Ride Report- Mississippi to Alaska & Back - Pic Heavy

Re: Ride Report- Mississippi to Alaska & Back - Pic Heavy

I'm sure you've noticed by now, Mary likes cloud pictures.

ToTok11_zps4771d851.jpg

Stopped at Buckshot Bettys, had some good food. Asked if there was any good fishing spots nearby. Was told there were a few good spots in a "creek down the road". We asked which direction? How far?

Back southeast, the way we came, about 125 miles! lol, now, that's country...down the road = 125 miles.

ToTok12_zps5e2de812.jpg

Going over a few things on the phone with Devin & Dawn at the shop.

ToTok13_zpsc90ad148.jpg

Coming up on the Customs station for coming into Canada for folks traveling the opposite direction of us.

I expected that soon after we would hit the US border with the US Customs station. But there is 20+ miles between the two. Sort of a bit strange.

ToTok14_zps10eda26d.jpg

Then some wet gravel road.

ToTok15_zps4f54994c.jpg

The some dusty road. Notice the line of "meals on wheels" coming up the road toward us.

ToTok16_zpsd1a503dc.jpg

The some more dusty road.

ToTok17_zps040d3dbc.jpg

After 20 or so miles of passing the Canadian "Border" we hit the US Alaska "Border". The entire stretch of road was gravel, except a few pavement stretches that would have been smoother if they were gravel. lol

ToTOk18_zpsdb4c1126.jpg

Coming up on the USA Customs station.

ToTok19_zps8a3764fa.jpg

Not sure why, waited 10+ minutes at this stop sign with no one in front of us.

Once we got to the window we showed our passports, answered a couple of questions, and were inside within a couple of minutes.

No searches, he did punch in our license plate #, but did not punch in our names or passport #'s.

ToTok20_zps26a1fcd2.jpg

More in next post.

Road was a bit better. The entire rest of the way was a nice curvy road. Tetlin Pass.

ToTok21_zpsfe74a8b6.jpg

We came up on the Tetlin National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center. Took a look around. Evangaline, whom we had met a few times over the last week rolled up right after us.

We ended up riding together for the next week.

ToTok22_zps32f95987.jpg

If I look a bit beat down, I was. The roads in the Yukon are rough! And the last 128 miles from Burwash were the worst.

Not sure the reason why...but Burwash is the last town in Canada along the Alcan before the US border. It may be that that stretch of the Alcan has the lowest priority.

ToTok23_zps3a791a3b.jpg

Evangaline is from Australia. She flew into Seattle, bought a GS800 BMW, set it up, and is on the road in Canada and the USA until next April.

ToTok24_zpsb841f82a.jpg

It rained most of the way thru the pass and Mary had the camera tucked away. It did not take away from the great ride!

Starting to come out of the rain.

ToTok25_zps0661d305.jpg

Looking back at Evangaline and the storm we rode thru.

ToTok26_zps70156846.jpg

A few more miles of nice road!

ToTOk27_zps687247bc.jpg

Coming into Tok. This is the first town on the Alcan in Alaska. It is quite small.

ToTok28_zps3dfafb1f.jpg

It rained and stormed off and on in Tok all evening.

Here we are at the Motel when we first arrived. Notice how "clean" the bike is after getting plenty of rain. That calcium cloride dust just turns to a cement type material and sticks to everything.

ToTok29_zps3f9c733c.jpg

Here Evangaline and myself stand still for Mary in Tok, getting ready to head toward Fairbanks.

ToFairbanks1_zps6c45b80d.jpg

Off to Fairbanks!

ToFairbanks14_zps2b4e056f.jpg

Beautiful day!

ToFairbanks2_zps8b8bc87a.jpg

Evangaline is riding a nice sound BMW, it has aftermarket 2-1 pipes with the core baffle removed. It gets up and moves!

ToFairbanks3_zps5bf13154.jpg

Went just a few miles before the all too familiar "loose gravel" sign.

ToFairbanks4_zps900a5ac6.jpg

But this is the good kind! Smoother than most of the pavement.

