Need encouragement

Jul 15, 2013
Largo, FL
Thinking about converting my Ultra Classic Limited to a trike. Rode a Harley trike at Sturgis 3 years ago and didn't like it. The new conversions appear to be better. Would you guys convert again and what conversion would you suggest.
Thanks for your advice.

Thinking about converting my Ultra Classic Limited to a trike. Rode a Harley trike at Sturgis 3 years ago and didn't like it. The new conversions appear to be better. Would you guys convert again and what conversion would you suggest.
Thanks for your advice.

What was it you didn't like about the Harley trike?
:Trike1:

If you convert your Ultra you're going to have basically the same motorcycle up front. The rear end is going to change. You can put on IRS or straight axle & different body styles. But if you didn't like anything about it, maybe you need to look at a Stallion or a Goldwing conversion & stay away from Harley.....
What is your reason or purpose for a trike ?
Just Say'in

We didn't like anything about it wasn't much fun to ride. Were test riding a Champion conversion tomorrow.

Test ride as many of the conversions as you can before making your choice. Keep in mind if your looking at straight axle conversions they will ride almost like the Triglide.

Just remember -- if that was your first ride on a trike, you may have been influenced by how different it feels to steer. You will need 200 - 500 miles of riding time before you feel the steering is totally natural. So take that into consideration as you do your test rides.

Thanks for your input. Reason is i'm 70 and thinking this will extend my safe riding years.
I like my Harley it has a stage lv kit and everything else but if it doesn't make as good a trike I will sell it and get whatever. With the money i'm about to spend I want this to be a good decision.

loopy

:Coffee::Coffee:,,Don't mean to get in a pi$$ing match about who's got the biggest one here and never owned one but other than the handle bars being low the 1800 Goldwing may impress you . I rode one a few months ago nothing hard riding about that motorcycle and nothing weak .ThumbUpThumbUp,,,, but ,,,TO EACH HIS OWN ,,good luck with your decision

I think your Harley will make a great trike! You will probably need to put a rake kit on it but that can be done after you get it converted.

I think as has been stated....getting used to the difference in 2 vs 3 wheels is the biggest hurdle. They are 2 totally different machines and ride/handle totally different. The most accurate way I heard it before we triked my wife's Softail is that a trike handles much more like an ATV (4-wheeler) than a motorcycle. I don't think that will change regardless of what trike your on.

The IRS will be a little smoother on rough roads & the solid axle corners a little better. A longer wheel base will be a little smoother (but wider turn radius) and a wider wheel base will feel a little more stable.

At the end of the day, they are all flat on the curves & require a little more work to steer vs a 2-wheeler. I rode several different types before we decided to convert the Heritage. There were some differences as noted but really when it came down to the way we ride, (smooth roads & sweepers & no Interstates) they were all so close in the ride/handle department it was price that was the final thing that tilted the scales.

In all honesty, the Honda GW1800 with whatever conversion may be the most practical trike out there......BUT, when you hit the start switch and have to look at the tach to see if it cranked ;) just would not work for me. There is just nothing like a Harley roaring to life and being brought back down to idle! It's just in my blood and I guess it always will be!

Good luck in your research!

loopy, Was it a H-D TriGlide or a conversion you test rode in Sturgis?

If you didn't like "anything" then you're not meant for a trike of any kind.

I just spent last weekend with my dealer helping out with H-D's demo fleet. Except for 2 riders, every one of the testers hated the trike. A few gave up before even getting out of the parking lot. Everyone of them couldn't remember to keep their feet up - even after all of us yelling to get your feet up - they all practally ran into something - for some reason I can't figure out, they couldn't steer the bike. They even had to watch a 10 minute video before being allowed to take thr trie out. One guy said "forget it, I'm not waisting my time watching some video". I think some just were anti trike people and just wanted to complain about them.

As Nana said it takes a few miles to be completely comfortable on a trike - IT IS A BIG DIFFERENCE.

I get a kick out of the ones that say the TG is no good and there is something wrong with it......it's really them. :)

Loopy
I just bought one. I must have been lucky, all I did was read a few threads on here about handling and steering input differences, model opinions goods and bads, and got on at the dealer took 3 spins around the lot and followed the saleman for a test ride. My legs and hips have been giving me problems for 4 or 5 years, Riding had become a chore. The trike was one of the best things I've done with a cycle in years. I'm more comfortable, I don't worry about whether my knee will fold at the next intersection and I've put about 500 miles on since I picked it up Friday. I still work 10 to 12 hrs a day too.This site helped me with a fast learning curve and I real happy that I made the leap to the Trike.
Hope you have as good a luck as I have
Gary

Let me also add that my wife has really enjoyed not having to worry about red lights and stop signs since we triked her bike. Her bursitis in her hips was making it difficult at intersections and she got to where she didn't want to ride because of it. Now she don't give it a second thought.

