Engine heat - 2011 RG Motortrike

A stock HD Touring Bike runs extremely lean due to EPA requirements. Decatting will help a little but installing a SE Stage 1 kit along with reprogramming your electronic ignition to richen up the mixture will also go a long way in cooling down the bike.

A stock HD Touring Bike runs extremely lean due to EPA requirements. Decatting will help a little but installing a SE Stage 1 kit along with reprogramming your electronic ignition to richen up the mixture will also go a long way in cooling down the bike.

The Stage 1 Download from Harley does nothing much for the fuel mix because they need to follow the EPA requirements. Mostly what they do is remap the timing. Stage 2 isn't warranty friendly.
If you get the SE add on tuner then you can get around some of the lean problems. It is much better to use either a TTS or Power Vision tuner to re-flash the ECM of you are going to ever get things right without piggy back devices.
Also unless you purchase the software for the SE tuner you have to pay Harley for each adjustment you need. Unless they do a Dyno tune to set up the tuner you will get a generic tune installed that isn't set for your particular set-up. Their are other methods than a Dyno tune, but are very labor intensive, & expensive. Most can be done by yourself with the other tuners. All with FREE software....... & your laptop.
:Trike1:

going to spend the cash for new exhaust header and mufflers with tuner sure hope this takes care of my heat problem can anyone tell me what new cams, verses stock cams would benefit I'm not into speed 65 to 70 is fast enough for me just wondering

Call Fuel Moto and talk with either Jamie or Brian and they will advise you a cam/exhaust combination that will work. They also sell the Dynojet Power Vision that is an awesome turner (in my opinion!!) that is very user friendly to do the Auto Tune Basic sessions.

They have a Woods cam (tw222) that works well with the stock 103 motor with OEM heads and Valve assembly. Ask about it and they will explain it very well.

Roger

going to spend the cash for new exhaust header and mufflers with tuner sure hope this takes care of my heat problem can anyone tell me what new cams, verses stock cams would benefit I'm not into speed 65 to 70 is fast enough for me just wondering

You have to keep in mind you will only cool it down to a point. The trike is a rolling brick, those rear fenders create quite an air dam which hold the heat. Sometimes just a simple exhaust change and a tune will make enough difference. Cam choice gets a bit tougher because the selection is so large. One of the things which can help with a more performance oriented cam is overlap, the overlap is when the exhaust valve has not closed all the way and the intake valve is opening. The ecaping exhaust gases help pull the fresh air fuel mix into the combustion chamber, a side benefit is it also helps pull some of the heat out of the combustion chamber at the same time.

Harley engines are oil cooled and air cooled. synthetic oil and the biggest cooler available will make a lot of difference also an air scoop is available to help get more air to the rear cylinder. parade bikes have always used these simple tricks as they idle around a lot. synthetic oils in the drive system ie trans, will also aid in heat reduction

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png