Suzuki C50

spiritdream

TOI - Massachusetts
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2008
Central MA
Hi all! I posted this in the Tires forum, but thought I'd post here too....

Took the trike for an inspection this morning - apparently I have dry rot on the front tire with cracks you could put a coin in. It's the original tire from when I bought the trike in 2007, with 12,600+ miles on them (no, I don't ride as much as I should!), so I guess I can't really complain too much. Considering I rode 300+ miles to & from Americade last week, I'm thinking I was REALLY lucky I didn't have a blowout!! :AGGHH:

Money's extremely tight right now (hence me not being in Eureka Springs), but not riding at all isn't my preference, so I'm looking for advice on what to get as a replacement. I see decent prices on J&P Cycles and Cyclegear.com, but they're for regular front tires. Reading through all the numerous posts here, I think the majority recommend a car tire as a replacement, but how do I determine what would be compatible with my trike?

Thanks for the help, as always!!

Cheri, I don't think car tires are the recommendation. I believe it is recommended to use a rear motorcycle tire on the front; just be sure to get one that is the same size as your current front tire.

That said, it seems it is mainly the big touring bike owners that do this -- Gold Wings, Triglides, etc. I've seen very few of the lighter, smaller bikes go to this option. I'd also question spending the extra money to do this if you are more likely to end up with dry rot than miles on the tire. The goal is to get 25,000 - 30,000 miles on their front tires, and you are not able to get that kind of traveling in. I'd simply stick to the usual front motorcycle tire if I were you.....save a few $$$ if you can.

Most folks arev using the Michelin Pilot Activ Rear Tire . Really very little difference in cost between this tire and the "cheap" ones.

If your trike is going to be sitting for long periods of time in order to prevent side walls cracking out-- get weight off front tire-- let air out and do not expose to sunlight

Thanks all! The rear tires on my trike are car tires, so when I saw recommendations for rear tire I guess I just assumed it meant the same. Thanks for clearing that up. Since I don't have one of the larger touring trikes, think I'll take Nana's advice and just stick to a regular front tire. ;)

Meredog, it's not so much that it sits for "long" periods of time - just over the winter, like everyone else in the northeast, and then it's in a heated garage on a piece of carpeting. I normally ride on good weather weekends in the spring/summer/fall, just not usually too far (100-150 miles per ride, usually). Work tends to interfere with my ability to do more than that. :( Plus, riding alone, and "locally", I just don't manage more than a couple thousand miles per season.

Oh well, since a replacement will only really cost me about $100-$150, if I get another few years out of that, I'll still be doing good! ;)

Thanks for the help!

i will put this here with the mention that i havent tried this myself. but i read an article about looking after tyres in a vintage car book and they were recommending glycerine. Apparently it revives rubber, and helps prevent premature cracking and perishing.

Anyone tried it????

Thanks oneup, but I'm not sure it would help at this point. The inspection guy said there are cracks he could put a coin in, so it's probably too late for that now. I'll know better this weekend when hubby gets home and has a chance to look at it.

Finish the catalytic converters on the 4Runner, check the tires on the trike, help son finish fixing his bike....hubby's list is growing! And he doesn't even drive/ride these vehicles!! :D

Most folks arev using the Michelin Pilot Activ Rear Tire . Really very little difference in cost between this tire and the "cheap" ones.

If your trike is going to be sitting for long periods of time in order to prevent side walls cracking out-- get weight off front tire-- let air out and do not expose to sunlight

i only pd 109 dollars for the michlon

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png