rear drum brake adjustments Lehman

Jun 7, 2013
Middletown, NJ
I have an '05 HD w/ Lehman conversion. The back brakes leave alot to be desired (i.e. they suck). I want to check the brakes today, and by looking through the wheel spokes it looks as if the rear brakes are drums, not discs.
Do I adjust the rear drum brakes the same as I would on a car? Any things I should know before I start?
Any recommendation on good brake linings for this trike? Doe Lyndall make drum brake shoes for this trike?
Does Lehman have a shop or user's manual for the Renegade?
Any help will be appreciated.

I have an '05 HD w/ Lehman conversion. The back brakes leave alot to be desired (i.e. they suck). I want to check the brakes today, and by looking through the wheel spokes it looks as if the rear brakes are drums, not discs.
Do I adjust the rear drum brakes the same as I would on a car? Any things I should know before I start?
Any recommendation on good brake linings for this trike? Doe Lyndall make drum brake shoes for this trike?
Does Lehman have a shop or user's manual for the Renegade?
Any help will be appreciated.

Adjusting the drum brakes are the same for a car. I have a Motortrike with drum brakes and when I feel I need to adjust them I loosen the lug nuts, jack up either one side at a time or jack it up from the hitch receiver to get both up. Place jack stands to stabilize the back end, remove the wheel/tire. I pull the drum off and turn the adjuster out till I cant put the drum back on.

From that point I turn it in until I have just a little resistance pushing the drum on over the shoes and re install the wheels

If you have less than 1/8" of shoe material I would advise you to get replacement shoes and get your drums turned for the new shoes.

Your Lehman kit should have 4 lug Ford Mustang drum brake assemblies and the brake shoes, drums, wheel cylinder and spring kits can easily be found at places such as Autozone, Advance Auto or NAPA. 1979 and 1980 Mustangs had the 4 lug brake drums

Lyndall does not make drum brake parts for cars

Tom

Adjusting the drum brakes are the same for a car. I have a Motortrike with drum brakes and when I feel I need to adjust them I loosen the lug nuts, jack up either one side at a time or jack it up from the hitch receiver to get both up. Place jack stands to stabilize the back end, remove the wheel/tire. I pull the drum off and turn the adjuster out till I cant put the drum back on.

From that point I turn it in until I have just a little resistance pushing the drum on over the shoes and re install the wheels

If you have less than 1/8" of shoe material I would advise you to get replacement shoes and get your drums turned for the new shoes.

Your Lehman kit should have 4 lug Ford Mustang drum brake assemblies and the brake shoes, drums, wheel cylinder and spring kits can easily be found at places such as Autozone, Advance Auto or NAPA. 1979 and 1980 Mustangs had the 4 lug brake drums

Lyndall does not make drum brake parts for cars

Tom

Thanks, Tom. I don't have a trailer hitch cover, so I have called Lehman to find out where to put the floor jack without damaging anything. Their tech bulletins says to put the floor jack under the "carrier", but I don't think it will take the loading, and I don't want to go by trial and error.
Ride safely.
Bill

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jb2024Free

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jb2024Free
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png