GPS - wired or battery?

spiritdream

TOI - Massachusetts
Sep 1, 2008
Central MA
For those of you using gps units on your bikes/trikes - are they wired so you can use the adapter (like you can in a car), or do you just run them on battery? If they're wired, what kind of modification - if any - do you need to be sure there's enough "power" to run the bike and the gps (hope that makes sense)?

In my uneducated non-technical English ;), do I need to change or add anything to the trike to make sure I have enough "oomph" to run the gps when riding? If I use battery power alone, I think the stupid thing only runs about 2 hours, so I may need to look at "wiring" it somehow. :rolleyes:

It's fairly easy to add a 12v supply (cig lighter) to just about anywhere on a bike or trike if you don't already have one. I see guys do it all the time for lighting smokes when they ride. If you add one in a less conspicuous place then you can use your 12v adapter but here's my question.

How often do you really need to use GPS and for how long would you need to use it? I keep mine turned off for the most part and will only use it if I am unfamiliar with a certain stretch of road.

To answer your question about power and battery... It will not affect the power (pulling HP or torque) of the bike at all. It may effect the battery charge if you leave it turned and it doesn't have an auto switch to it's own battery or your 12v adapter is powered at all times.

When it is plugged into a 12v outlet that is switched via your key switch then the GPS will start up on it's own when you start the bike. When you turn off your bike the GPS will ask you if you want to continue using it on the internal battery or should it be turned off. Just hit the off button on the screen and walk away.

Hope this helps even if a little.

Last edited by a moderator:
One note of caution if you are using a Garmin GPS and you want to hard wire it be sure to purchase the proper adaptor or you will burn it us, I think it only takes 4 volts or so, that is why the plug end is so big. Adaptors for hard wiring are available on line, ebay. I hardwired my bike because I use the GPS as an MP3 player and wanted to keep a plug free to charge my cell phone on log trips

As Resuk stated most times you can make it on the GPS Battery alone.

One note of caution if you are using a Garmin GPS and you want to hard wire it be sure to purchase the proper adaptor or you will burn it us, I think it only takes 4 volts or so, that is why the plug end is so big. Adaptors for hard wiring are available on line, ebay.

Exactly what he said !

I use a Garmin NUVI 500 which is waterproof and I hardwired the adaptor.

I plug my GPS into it when I ride. I use a RAM mount to attach GPS to

my handlebars.

Rob .....

Hey Rob

Did you know that Ram mount just came out with a new type of retainer? It fits under your left hand mirror shaft so you can get the clamp off of your bars. Pretty nice. You can get this piece to add to your mount for about 12 bucks.

Hey Rob

Did you know that Ram mount just came out with a new type of retainer? It fits under your left hand mirror shaft so you can get the clamp off of your bars. Pretty nice. You can get this piece to add to your mount for about 12 bucks.
Yes I use one of those on my left handlbar mirror mount. I am running
fairing mirrors so the hole was empty.
robandlyn-albums-our-bikes-picture1190-gps2s.jpg

On the right side I use the one that uses the bolts for the handgrip.
The mirror mount or bar clamp put the GPS too far to see it.
On my Dyna I use a better looking clamp from Kuryakyn for my
setups on that bike. Pictures are in my album.
Rob ....

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bruce Tapscott aka T.P.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bruce Tapscott aka T.P.
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png