Rough engine

Nov 25, 2012
New Market MD
Now keeping in mind I have no useable mechanical skill, I need to know if I screwed up.

I have a 2010 Tri Glide with 8,000 miles. Wife and I went for a ride this weekend and I felt like it was running a little rough. I came home and put a little STP Fuel injector and Carb cleaner in the gas tank.

I went out to start it tonight, and it turns over, but conks out. I've tried four or five times, but it will just not start.

Of course, the wife says "you sure you can use that stuff on a cycle?" I know there is a difference between a car engine and say a chain saw engine, but I thought the bike would be similar to a car and it wouldn't hurt.

So how bad is this, or is it something else, and just a coincience?

any help appreciated
Ray:Shrug:

any lights flashing after it stops? Can you hear the fuel pump when you turn on the bike??

How are the batteries in your FOB?

Gas in the tank is there any? Heard someone recently gauge showed it had gas but it was empty..

Just some things to check..

I don't think the injector cleaner is your problem, I'd start with the suggestions from trikermutha and go from there.

Gonna try again tonight after work. Has 1/2 tank of new gas, battery is only 1 month old and has been on trickle almost every night if I don't ride it.

As long as you only put in a reduced amount of cleaner, I.e. only enough for 6 gal, then I wouldn't think that would be a problem. If you poured entire bottle, that would kill it. As far as rough running, I am wondering if you are getting early onset centrifical clutch issues (for reference, I get 25k miles out of that item). If not assembled correctly, could be issue.

Gonna try again tonight after work. Has 1/2 tank of new gas, battery is only 1 month old and has been on trickle almost every night if I don't ride it.
How about your secuirty battery on your keychain?? Is that new too??
Are you on a angle at all??

Well it seems it started tonight without a hitch. Guess the fuel mixture had a chance to settle in better and blend in? In fact once it kicked in, I turned it off and tried a few time. Started each time, then I took it for a spin and it ran better than ever. Quick pick up, lots of umph.

So who knows....

I appreciate all the suggestions. Nice to have a place to turn when you have a question, or do something stupid

thanks again.

Well it seems it started tonight without a hitch. Guess the fuel mixture had a chance to settle in better and blend in? In fact once it kicked in, I turned it off and tried a few time. Started each time, then I took it for a spin and it ran better than ever. Quick pick up, lots of umph.

So who knows....

I appreciate all the suggestions. Nice to have a place to turn when you have a question, or do something stupid

thanks again.
when mine was doing the same things it was either my secuirty FOB or the bank sensor.

well enjoy the ride..

If roughness starts right after a fresh fuel fill up or top off, check for water. Usually the engine will start, but not run when you give it the gas. Drove me nuts onetime on my Gold Wing, until I drained some gas out and saw little balls of water in the bottom. Called the gas station and he admitted they had water in their delivery. I brought the wet fuel to him and he filled my tank with a fresh delivery.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fuele

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fuele
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png