Also, we live down about 1/2 mile of dirt road and in the summer it can be real tricky on 2 wheels!! You really have to avoid the deep sand,especially in turns but it don't bother her at all now on the trike.

So all in all, even though you give up some in the cornering & steering, there are some great advantages & peace of mind when on 3 wheels!

Wasn't sure either, but converted StreetGlide with a Champion kit last August and LOVE it. Just returned from a trip to Washington DC and the ride was great. Fantastic cornering, fun, fun to ride! Have a mustang seat and very comfortable.

My first trike was an 08 Ultra with a Lehman kit. I put 42,000 miles on that trike when my legs would no longer back it up. I bought an 11 Triglide because it had reverse. Right away I noticed how much easier it was to steer and love having a reverse. I have 40,000 miles on my Triglide now and am still loving everything about it. I belong to a Motorcycle club and their are now five Triglides and two Honda's. It's funny now that on the longer rides, we have more trikes than we have two wheeler's who show-up for the ride. I have Muscular Dystrophy and by having a trike, my knees are still in the breeze. I also love the fact that I can out-corner most of my two-wheeled friends and I don't worry about stop signs, gravel, or snow anymore.pepper

ThumbUp I converted my old tour glide and i would like to tell you that it's ride is might rough in town.

:10: Take it out on the highway and its whole different world. Seriously, Ride that trike out on the highway before you decide what you like and don't like?

Don't worry about how it will perform, Harley has plenty of low end torque

The champion straight axle is one of the most straightforward kits to install yourself, And i think it's the best looking kit (yes i'm prejudiced)

I also bought a raked front triple tree from zook and installed that myself.

The Champion straight axle kit feels and acts just fine when i'm on the open road.

The only time i find myself thinking about an independent suspension is on city roads, but i built my trike for the road and not to bar hop!

The front end rake makes all the difference in handling. As well as tire pressures, front and rear.

Ride one that is properly set up and it makes all the difference between a love story and a tragedy.

I have ridden some very nice LOOKING Harleys that impress me wholeheartedly (like mine) as well as some that beat the snot out of me and i couldn't ride it for more than 50 miles.

I have also ridden a very nice LOOKING gold wing that just didn't do it for me!

Of course that is the only one i rode and so i will reserve my judgment.

:Shrug: If my little girl can ride it, how tough can it be?

Also there is no way i would let her on something i felt was a possible danger to her?

2-Chelseas first time as a pilot on the bike she grew up on.jpg

View attachment 8488

If you didn't test with a rake kit, don't count that test - seriously. I test-drove my Dyna after the rear was converted, but before we changed the tree, and in about 30 feet I was really freaking out thinking "what did I do?! This SUCKS!" Once the tree was changed out, it was completely different AGAIN and I LOVE it. YES it is different from 2 wheels, but different is good!

I think your Ultra would make a great trike...... That being said, you will be taking a hit in the performance dept.

With your Stage 4 engine you will be hauling around about 400# more weight. You will most likely need to change the front sprocket to a 30 tooth, & find a cam that wants to be a low end torque engine.

You will find out none of the trikes are built for a 1/4 mile machine. But more for pleasure riding, freeway & two lane & around town. All of which they do great.

While some will pick the front wheel off the ground, you aren't going to see 5sec. quarter mile times.............

You will find more heat around the tike than the same bike. Because of more body to keep it around you.

As others have said, you will need to ride as many different conversions you can find before making a decision. By the way the Hannigan kit is a wider kit.

It has to be installed by a dealer also if my memory serves me.

The solid axle trikes have a lot less parts to take care of compared to the IRS kits.

Don't give up ! You will find the right combination for you & yours. But remember to get the "OK" from the boss !!

I think your present bike will make a wonderful trike. To answer the original question: Yes, I would do a conversion all over again, rather than the TriGlide. I like the IRS, extended wheelbase and width of the conversion, and more importantly, I was already familiar with my bike and its history.

Good luck, and enjoy your research!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png