ToFairbanks5_zpsc981629c.jpg

Back on the pavement. Alaska so far is rather dull compared to BC and parts of the Yukon. Pretty straight and flat, relatively speaking. But for the 7.2 million paid to Russia, still a deal!

ToFairbanks6_zps3275bac0.jpg

First time we saw the Alaska pipeline running alongside the Alcan.

ToFairbanks7_zps8bca83bc.jpg

We got a bit of rain...not enough to stop for the rain suits...we are close and push on...it's not that cold, in the 70's.

I should qualify that...not that cold to me. Mary is wearing her chaps, Evangaline is wearing $500 pants that are waterproof and have armor, but breathe, so good in cold or hot weather. I'm wearing my kevlar jeans.

ToFairbanks8_zps24302879.jpg

More in next post.

Here's a bit of fun! Still raining a bit, but the TG holds the road well at speed, wet or dry.

ToFairbanks9_zps9d3cebb9.jpg

Never knew there was an actual town called the North Pole.

ToFairbanks10_zps6f8ca975.jpg

I forget why we stopped here, but when we did, even though it was raining, we were immediately surrounded by mosquito's. So a couple of pics with the North Pole sign and off we went.

ToFairbanks15_zps707d6185.jpg

In the pic above you can see that all I am running for an air cleaner is 4 layers of shirt material. :biker1:

When I had called our shop a couple of days ago, I asked them to send a new backplate to me at the Harley Dealership in Fairbanks. So that is our first stop. Farthest North Outpost.

There is a Harley Dealer, Victory Dealer and BMW all under the same roof.

ToFairbanks11_zps71900e7b.jpg

Evangaline on her dream BMW.

ToFairbanks12_zpsea5c6e52.jpg

Then she went and sat on a Sporty Super-low and fell in love with it. When she gets back to Australia, she says she will be getting one.

ToFairbanks13_zpseeb43ba9.jpg

Here is a pic of the road to take to the Harley Dealer in Fairbanks. Yep, it's gravel! lol

ToFairbanks16_zpse3dcf420.jpg

We did not get any pics, but after the Dealership we went and got checked in at a motel just down the road. They had a nice parking lot, so I went to the autoparts store and got some supplies.

Changed the oil in the parking lot at 11pm that night. No pics...the girls had taken a shower and did not want to get bit up by mosquito's or put any repellent on.

I knew it did not get dark up here iduring the summer, but to experience it is quite another thing. Still daylight at 2am.

Here's a picture of two ignorant dumb-asses at 10:30am in Fairbanks, getting ready to head out to the Arctic Circle up the Haul Rd.

ToAC1_zps1fd55545.jpg

The folks at the HD Dealership had told us it was 150 miles up, 300 round trip, and that the road was good the whole way...some gravel, but smooth. NOT!

This is a nice part of the road leading up to the Dalton Hwy. (aka the Haul Rd.)

ToAC2_zps67ec3d18.jpg

90 miles later we finally reach Dalton Hwy.

We got off the bike for a pic or three, we were immediately surrounded by mosquito's. Not a dozen or two, literally hundreds. It was so bad it was actually funny.

I normally do not use any kind of repellent, really dislike the feel on my skin. But there was no avoiding it, had to use it.

ToAC3_zps73701140.jpg

Couple of pics and we are back on the TG.

ToAC4_zps74ad4f82.jpg

Within a couple of miles we hit the dirt/gravel.

This is the nice kind, smooth, not dusty.

ToAC5_zps15a7db88.jpg

This is still nice and smooth, but eating some dust.

btw, you might have noticed we both ride with Nolan modular helmets, I ride with mine open quite a bit, and even when I close it down, I leave the face shield open, except in heavy dust or really heavy rain.

ToAC7_zps8ec0c7fb.jpg

Dusty and not quite so smooth, but no one in front.

ToAC8_zps374a6c23.jpg

Ahh, back to some nice smooth road. This was actually the best surface to ride on...what little asphalt there was, was not as smooth as the slightly wetted down smooth dirt.

