further to the waving issue

Aug 30, 2012
Brisbane Australia
as an Aussie from sunny queensland, we may have a different approach to the issue. there is still exactly the same views on waving and non waving. but thats not my question.
here the wave can also be (and quite often is) a nod. you just tip your head, and its reciprocated (usually).
ive seen in other countries a wave up above the bars, and in others a wave below the bar. Does the USA have a standard wave? will the nod be considered a wave?
AHHH the politics of being friendly LOL

If road conditions are such, I just give a nod. That said, my eyes are not usually detailed enough to see someone else nod back.

Some of those that wave appear to be poiinting to something on the ground next to their bike. They extend the arm down and maybe have the fingers extended out. With dark clothes on and the arm extended down it is sometimes hard to see that they are "waving". My "wave" is to extend my arm pretty much straight out with the hand open (air passes thru an open hand easier than a closed one). Some times if the other bike has their "wave" extended more upward then I do the same. I do try to wave to every bike I see regardless of type unless conditions require both hands on the bars.:wave4:

I nod if I'm busy holding in the clutch. The Harley riders seem to prefer the low wave, but sometimes gets missed with their arm blending in with the motorcycle. However it's done, I appreciate being recognized by a fellow rider. By the way, waving is usually not done when in or near a big event with hundreds or thousands of bikes such as Daytona Bike Week.

I'm not sure that there is one "correct" way to wave. I think that the mere fact that you recognize another biker with a wave is sufficient. - Russ

I can remember a very funny thread about waves, what each one meant, and the typical wave as associated with the make of bike. Wish I could find it.

No standard wave, but there is the high five, low five, peace sign, inverted peace sign meaning keep the 2 wheels down, the nod, the point, or the nose up because I don't associate with anyone not riding my make of motorcycle. The nod is usually used when your fingers are tightly wrapped around the clutch lever at a light, stop, or upshift, but can also be used while cruising. You can even wave at cagers but that is most likely the single digit salute to their driving abilities.

Question. Have you ever smacked your hand against the side window while you are driving your cage??

In my opinion the standard wave is the left arm out to the side - preferably above the horizontal with the fingers either open or two up.

I said the exact same thing DakotaTG posted on another thread.
The only time I nod is when both my hands are in use - like leaving a stop for example and the other rider is only 1 or 2 lanes away. It's rediculous to do that on a highway.
I agree about the pointing to the ground as being favored by the Harley crowd - I don't know why - maybe because they are too old and don't have the energy to get their arms above their waist......except for me - I have a Harley and have ALWAYS waved normally. :laugh:
All it is is just respect and aknowlegment for a fellow rider. We really do need to stick together no matter what brand of bike we ride.
An anti motorcycle law affects ALL of us.

Bottom line I don't care if a rider waves or not. I'll still wave. :wave4:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png