Stated ( I could not see him, he was to close,)

Dec 16, 2012
Lawton , OK, US
Sunday 9 June 2013 at 1220, while enjoying a ride on a beautiful day in Medicine Park Oklahoma, I had a GMC Yukon decided to backup on the roadway (SO THAT HE COULD GET INTO A PARKING SPACE IN FRONT OF THE RIVERSIDE CAFE). When I noticed the Yukon stop the group that I was with also stopped. I was approximately 8-10 feet behind the Yukon, the next thing I realize is that the reverse lights came on and he began to backup in front of us:xzqxz:. As he got closer I told my wife to hold on we are about to get hit:Trike1:. I stood up on the drivers foot pegs and began to honk the horn and yell at the driver, but to no evale he hit us. My front tire/fender went under the bumper and the Yukon began to push us rearward. My hands came off the grips and I fell forward into the windshield and banged my left knee on the fairing:xzqxz:. The handlebars cocked over to the left as he pushed us backwards about a foot and a half. The driver of the Yukon finally stopped, I don't know if it was because he saw us or from the people around yelling for him to stop. One thing for sure, had we been on a 2 wheeler instead of our Trike it probably would have resulted in much worse injuries and a lot more damage to the Trike. The Trike is going to need a new front fender and a tire ( as it slide the tire sideways and created a flat spot):gah:. We were able to drive away on our Trike after the police arrived and completed an accident report. I do notice that the Trike pulls to the right a little now and you can fell the bump from the flat spot on the tire. The driver of the Yukon was cited for inattentive driving. He wanted to argue with the Officer and stated that I was to close to him and that is why he did not see us and that he wanted me cited for following to closely to his vehicle (that did not happen). The driver stated that he never saw us, even though I was looking right through the back window of his Yukon, it probably would have helped if the ceiling mounted DVD player was not blocking the rearview mirror.

Last edited:
Thank God you both are safe! Having been hit broadside on my trike just last Wednesday, I share your appreciation for the stability of the three wheels! As it is we BOTH will be riding again in no time, and hopefully your new tire and fender replacement will only have you OFF the trike for a day or two :D.

Last edited:
The driver of the Yukon was cited for inattentive driving. He wanted to argue with the Officer and stated that I was to close to him and that is why he did not see us and that he wanted me cited for following to closely to his vehicle (that did not happen). The driver stated that he never saw us, even though I was looking right through the back window of his Yukon, it probably would have helped if the ceiling mounted DVD player was not blocking the rear-view mirror.

First and most importantly,, glad you're all okay!!!

Ya know,,,, if I was faced with a situation like this and saw the driver making that insane statement, the policeman would've probably had me in hand-cuffs because I wouldn't have been able to prevent myself from tearing into his ass. :mad: I know,,,, I know,,,.... Why lower myself to that idiots level,,,..... :gah::cxtv:

WOW, that had to be tough. To have to watch it happen and not be able to do anything about it is madening.
Glad both of you are ok.
Nana, Hope you heal perfectly.

Cage mentality?

I am glad you are both OK.

IT doesn't always work out in our favor.

My friend, Mike De'arcy was struck and killed and his wife was injured by a woman in a hummer from out of state,that disputed the color of the stop light.
She spent a week in jail as punishment and was home for christmas!

Your story gives us hope for a little justice!

So glad you are OK. I had the same thing happen to me, but thank God I had an air horn. I laid on the horn as I was screaming bloody murder. He did finally "see" me (by the way, I was not directly behind him) I was more to his drivers side and could see him in his side mirror. He gave ME the finger......sigh

Ok 1st of all. Great to hear your both OK. I've been ridin Bikes for over 30+ yrs. And I've seen a lot. As many of you have. its still scary. I've rode with clubs thu the yrs and its funny when you travel like that. Everyone has respect for you. But once your by yourself its another story. Remember you have to think for the other guy or girl when on a Bike ! What surprised me is that you drove it away ! Do you know what the cost is to fix it yet ?

