looking for great honest advice on cooling my 13' tri-glide ultra

Re: looking for great honest advice on cooling my 13' tri-glide ultra

will be installing hd stage 1 air cleaner hd chrome air cleaner backing plate,tts master tune kit,vance and Hines dresser true dulls,clock weeks splashdown 4in rolled edge slip on will have dyne tuned after they install se255 cams with hydraulic lifters they assue me this will be a great up grade and will take care of heat problem as well as waking my lower end torch if not they will be fixing on there dime this is a costly upgrade but i plan to keeping trike for the rest of my time

will be installing hd stage 1 air cleaner hd chrome air cleaner backing plate,tts master tune kit,vance and Hines dresser true dulls,clock weeks splashdown 4in rolled edge slip on will have dyne tuned after they install se255 cams with hydraulic lifters they assue me this will be a great up grade and will take care of heat problem as well as waking my lower end torch if not they will be fixing on there dime this is a costly upgrade but i plan to keeping trike for the rest of my time

I do hope you have good luck with those se255 cams in the Trike. They were designed for a much lighter weight machine. Almost everyone I know running them in even 2 wheel Electra Glides don't like the bottom end torque. And most have had to back out some timing to get rid of the pinging. Lighter bikes don't have much problem with 255's.
That being said,,,,,, Harley won't warranty with the good cams for the Trike.

Sloufoot: I respect everyone's right to wear what they want. Me Levis, boots sometimes tennis shoes, T shirt, and some times a 1/2 helmet. I don't wear a leather unless it gets below 55. Never wore a full face helmet. Never wear shorts or flip flops on anything! BUT! I have seen riders dressed like I said in all that when the temps are way above 80. I like a lot on here have rode since the early 80's. I have a ton of miles on 7 Harley's! I seen girls with thong's & boots ( which is eye candy for this old dude) I've seen guys in shorts and no shirt! Like I said I was just talking out loud. I ride to please myself and dress to make myself comfortable. If that what makes them comfortable so be it. I ride a street glide smallest wind screen, No tour pak like a million other ones just like it. I love the feel of the openness a Bike gives you. I've rode it weather from 109 In Phoenix. Too -4 in Michigan ! And I love it. if the wife needs a loaf of bread. I'd rather jump on my bike then the Cage. I'm glad you stopped in to voice your opinion Sloufoot. Opinions are like Nose's. Everyone has one. Lets not let our opinions keep us apart.ThumbUp

No offense taken !! I agree with comfortable ! But I have found ways to pretty much stay out of the sun if I can. Ever tried out one of the water vests ? They work great. If I don't get them wrung out enough I get a wet butt tho !
If you uncover the exhaust tho how do you keep that glowing pipe away from putting out like a furnace? I have mine wrapped with the shields, & they are much better, but still will burn ya.
The tour pac isn't built to come off easily, and besides most of the time I end up riding double.
Ride on Brother !

Now thats some funny sh!t:laugh:, I would have loved to see that myself. If you spend enough time watching people you see some real interesting riding apparel.

The wife was on the back, & even she caught that one ! Maybe it was her pointing that embarrassed him.....But he did get vocal with himself !
The wife had low cut shoes on one day & just bumped the primary with her ankle. Left a good mark for a couple weeks!:Coffee:

I do hope you have good luck with those se255 cams in the Trike. They were designed for a much lighter weight machine. Almost everyone I know running them in even 2 wheel Electra Glides don't like the bottom end torque. And most have had to back out some timing to get rid of the pinging. Lighter bikes don't have much problem with 255's.
That being said,,,,,, Harley won't warranty with the good cams for the Trike.

Sorry,
I have to agree to disagree. I have 255 cams in my 2011 that were dealer installed and are covered under the warranty. My dealer also installed the Fuelmoto header and Jacpot mufflers, Jagg double 10 row fan assisted oil cooler and FCS fans although I'm fully capable of doing the work by myself. Why? Becuase I have a good dealer and I am only reponsible for an aftermarket part failure, they have taken care of everything else.

I also attended Doc's Weavers (Doc's Performance Tuning), TTS training school with my partner in crime. Under Doc's guidance we both learned how to V-Tune and my Trike was the test bed. I have plenty of low end grunt and have all the speed up to 4500 rpm I need two up and with a load of gear. The key is the tune and knowing that it is right, the downside is that the 255cams can be fuel sensitive as M3 has pointed out in several threads.

So far I have not experienced any detonation or fuel related issues. This cam will work just fine in a trike providing the accessories are matched and the tune is done right. For someone on a budget there are plenty of CVO takoffs available for half the price a new SE cam. Please do not misunderstand me here as I am looking into some alternative cams that are not as fuel sensitive for a later install when I've gathered enough data to make an informed decision. However, the 255's will work, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

A friend installed the 254 cams. He and the dealer said the 254 is better suited for the trike as they have more low end torque. Had it tuned with a TTS and says it runs a lot better.

Sorry,
I have to agree to disagree. I have 255 cams in my 2011 that were dealer installed and are covered under the warranty. My dealer also installed the Fuelmoto header and Jacpot mufflers, Jagg double 10 row fan assisted oil cooler and FCS fans although I'm fully capable of doing the work by myself. Why? Becuase I have a good dealer and I am only reponsible for an aftermarket part failure, they have taken care of everything else.