ToAC9_zps408a5621.jpg

HEY! Something's not adding up here. We've gone 120 miles, and we know that the Arctic Circle is well past the Yukon River...plus there's been no sign of gas for quite a while. We have used almost 4 gallons and only have about 4 more gallons with us.

Not the first time a HD Dealer has given mis-information. lol

ToAC10_zpsfa9e825e.jpg

More in next post.

A little bit of paved road....it is only a trick...it will either turn into nasty pothole ridden or back to gravel. lol

ToAC11_zpsbc199ebd.jpg

At 150 miles we get to the Yukon river, there is gas here, AND mosquito's...so many we did not even take the time for a pic.

Oh, and found out the Arctic Circle is another 60 miles!

ToAC12_zps3e257f0e.jpg

Good pic of the Alaska pipeline right next to the bridge.

ToAC13_zps57859fcd.jpg

Nice good dirt road...actually came to really like this stuff...it is smoother than most of the paved roads in Alaska and the Yukon.

None of the pictures really capture how long or steep these hills are. More than 10%...there were no signs, but my guess is 12-14%.

Speed limit on the Dalton is 55 mph, but on this stuff we were traveling 65-75 mph.

ToAC14_zpsf560ff73.jpg

So were these guys!

ToAC15_zpsbb6d443a.jpg

Stopped at Finger Mountain. Talked to this couple that was coming back from Deadhorse. They said beyond Coldfoot the gravel was 6" deep for miles at a time. Good thing we are not going that far.

They at both washed out a couple of times in the stuff at about 45 mph, but all their BMW gear prevented any injury or even bruises....bikes had a bit of duct tape thought. lol

ToAC16_zpsebafd93b.jpg

At this point we already know, that if we knew, we would never have left, but we are only 20 or so miles away.

ToAC17_zpscd3cbde3.jpg

Not such a good pic, but this is the road immediately leaving Finger Mountain. Loose gravel on a NOT smooth surface, and, yes, that is the road as far as you can see.

ToAC18_zpsf8ce25b3.jpg

Well, ya'll might be bored with me writing about the road surface, and to be fair, on two wheels it probably is not as bad. On the TG we have three tracks, vs two wheels only have one track, even trucks and cars only have two tracks. It's a bit more difficult with three tracks to find a smooth line.

More pics in the next post.

We're HERE!

ToAC19_zps4f16adf6.jpg

Yep, this is what we rode 210 mile for...a pic in front of a sign. lol

ToAC20_zps43f95e56.jpg

Oh, wait! We have to ride back. 420 miles, so here's another pic.

ToAC21_zpsd01f5015.jpg

We are seriously tired, we left at 10:30am and it is almost 6:00pm. I consider going on to Coldfoot for the night. But it is another 70 miles of even worse road, then we just have to do it again tomorrow.

So off we go!

ToAC22_zpsc1017214.jpg

Pipeline along the road.

ToAC23_zps421719ec.jpg

I know the road a bit now, we are making good time. Even on this wet squishy stuff, the TG is surprisingly stable.

ToAC24_zpsba031b22.jpg

ToAC25_zpsef938e0b.jpg

More pics in next post.

This stuff had us going about 10 mph, fortunately there were only a few spots like this, maybe 5 miles total.

ToAC30_zpsb0a35cf0.jpg

We did not get a pic of this fancy sign on the way up, so here it is on the way back.

ToAC31_zps162d9b1f.jpg

We are off the Dalton.

ToAC32_zps1420908b.jpg

ToAC33_zps2268d946.jpg

Took a break for some sandwiches (and mosquito's). This pic was taken around 11 pm at night.

ToAC34_zps41d6c3be.jpg

And here we are, back at the motel at 11:30 pm.

ToAC35_zpsd0656551.jpg

Gone 13 hours, 12 hours riding, 420 miles, and we did not need the gas can. We made it, but gotta say the road beat us. Neither of us have the slightest desire to do it ever again. :lol:

I sure wish I could still sit a saddle like you folks can , well I will just dream along with you !

