Greasing differential on rigid axle HD trike

Jun 7, 2013
Middletown, NJ
Has anyone experience in getting to, and greasing the differential on a HD Lehman package? The info on Lehman says one pump of grease per 1,000 miles, but a gentleman at Lehman said about three pumps per 10,000 miles. Some difference.
What type of grease do you use?
Is the grease fitting accessibe for a person laying on the ground under the trike?
Thanks in advance

I just checked for the grease fitting and found a 5/16 plug. A grease fitting will have to be installed. Not much room to work. I have a Titan trike lift which makes it a lot easier. I have several miles on my 2011 triglide and I'm also wondering about how much grease. Any one out there with any info?:xzqxz:
Thanks
Gary

Not sure about the conversions, but my 2011 Tri-Glide manual says do NOT grease the differential, what is installed at the factory will last the lifetime of the unit.

Sort of strange, because there is a zerk fitting on it.

'09 t/g supplement 99601-09 pg. 5-5 differential

NOTE

never add grease to the differential. the grease added to the factory will last the life of the motorcycle.

From my understanding Lehman is not the same as the Tri Glide. At one time Lehman did assemble the earlier Tri Glides.Just the back ends.. They may not have the same mainteance as a Lehman Trike versus a Tri Glide.

In 09 I converted my Ultra to a Lehman. After installing it I got a noise from under the seat, come to find out my belt was rubbing against the battery box. After a minor fix somehow there was no more noise. This was done at about 2500 miles. Couple weeks ago started hearing a noise in the rear end. Went in to see if I could take it to the mountains and was told there was a problem. I now need new parts for the differential to the tune of $850.00 and the dealership would pick up the cost. Here's my question, do you think that adjustment done at 2500 miles could have tweaked the axel enough to cause major differential problems at 20,000 miles. I think it was a wrong adjustment in the first place causing the current problem, especially when the first words to me were, "We will pick up the cost".

In 09 I converted my Ultra to a Lehman. After installing it I got a noise from under the seat, come to find out my belt was rubbing against the battery box. After a minor fix somehow there was no more noise. This was done at about 2500 miles. Couple weeks ago started hearing a noise in the rear end. Went in to see if I could take it to the mountains and was told there was a problem. I now need new parts for the differential to the tune of $850.00 and the dealership would pick up the cost. Here's my question, do you think that adjustment done at 2500 miles could have tweaked the axel enough to cause major differential problems at 20,000 miles. I think it was a wrong adjustment in the first place causing the current problem, especially when the first words to me were, "We will pick up the cost".

While the now problem could be related to the first problem, unless there is a reason found as to why you have a failure in the differential you will never know.
Did something bend the housing ? Did a bearing go bad ? Was the internal/external machine work done improperly ? Is an internal part failure the cause ?
I would be sure & find out the true cause for the failure & make sure the cause is repaired. Otherwise it will fail again in the future. If it was just a faulty part, & it gets changed out that is one thing. But if a bent housing is there,,,,,,,, or a mis-machined part,,,,,,
Well ya just need to know for sure.
:Trike1:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png