3M Protective film for Trike fenders

May 25, 2013
Keokuk, Iowa
Used to have it on my other trike. Its just a film that you lay on and take all the bubbles out with a credit card. Doesn't come off when you wash it but it will peel off. Great stuff. Anyone know where to get it!

p.s. Tried the spray-on stuff from 3M... disaster, the spray started spitting out blobs and ruined everything.

My Son is in the Car business and he is setting me up with the guy that puts it on the cars. May be try that route. I like having it done vs trying to mess with it and messing it up. Either way they may sell you some at wholesale price. worth a try

I've done some of this work myself, and reading recent forums, it appears XPEL Ultimate is the best. XPEL Technologies Corp.: Paint & Headlamp Protection Material By The Foot

You can get it in bulk. BUT, if you have never done it before, it may be better for someone with experience to do it. It's very easy to screw up and throw many dollars in the trash in a fit of rage (ahem).

This is a good thread on a Viper forum to read about the various products (see 1st page, by texasvenom). Paint Protection Film Recommendations and Prices

put the clear film on the fenders of my trike works great but does anyone know how to get the scuff marks off ? they protect the paint but the scuff marks look awful after you get three or four. Have tried polish doesn't work anybody have any suggestions Thanks

put the clear film on the fenders of my trike works great but does anyone know how to get the scuff marks off ? they protect the paint but the scuff marks look awful after you get three or four. Have tried polish doesn't work anybody have any suggestions Thanks

The plastic its made from cant be polished. It takes the beating your paint job would otherwise get.

Since the stuff can't be polished, like FLTR2008TRIKE said, I wonder if that stuff for headlight lenses & plastic trim could be used to make it look better? I don't have the clear film on my TG yet, so if anyone does try it just let us know if it works or helps. I don't know the chemical make-up of the lens stuff, so I'd keep it off the paint.

Just put them on mine..make sure you clean any waxes etc off first..then spray on the soap water solution and squeegee out the water and air..take your time..work from the center outward and take you time..the fenders take more time because of the curves..
watch the videos the installers have put on the web like youtube..once installed I can barley see the plastic..I have even syn waxed over mine..

The 3M film is superior to the HD stuff. Be sure to get the thickness of film you want as the 3M film comes in different thickness. Also covers more area than the HD kit.
I use a good wax over the HD stuff and it cleans off pretty well with just a detailer on the scuffs. If yours won't clean up it must be a hard one. Think what it would have done to the paint without the film. The film can't stop rocks, but it does most other bangs. Film is cheap compared to paint.

Thanks for all the input. The fender that I thought I made a total mess on looks good even with the blobs. After it dries, approx. 4 hours, you can't see even the blobs. I used an open cardboard box around the fenders so the spray didn't go everywhere, cleaned the fenders then put on the wax that they give you. Makes it easier to remove the film when you want to take it off. This time, I sprayed in small amounts and each time shook the can. Didn't get any blobs on the other fender and the film is invisible. Suppose to last for a year. Huel

I've done some of this work myself, and reading recent forums, it appears XPEL Ultimate is the best. XPEL Technologies Corp.: Paint & Headlamp Protection Material By The Foot

You can get it in bulk. BUT, if you have never done it before, it may be better for someone with experience to do it. It's very easy to screw up and throw many dollars in the trash in a fit of rage (ahem).

This is a good thread on a Viper forum to read about the various products (see 1st page, by texasvenom). Paint Protection Film Recommendations and Prices

My TG has this product by a pro installer who does all the fancy cars near and in Nashville. He puts it on with a spray gel product. I set and watched him apply it, took hours because he covered my side covers, fairing, lowers fenders and the area between the body and fender. Had an issue with some of it and he came to my house to reinstall some of it on the front. It does come with a 5 year replaceable warranty. The fairing doesn't look as good as the fenders but its covered.

FYI install the film over the crest or top of the fender. Mine stops at the front of the curve and guess what, rocks hit the paint just past it.

Karen

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackslapper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackslapper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png