I also attended Doc's Weavers (Doc's Performance Tuning), TTS training school with my partner in crime. Under Doc's guidance we both learned how to V-Tune and my Trike was the test bed. I have plenty of low end grunt and have all the speed up to 4500 rpm I need two up and with a load of gear. The key is the tune and knowing that it is right, the downside is that the 255cams can be fuel sensitive as M3 has pointed out in several threads.

So far I have not experienced any detonation or fuel related issues. This cam will work just fine in a trike providing the accessories are matched and the tune is done right. For someone on a budget there are plenty of CVO takoffs available for half the price a new SE cam. Please do not misunderstand me here as I am looking into some alternative cams that are not as fuel sensitive for a later install when I've gathered enough data to make an informed decision. However, the 255's will work, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Right on if yours are working for ya! I know two trikes around here that are looking for some other cams. They bought in on the winter sale, & put 255's in. I don't know if they have talked the dealer into the 254E's, but last I talked to them Harley said no warranty with these cams..... Head in sand !

Last edited:

What would be the warranty issues with the 254e cams? I only have a couple months left on my warranty,but my dealer has told me no problem with either the 255's,or the 254's?

Right on if yours are working for ya! I know two trikes around here that are looking for some other cams. They bought in on the winter sale, & put 255's in. I don't know if they have talked the dealer into the 254E's, but last I talked to them Harley said no warranty with these cams..... Head in sand !

I'd go directly to the horses mouth, a lot of dealers have no clue what is and what is not covered under warranty when it comes to performance parts. Last I knew the 254e was perfectly acceptable to Harley Davidson.

What would be the warranty issues with the 254e cams? I only have a couple months left on my warranty,but my dealer has told me no problem with either the 255's,or the 254's?

If you can get it in writing from your dealer then I'd go for it. The 254E is one of the other cams I have considered. I know Wiz has installed that cam in his Trike and so far has been very pleased with the results. The 255's are green lighted in the catalog the 254E's are not. M3 has perhaps provided some better info than what I got at the time. BTW, I bought my 2011 in 2010 and am now on the HD ESP.

It really didn't matter if it was warrantied,i was just wondering the difference.Most of the things i've done to any of my h-d's has been covered,or at least they say they are.Been lucky enough not to test their word.Hope i didn't just jinx myself!

Back to op.I just got back from a trip out west & the temps were in the 100's or very near to.My oil temp never got over 245 per h-d gauge in the dash.I've removed the cat,installed se air filter with K&N cartridge.put on the sepro tuner,& with the help from people on here got the smart tune dialed in pretty good.The main thing i notice is keeping the oil cooler fins clean.If they go without a good cleaning,my temps increase by about 10 deg's.

Back to op.I just got back from a trip out west & the temps were in the 100's or very near to.My oil temp never got over 245 per h-d gauge in the dash.I've removed the cat,installed se air filter with K&N cartridge.put on the sepro tuner,& with the help from people on here got the smart tune dialed in pretty good.The main thing i notice is keeping the oil cooler fins clean.If they go without a good cleaning,my temps increase by about 10 deg's.

Put yourself on a mudflap on the front fender. Add about 1.5- 2" to the bottom & it will keep the crap off the cooler.
:Coffee:

I don't really follow the reasoning on the 254's either My SE 2013 catalog doesn't say race only on them.

I put true duals and kn filter and had it dynoed. It helped it a lot. Now can ride in shorts here in sunny fl

I don't know how you guys can ride in shorts. It's the same for wearing a t-shirt. Either one will make you hot. That's why I wear a mesh jacket - it keeps the sun off of your exposed skin which is the main cause for heat. I bet your skin temps are at least 15* cooler when you wear something that blocks the sun.
In really hot sunny weather i wear jeans, mest jacket, gloves and dewrag or baseball cap. And I'm very comfortable.

Take a tip from the Arabs and Mexicans :) :)

I don't know how you guys can ride in shorts. It's the same for wearing a t-shirt. Either one will make you hot. That's why I wear a mesh jacket - it keeps the sun off of your exposed skin which is the main cause for heat. I bet your skin temps are at least 15* cooler when you wear something that blocks the sun.

In really hot sunny weather i wear jeans, mest jacket, gloves and dewrag or baseball cap. And I'm very comfortable.

Take a tip from the Arabs and Mexicans :) :)

While I worked for the Union Pacific Railroad I worked with a lot of track labors. They stayed in the sun all day long sometimes at 100*+. Their work wasn't real vigorous, but it was steady for most of the day. They drank lots of water of course, but they also wore full cover insulated coveralls.

They said it just kept them at a constant temp all day.

Not too cold, not too hot.

Strange, but only the Indians did this. Everyone else just drounded in water, & fought for any shade they could find.ThumbUp

If you can get it in writing from your dealer then I'd go for it. The 254E is one of the other cams I have considered. I know Wiz has installed that cam in his Trike and so far has been very pleased with the results. The 255's are green lighted in the catalog the 254E's are not. M3 has perhaps provided some better info than what I got at the time. BTW, I bought my 2011 in 2010 and am now on the HD ESP.

I called and talked to the ESP people. The 254E is in their book as authorized.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png