GL1500 roadsmith question

brianl

300+ Posts
May 16, 2013
leominster, ma. USA
Does anyone know if the Roadsmith conversion on a GL1500 turns both wheels or just one? ines due to be done in a couple of weeks and someone asked me this question.

Having both wheels driven, would not be a good idea for a trike. It would want to push the front straight. Making it hard to steer around a corner.

Most trikes have the "open" or standard differential. Which basically means that the power is going to go to the wheel with the least traction.

If you are referring to "both" as the 2 rear wheels, I believe the answer is yes. I have never heard of a "conventional" trike only being driven by one wheel. Some folks mistakenly refer to "outrigger" conversions (i.e. Voyager, Tow-Pac, etc.) as trikes. These are NOT trikes, but are really 4-wheeler's in which the original real wheel remains in place and is the single drive wheel.

Having both wheels driven, would not be a good idea for a trike. It would want to push the front straight. Making it hard to steer around a corner.

Most trikes have the "open" or standard differential. Which basically means that the power is going to go to the wheel with the least traction.

Seabill is right.. Most trikes use the "open" diff set up.. It's safer, provides easier and more stable handling. If you want to see a "posi" style trike go bad.. Sit and watch the boss hoss trike demos sometime! Saw someone go through a ditch, across the road, across the other ditch, and stop in a parking lot only a few feet from a parked car because they turned the wheel accidentally hit the throttle; they panicked and "locked up" and took them that long to realize what was going on, and let off the throttle so they could steer.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rramo
Back