TG 32 tooth sprocket.

Jun 7, 2012
Millsboro, De
Hello, I see where some have replaced the 32 tooth sprocket with a 30 tooth sprocket. My question is was the 32 tooth sprocket used on only the 09 and 10 model years and replaced with a 30 tooth on later year models. Thank you.

Rick

What Bruce said, 09 - 10 32 tooth and 11 and later 30 tooth. Harley took quite a beating about the poor performance with the 32 tooth.

OMG, what a different the 30-tooth sprocket makes! Wish I had put it on the '09. Big different is running 6th gear at 60 mph! If anyone is thinking of changing on their 09 and -10, do it.

OK, I'll be the odd ball. We have an 09 and 11 trikes. I drive the 09. When we pull a hill, or have a long up-hill I downshift. I've been told that to have the gear changed the whole cost is around $600. I rarely get into 6th gear until above 70mph. Remember, change the gear ratio and your speedo is no longer accurate. Now add a tuner to correct your speedo, another couple of hundred bucks. If you are a good wrencher and can do the work for yourself, maybe. If you have to have it done, NO, I don't think it is worth it....

I'll throw in my 2¢. If you have a basically stock set-up then the 30T sprocket will make the trike less sluggish. It's quicker off the line and pulls better in each gear. In bone stock form I couldn't do a long incline without downshifting. If you've done work to the engine then the 32T sprocket has advantages in high speed runs. and maybe mpg.

Mine's only mildly tuned and I like the 30T for 90% of the riding I do. The speedometer gets screwed up but simple math tells me that 32 mph indicated is now 30 mph and 64 indicated is only 60. 96 indicated (if I ever got that high) would be 90. I mostly just flow with traffic anyway.

Does anyone know what drives the speedo? It used to be a hall-effect sensor aimed at 4th gear in the transmission box ('95 Road King).

Why wouldn't updating that part correct the error?

OK, I'll be the odd ball. We have an 09 and 11 trikes. I drive the 09. When we pull a hill, or have a long up-hill I downshift. I've been told that to have the gear changed the whole cost is around $600. I rarely get into 6th gear until above 70mph. Remember, change the gear ratio and your speedo is no longer accurate. Now add a tuner to correct your speedo, another couple of hundred bucks. If you are a good wrencher and can do the work for yourself, maybe. If you have to have it done, NO, I don't think it is worth it....
I am kinda the same way on this topic..I am fine with the 32 sprocket. Some swear by it some others dont..I will stick to stock in this case..

Last edited:
Changing over to the 30 tooth sprocket was well worth it to me. Now the 6th gear is usable.

Ain't that the truth! Allot better low end power too. In my case I noticed an increase in MPG. Spend allot less time WOT to pull a hill so I end up using less fuel as a result.

32 to 34 teeth

I have a '14 TG "de-catted" with a Crusher header and wider band O2s. I also put a tuner on it and the result was a HUGE reduction in heat (rider comfort) and it has plenty of snort. The part that I don't like is that the engine spins at 3K at 67MPH (speedo) and it appears to me to be working too hard. I was considering going to a 34T gear. Does anyone have any experience with that gear with the 103?
I called my local HD dealer and their service guy told me that my year TG comes standard with the 32T and the only option is go to a 34 to reduce RPMs at hwy speeds. I'd also like to get better MPG as my '09 Ultra gets 42+ consistently. I think my TG should get better than 32-34 with two up and pulling a trailer.

Thoughts?

should have a 30 on 14

You might want to count for yourself unless changed by someone they come with a 30 tooth on 14teens you may want to go to a 32. just sayin :Shrug: Some times service people get confused I marked mine and counted leaving no chance for error. I was quoted close to $500 for change and I have the 30 tooth to put on, I have on now a 32 original :Santa: ride safely fearless

I have a '14 TG "de-catted" with a Crusher header and wider band O2s. I also put a tuner on it and the result was a HUGE reduction in heat (rider comfort) and it has plenty of snort. The part that I don't like is that the engine spins at 3K at 67MPH (speedo) and it appears to me to be working too hard. I was considering going to a 34T gear. Does anyone have any experience with that gear with the 103?
I called my local HD dealer and their service guy told me that my year TG comes standard with the 32T and the only option is go to a 34 to reduce RPMs at hwy speeds. I'd also like to get better MPG as my '09 Ultra gets 42+ consistently. I think my TG should get better than 32-34 with two up and pulling a trailer.

Thoughts?

Responding to a post from 2013???? Duh
Ya know Barbara, A person gets blasted if they don't use the search of past information (Threads). Then gets criticized for using a past thread as a reference for a question..........
I don't see anyone trying to respond to any of the past posters, just asking questions about things that have been posted along with a new question dealing with these sprockets.
Not trying to be a smart a$$, just my humble opinion..........
Why do you seem to be very sensitive about the past threads being used ?
Hope you people on your end of the state gets over all that cold weather & snow. We have the same thing only deeper on the East side ! LOL !

Anyway ,,,,
Merry Christmas
Sloufoot

I have a new in box 30T front sprocket that I will sell,if anyone needs one.
Just drop me a pm.

thanks

You might want to count for yourself unless changed by someone they come with a 30 tooth on 14teens you may want to go to a 32. just sayin :Shrug: Some times service people get confused I marked mine and counted leaving no chance for error. I was quoted close to $500 for change and I have the 30 tooth to put on, I have on now a 32 original :Santa: ride safely fearless

Thanks Fearless - I will do that. The former owner could have changed it, but since he was dead when I bought the trike no one knew.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvflorian

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvflorian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png