torque from compensator sprocket

Jul 16, 2013
lake wales, fl. usa
OK, you motorheads I just visited my local Harley shop and was told by them I would probably be just as well off changing the compensator sprocket instead of going to a 30 tooth tranny sprocket and the labor costs would be so much less. will I gain about the same low end torque by going that route or am I not going to see any difference. I have been doing a lot of research on this subject for my converted 2007 flhtc with a Champion kit and now a new issue came up with changing a different sprocket. has anyone out there tried this approach yet and if you have how did it work?

Yes, absolutely! It's a lot less work to change the compensator sprocket and the sprocket itself is cheaper. You have to remove the outer primary cover, the clutch and primary drive including the compensator, to get to the pulley. You only have to remove the outer primary cover to get to the compensator. You might even get lucky like I did and not have to pull the clutch, although you shouldn't count on that. Plus you don't have to change or even readjust the belt. The primary adjuster should take up the extra slack in the primary chain. It did on mine.

Going from a 32 tooth pulley to a 30 tooth is a 6.7% increase in rpm. If you were cruising at say 2500 rpm, now you'll cruise at 2667. In my case, I went from a 25 tooth compensator to 23 teeth.

That change is 8.6%. I went from 2500 to 2717. Pretty dang close, closer than you can probably read on your tach. Made a world of difference on my 80-incher. I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised. And if you ever do need a new belt, the stock one will fit.

This is absolutely the easier and cheaper way to do this job. Pocket the difference and take a trip. :)

Yes, absolutely! It's a lot less work to change the compensator sprocket and the sprocket itself is cheaper. You have to remove the outer primary cover, the clutch and primary drive including the compensator, to get to the pulley. You only have to remove the outer primary cover to get to the compensator. You might even get lucky like I did and not have to pull the clutch, although you shouldn't count on that. Plus you don't have to change or even readjust the belt. The primary adjuster should take up the extra slack in the primary chain. It did on mine.

Going from a 32 tooth pulley to a 30 tooth is a 6.7% increase in rpm. If you were cruising at say 2500 rpm, now you'll cruise at 2667. In my case, I went from a 25 tooth compensator to 23 teeth.

That change is 8.6%. I went from 2500 to 2717. Pretty dang close, closer than you can probably read on your tach. Made a world of difference on my 80-incher. I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised. And if you ever do need a new belt, the stock one will fit.

This is absolutely the easier and cheaper way to do this job. Pocket the difference and take a trip. :)

For my own trike, I'm on the fence about the need for a change, but if I decide to do it, changing the compensating sprocket is a simpler method. For me simple=better. :xzqxz:

Unless someone has come up with a different compensating sprocket the only option is from a company named Evolution Industries, they offer either a 30 or 32 tooth sprocket. The only problem is it replaces the compensator but by doing so it does away with the shock absorbing qualities the compensator brings to the table. Bolting just a sprocket to the crank shaft is a recipe for a twisted crankshaft splines or the left crank half it self.

For those who own the 06 and earlier twin cam touring there are a lot of primary gearing options. Folks with the 07 and later are left out for some odd reason.

TO MSOCKO3, So what you are telling me is I am back to the drawing board. well I guess that I will have to try the tranny sprocket change to a 30 tooth and see if I am happy , which I think I will be according to all the reviews I have read. my mechanic objects to my advice but says he will do it if I say so. he wants to crack my motor and do cams and stuff and says that will work better for me for lower end torque. I tried to explain to him that having a more powerful motor doesn't mean anything if the trike is not geared right but he is hard headed

TO MSOCKO3, So what you are telling me is I am back to the drawing board. well I guess that I will have to try the tranny sprocket change to a 30 tooth and see if I am happy , which I think I will be according to all the reviews I have read. my mechanic objects to my advice but says he will do it if I say so. he wants to crack my motor and do cams and stuff and says that will work better for me for lower end torque. I tried to explain to him that having a more powerful motor doesn't mean anything if the trike is not geared right but he is hard headed

I think you answered your own question?

I all fairness to me, I did not read all your posts on this subject.

But, after all that I have bought, played with, changed, and tried, for you my opin would be to..... Change the sproket to 30 tooth (if it needs a different belt,or not) and change the cam to a 555. Then get a GOOD tune and enjoy.

Later, eighty80.

Yep your back at the drawing board, sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Your correct about the gearing, the engine will be much happier with the correct gearing. Once you've ridden it with better gearing you can then decide if you want more and then think cams.

Evolution Industries also offers a 49 tooth clutch hub and longer chain to change the primary ratio. The stock ratio uses a 46 tooth clutch hub. Cost wise its about the same as doing all work involved changing the sprocket and belt with labor

Last edited:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wildthang

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wildthang
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png