VW front brakes Im at a loss

Nov 26, 2011
Albuquerque NM
My problem. I have a vw front axle on my gl1800 goldwing. i can not find anyway to make the front drums brake. i had disc brakes but couldnt fit my 13 inch wheels over the calipers,so i went back to drums.my mastercyl is 14 mm and not big enough to operate them. i have tried a car m/c with a slave cylinder,but cant get enough power to push it far enough.
I know a 17mm mastercyl will somewhat work but cant find one that will fit the 1800.
Any help will be appreciated
I love the way it rides and handles but i need to stop it Dennis

I don’t think you will ever get enough leverage out of a hand brake to work 2 drum brake setups. Just think about how much foot pressure it takes and where the pivot point of a foot brake is. You might have to switch to a foot operated MC to get the leverage/pressure needed to work that brake setup. If you go with the disk set up and switch to 15 inch low profile tires, you might get a little better brake, but still don’t think you will get enough leverage/pressure for it to work 100 percent.

If you put a foot pedal on all three wheels you can put an adjustable proportioning valve in like a car. Depending on the year of krauter you have it may have single or dual pot master cylinder, you'd have to figure out the volume of fluid you need to push and then machine a master cylinder yourself or hire it out. enlargening the bore can give more area for fluid with same or shorter stroke. easiest way is to use inner parts from a car type single pot and machine new cylinder and pot fron aluminum.

Second VW Trike I built in the 70s, I used the VW Master Cylinder by using a fabricated Bracket welded to the Handlebars, and a 750 Honda Brake Lever. I had to experiment with Pivot Location on a Homemade Plunger to work it until it was easy to squeeze.....wish I still had 1974 Pics, but don't....it can be done though.....ThumbUp

The only thing I could say is if I was to try to do this, I'd look at how the Spyder has there front brakes hooked up and try to do something like that, surely there has to be a way, just finding it, lolllll always a challenge n doing something new.
Just my 2 cents.

its been a learning experience for sure. i have gone back to the disc's ordered mag wheels for the 13 inch tires. im going to order that 17.5 master cyl. the 14 mm narly works the disc i do have brakes with it ,but not like i want.
i thank all of you for the help and comment it gave me new ideas

It only takes 2 lbs of pressure to move a disc brake and 10 lbs to move drum. You might go with the longest handle you can to get most leverage out of the setup. You also might use a residual valve so your first 2lbs of pressure is already there.

VW Brakes

Don't know if this was suggested yet,however when our bike was converted to trike the CSC kit seperates the front brakes from the rear.The front master cylinder was bored out by CSC to a larger piston to handle the now 2 front disc brakes.Before just 1 front disc operated off the front master cyclinder.
I don't know how large the cylinder was bored out,but the front disc works great.I have tried just the front breake,testing stopping,comming up to a stop light and they will stop the trike with no problem.

It only takes 2 lbs of pressure to move a disc brake and 10 lbs to move drum. You might go with the longest handle you can to get most leverage out of the setup. You also might use a residual valve so your first 2lbs of pressure is already there.

VW Brakes

I really think that would help

Im using drum brakes on rear with hand brakes ( wheel cylinder dia 3/4) Thought about the residual valve also . I think it would hold some of the wheel cylinders fluid volume so one would have more brake feel at brake master with less travel?? On my setup as soon as im moving my brake feel is spongy, sitting still hard as rock.lol

Butchvoss,
If your front still seems spongy,it still has air in there.You have to get the bleeder(s) at the highest level point to get all the air out.If they are on an angle,it will retain air.
You may have to remove mounting bolts and rotate the caliper to get the bleeder at the top,then bleed.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png