up to microphone taking me by the arm with him... there were about 10-15 other guys i recognized from the area seated in front row he told them to stand and he said "we want to thank you viet nam vets and welcome you home" the kids all stood up and clapped and I was over whelmed to say the lest that was i first for me goes to show you can't give up on this country or those who live here

"thanks to all you vets out there"

magoo

Viet Nam vet 66-67 1st Logistical Command ( USA)base camp cam ranh bay (land of the big PX) trk driver,direct supply support for the 101stAbn navy,marines, AF (lotsa bombs!) All over the II corp area.

Wore my uni one time when I was d/ced home from FT. Lewis then into the closet were it sits till this day.

I got the same crap welcome as the rest of the brethern.

Went back to work 2 wks after I got home,4wks after I got home girlfriend dumped me (least she waited till AFTER I got home! But got on with my life married (45 yrs) raised a family,retired from the fire sevice afyer 30 yrs.

Took 40 yrs before I ever got any req. & that was from an army recruiter who was visiting the vo-ed school where I was teaching a Fire safety class!

I was barely born at the tail end of Vietnam (1970). My older brothers both served in the Navy during the war. I don't know the details as one passed away in 1973 and the other hasn't spoke about it. I don't ask either.

I would like to thank each one of you for your service and sacrifices. God bless all of you.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skijudge

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skijudge
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png