How Many Viet Nam Vets Here?

Is was in Nam 67-68 with the 1st Infantry 1/26th Blue Spaders. Yes, I received a similar "welcome". But a few years ago, my wife of 47 years gave me a cap that says 1st Infantry Division Vietnam Veteran, I wear it all the time and it has been a great conversation piece. Not only have I met many great veterans, but I get a lot of people of all ages and young veterans stopping me to say "Thanks for your service". It really is a great feeling to know that our younger generations contain some really great and appreciative people.

I do the same "thanks for your service" to the veterans I meet, especially young ones. They should never have to endure what we did. They should always know they are loved and appreciated. God Bless our service men and women.

The replica of the Texas Capitol Vietnam Veterans Monument is travelling around Texas for anyone who would like to view it. The replica is in Beaumont at the Edison Plaza building, 350 Pine Street till October 6, 2013. It is quite impressive to see, it has all of the dog tags of all Texas Veterans killed or still missing in action and their names. Visited yesterday and was moved by the monument, while there I was handed a envelope that had THANK YOU HERO ON THE FRONT. Inside was a card that said THANK YOU and handwritten inside was a very moving handwritten letter from a lady
expressing her gratitude for service in Vietnam and her freedom. To say the least I was moved to tears standing in the lobby. One of the very best THANK YOU'S I have ever received from anyone. The replica will be in Houston on November 23, 2013 at the Health Museum of Houston, 1515 Herman Drive.

The unveiling of the Texas Capitol Vietnam Veterans Memorial will be March 29, 2014 on the grounds of the State Capitol in Austin, Texas. All are invited to attend this dedication.

Speedy

I'm bringing up an old wound here. I've been reading some of the responses again. There is one that hits a nerve everytime. It's from bongobny. He says any AF & Navy shouldn't be considered Vietnam Vets cause we didn't set foot on Vietnam soil. You know what I have to say to that, BULL**** to you. There was Air Force & Navy on the ground dying just like everyone else. If it weren't for us you and a lot of guys wouldn't be here today. Hell, you were probably a cook or something. Do you think the planes were in another country and flew to Nam for their air strikes????

I was on the ground along with the army, navy and marines fighting right along side them. So don't talk **** you don't know about. I was in the Mekong right on the Mekong River. Ok I'm done ranting for now!! Sorry to bore you, Jcolson

I'm bringing up an old wound here. I've been reading some of the responses again. There is one that hits a nerve everytime. It's from bongobny. He says any AF & Navy shouldn't be considered Vietnam Vets cause we didn't set foot on Vietnam soil. You know what I have to say to that, BULL**** to you. There was Air Force & Navy on the ground dying just like everyone else. If it weren't for us you and a lot of guys wouldn't be here today. Hell, you were probably a cook or something. Do you think the planes were in another country and flew to Nam for their air strikes????

I was on the ground along with the army, navy and marines fighting right along side them. So don't talk **** you don't know about. I was in the Mekong right on the Mekong River. Ok I'm done ranting for now!! Sorry to bore you, Jcolson

EXCUSE ME??? Where in HE** did you EVER read that??? I beg your pardon but I NEVER EVER wrote that nor do I feel that way!!

You owe me a BIG public apology there bub...

Hmmmm, that is a very interesting question and I would love to hear some of the responses! As far as setting foot in country no, you just had to participate. If you had to set foot on the soil it would eliminate the Air Force and the Navy from the honor when we know their service was definately an important part of the effort. In your particular case,it may or may not be the thin line between Viet Nam Vet and Viet Nam ERA Vet. In either case, thank you for your service!!!

There were Air Force on the ground, Air Base's, Navy did have Swift boats in country also. For a short time i had an Air Force FO, With me They [Air Force] wanted credit for the KIA's, Didn't want the Army to get all the credit.
As far as the original question:Shrug::Shrug:

Yes I know they had forces on the ground but not all of them! Good point though! The point I was trying to make was that the Government recognises many as veterans even if they never set foot on the soil...

I think my third quote should clear up any misconception.
I NEVER said anything about them NOT deserving respect or them NOT being veterans. My initial response was to the member who supported the war effort from Europe.

My comment about the Navy and Air force was that even if they didn't step on the soil they are still veterans deserving of all honor and respect. My apologies to Rhino if he misinterpreted but to you Mr Colson I am no longer a member of this site! You have severely angered me for implying what you did...

I think you may have mis-interpeted a post..I didnt see anything bongobobny said to mean that. I'm sure his intent when starting this thread was to recognize and express his appreciation for everyone who served. I would like to personally say to you thank you for your service jcolson.

EXCUSE ME??? Where in HE** did you EVER read that??? I beg your pardon but I NEVER EVER wrote that nor do I feel that way!!

You owe me a BIG public apology there bub...

I think my third quote should clear up any misconception.
I NEVER said anything about them NOT deserving respect or them NOT being veterans. My initial response was to the member who supported the war effort from Europe.

My comment about the Navy and Air force was that even if they didn't step on the soil they are still veterans deserving of all honor and respect. My apologies to Rhino if he misinterpreted but to you Mr Colson I am no longer a member of this site! You have severely angered me for implying what you did...

....and I want to thank you for starting this thread, I have thoroughly enjoyed following it. I also want to say THANK YOU to every one of you who have posted in this thread. Your service may not have been appreciated by some when you got home those many years ago, but you can bet it is appreciated by many now.

I joined the AF in 1972. I was 21 years old and did not go to Viet Nam, as close as I got was C-130 air support from Kadena AB Okinawa. I was sent there and did my job. A lot of people and supplies got moved because of our planes I was in the 18th Tactical Airlift Wing.
I was also on the ground during Operation Iraqi Freedom as well as Operation Enduring Freedom.
I did my part for 33 years and am gladly enjoying my retirement.

I want to personally apologize to bongobny and to all other Vets for my post to him. I had my family read his post and they all said I was taking it the wrong way. So I hope he will forgive me and everyone else also.I really am ashamed for what I said. So I hope bongobny will stay on the site. Again I apologize to Bongohny for my stupidity. Jim

I am a vet of the 1963-66 vintage. I have a question to the group...Do you have to be on Viet soil to be a Viet Vet? Or in my case does working a com center is Europe as a primary link qualifiy a vet as a Viet vet?
A:)
If you don't wear the ribbon then you aren't a Viet Nam vet. I don't wear the ribbon although I supported the war from Okinawa. I do wear the Global War on terrorism, the Iraqi Freedom ribbon and Enduring Freedom ribbon. I am a Viet Nam era Vet but not a Viet Nam vet.
Being a Viet Nam vet isn't something you choose, normally, it is someplace you were, or at least in direct support of. If you are a Viet Nam vet your DD 214 will say so. You won't have to decide if you are or aren't a "real vet" everyone who has a DD 214 is a real vet. We were all in support of each other while we were in and we all support each other now.
Welcome home all you brothers and sisters.

I want to personally apologize to bongobny and to all other Vets for my post to him. I had my family read his post and they all said I was taking it the wrong way. So I hope he will forgive me and everyone else also.I really am ashamed for what I said. So I hope bongobny will stay on the site. Again I apologize to Bongohny for my stupidity. Jim

Apology accepted sir! My feelings are quite the opposite of what you thought! My initial response was to the gentleman in Europe and my intent was that anyone who was a part of it whether on the ground, in the air, on the water or in an office gathering intelligence deserves recognition!

Now to SMSgt. I have to agree with you technically but my feelings are, and always will be, that ANYONE who had a part deserves credit. Please do not sell yourself short, you were and are just as important as the rest of us regardless of what our government chooses to say...

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topaz

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topaz
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png