New fron tire cured head shake.

May 20, 2012
Charlotte, NC, USA
I have had head shake at 25-35 mph on my Roadstar/Champion bike w/ezsteer since new. With 22k on my second Dunlop, I installed a Michelin Commander rear tire on the front. The head shake has disappeared.
The Michelin sidewalls seem to be a lot stiffer than the Dunlop rear I had been running.
I thought this bit of info might help someone with the same issue.

I have had head shake at 25-35 mph on my Roadstar/Champion bike w/ezsteer since new. With 22k on my second Dunlop, I installed a Michelin Commander rear tire on the front. The head shake has disappeared.
The Michelin sidewalls seem to be a lot stiffer than the Dunlop rear I had been running.
I thought this bit of info might help someone with the same issue.

Always Good to know.....THANKS for the tip on yet another good "Rear on Front" Conversion.....ThumbUp

Very interesting! What Dunlop were you using? I'm on my second year with a rear Dunlop E-3 with no problems as of yet. I chose the E-3 due to the best tread wear number...

This is interesting. I have the opposite problem. I had a Dunlap E-3 ("regular" front tire) which remained on the bike when converted from 2 to 3 wheels. It performed perfectly. Recently, with the tread down a little, I thought I'd treat myself to a new Bridgestone BT-45 (rear, sized for front). Almost immediately I encountered a shimmy in the 55-70 speed range. It doesn't do it all the time, it seems if I hit a slight bump, or have a cross wind condition, something "sets it off". Sometimes it's slight and brief - sometimes severe enough to require a quick slowdown to stop the shimmy. Since the new tire is the only thing that changed and it never did it before, I was blaming the tire, but was wondering if I was nuts. Anyway, this just started in the last week or so since I changed the tire.

Maybe I should have stuck with the "old" E-3 while it still had some life in it.

I'll now have to research a source for one of "your" Michelin Commanders or similar. Anyone have other suggestions? The bike is a GL1500 with a "superbrace" (had for years). I thought the BT-45 was one of the "top shelf" brands, but maybe not for my situation(?).

Last edited:
I have had both the Michelin, BT 45 and E3 on the front of my trike and find I prefer the BT 45.For me it is smoother riding and bites deeper into the corners. I ride a 90 Goldwing 1500 trike.
The Michelin is available at the Motorcycle Superstore. I used the Pilot Active. I was very happy with it but due to a faulty valve stem it was run very low on air for a lot of miles so I replace it with the BT 45.I have not had any shimmy problems with either of the 3 tires, which leads me to suspect maybe there is something wrong that you didn't know about before. Air pressure, installation, balance, steering head bearings.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png