. The Trike is going to need a new front fender and a tire ( as it slide the tire sideways and created a flat spot):gah:. We were able to drive away on our Trike after the police arrived and completed an accident report. I do notice that the Trike pulls to the right a little now and you can fell the bump from the flat spot on the tire.

Biggest thing is your alright, and your right had you been on 2 wheels it may have been much worse. I would have the front end looked at real good, the pulling could be a result of a fork or forks being bent. If he shoved you sideways enough to flat spot the front tire I would lay odds there is underlying damage that you can't see.

Didn't you know that its only the fourth wheel that makes the vehicle visible?

Glad your both ok and I hope his insurance pays to fix your trike properly. It sounds like he was reversing just using his mirrors which is a very dangerous habit as there is a huge blind spot.

Ya can't cure stupid!! Make sure you file a claim against HIS insurance. Have you trike check by a dealer. His insurance should pay for the damage and the dealer to check out your ride.
If his insurance gives you any BS about the cost of repairs, mention that you aren't sure of the extent of your injuries, but one of the many lawyers (I got 35 - 40 solicitations when I my Kia Soul was totaled by an inattentive driver) will be contacting them.
Idiots should have to pay for their mistakes.

You didn't state what year the Yukon is but my '07 Suburban has backup assist which sounds an audible alarm and flashes lights visible in the rearview mirror if anything is behind the vehicle when it's put in reverse. If the Yukon has this I would think this is open and shut case and his insurance company should pay to have the trike inspected and repaired as necessary. As other posters have stated I suspect there is damage you can't see.

You are correct, in the photos that I took, you can see the backup camera just above the license plate and the 4 round backup sensors in the bumper of the Yukon:gah:. My Chrysler would have been going nuts about something behind me (more evidence for mepepper). Thank You

Many years ago, 23 to be exact, I was the driver that backed up into - not a bike thank god - but a small foreign sports car. I had just bought the Chevy Silverado and had a camper put on. I was at a side street waiting to turn right. I can't remember why I needed to back up, but I did. I checked all the mirrors and since it was a lightly used side street, I thought I was good to go. WRONG - about a foot back I hit this car. I took full resposibility and apologized and took/paid the ticket. It was my fault afterall.
If it was a biker I know I would have seen him behind me, but not that damn 3' tall sports car. He didn't have time to honk his horn or I would have probably stopped. Oh well a lesson learned. No one hurt and very little damage.
That's why I don't rely on just mirrors anymore and definately do not rely on just the back up camer - I do both and turn my head.

You didn't state what year the Yukon is but my '07 Suburban has backup assist which sounds an audible alarm and flashes lights visible in the rearview mirror if anything is behind the vehicle when it's put in reverse. If the Yukon has this I would think this is open and shut case and his insurance company should pay to have the trike inspected and repaired as necessary. As other posters have stated I suspect there is damage you can't see.

The backup assist system is a big help but not a for sure thing. A couple years ago my dad almost had a guy in a Caddy cream the front of his parked Triglide. Had it not been for my dad honking the horn and hollering he would have gotten the trike. The old guy got out of the car and the 1st thing he said was "My backup system never alarmed that I was too close". The trike was perfectly between 2 sensors which meant they didn't sense it due to the narrow cone of coverage each one has.

First and most importantly,, glad you're all okay!!!

Ya know,,,, if I was faced with a situation like this and saw the driver making that insane statement, the policeman would've probably had me in hand-cuffs because I wouldn't have been able to prevent myself from tearing into his ass. :mad: I know,,,, I know,,,.... Why lower myself to that idiots level,,,..... :gah::cxtv:

Rich, sometimes you can only get true justice at the idiots level. The fact that he was trying to get the victim charged would have me tearing lnto his ass also. They would have to be looking for me in the woods!!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Balcy24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Balcy24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png