This has been a fantastic awesome voyage so far and from the majority of us that can't or have not made the trip you are showing us how fantastic everything can be, given what can be shown thru a camera. Thank you for taking the time to do this, it's great. Enjoy your travels Ride safe.

That's cool you all are enjoying it. Mary takes 200-300 pics a day, I try and include a good cross section to give a feel for the days ride.

After getting back from the Arctic Circle we did not do anything the next morning.

Evangaline took this picture in Fairbanks...since it does not get dark during the summer in Fairbanks, the Northern Lights are not visible.

Not sure what this is-

Faribanks_zpse54453cf.jpg

That afternoon we headed out to Chena Hot Springs, where the Ice Museum is.

Nice easy ride on some nice roads! :) About 100 miles round trip, ALL on pavement!!!

ToChena1_zpsbac75f58.jpg

ToChena2_zps2d6d02b1.jpg

ToChena3_zps6b2ec6be.jpg

Momma moose eating with her two young-ins back on the shore.

ToChena4_zps01617908.jpg

A close up so you can see them better.

ToChena5_zps88331127.jpg

Evangaline taking a pic of Mary taking a pic.

ToChena6_zps36701daa.jpg

Another Triker. Lots of bikes up here, mostly BMW's. We do see some Harley's, Honda's & KLR's. Every now and then a Can-Am.

ToChena7_zps18197b19.jpg

At Chena Hot Springs Resort, walking around the grounds before the Tour of the Ice Museum.

ToChena8_zps14f71a87.jpg

More in next post.

Some folks enjoying the hot springs.

ToChena9_zps55b90dc2.jpg

This duck came up and started quacking and nipping at Evangalines' knees. It was pretty funny, would not stop.

ToChena10_zps51e38f23.jpg

Mary and I.

ToChena11_zps69bc8be5.jpg

The Ice Museum. It is a metal building. Inside it is kept at 28 degrees with power for the refrigeration coming from the hot springs.

ToChena20_zps8555f07d.jpg

When you first go in there is a ante-room where there are down coats for everyone to wear. After that you step into the main room. The first section is the work area where the ice sculptors do their work.

ToCHena25_zps33cf06ac.jpg

All the pieces are sculpted right there, with ice from the river that was cut out during the winter.

Some of the sculptures have been in here for over 3 years.

ToChena12_zps81d8ceea.jpg

Me listening to the tour guide, standing next to a sculpted circular staircase.

ToChena13_zps5e994b9b.jpg

The knights and horses are life size.

ToChena14_zps9f05fd15.jpg

Everything is made of ice!

ToChena15_zpsb4dbb15e.jpg

Toward the back of the museum are 4 bedrooms. These are available for $600 a night! All made of ice!

They put reindeer fur on top of the ice bed and it is supposed to be warm.

ToChena16_zps27aa1632.jpg

More in next post.

They use LED lights that don't put off much heat for the lighting.

They have a bar. Bar stools are made of ice, topped with reindeer hide. Sat down on one, sure enough, my tukus was warm sitting there.

ToChena17_zpscbb4fb6b.jpg

Tour guide doubling as the bartender.

ToChena26_zps07452701.jpg

Yep, the glasses are made of ice, one time use only. Take em outside and break em while making a wish.

ToChena27_zps7a9a23b9.jpg

ToChena28_zpse4733f5c.jpg

They have quite a large greenhouse operation here also.

ToChena19_zpsc94c2f44.jpg

Headed back to the bikes.

ToChena29_zps5e75a612.jpg

Dang BMW is blocking the view of the moose. lol

ToChena23_zpsa292b88d.jpg

Mary gets some great cloud pics.

ToChena22_zps6b6a365e.jpg

Upper left...the every present mosquito's.

ToChena24_zps340353b3.jpg

Had a bit of rain on the way back.

ToChena21_zpsd79d5053.jpg

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png