Has anybody used American or Triwing Kits

Jul 21, 2013
Rosamond Ca.
I am going to be doing a self install trike conversion on my 2000 Yamaha Royal Star Venture. I have been talking to Triwing but just found out they use a solid axle and drum brakes no info or pictures on the kit frame. For American trike IRS suspension, coilover shocks, sway bar, one big disc brake and a nice looking kit frame. Both have good looking bodies. I think American trike is going to have the better ride. For now thinking about going with American. Looking forward to doing the install and going to paint it to ( color change ). When I start doing the build I will post pictures. Any info on these kits would be very helpful. Thanks Glenn

I have the American trike kit on my '08 GW since new. It is a good kit for the most part, except they put a "mickey Mouse" shaft to drive the right wheel on the Honda kit. It failed and I had to get one made out of a solid shaft by a machine shop for close to $500 (I was not going to put another two piece shaft back in the trike). I did the tear down and rebuild so I saved about $1500 on that. If your bike is not shaft drive, you will probably be ok. Other than that, I like the kit (for the money). As a final thought, I should have gone with the Roadsmith by The Trike Shop even though it was a few thousand dollars more at the time (I looked at just about all of the IRS kits at the time). By the way, I am a retired design and manufacturing engineer so I do know what I am talking about, Glenn. Good luck...

The Yamaha RSV is shaft drive. I did talk to Hannigen they only install won't just sell the kit. A friend just finished installing a Roadsmith on his Goldwing very nice kit but they make kit for my bike. So far I have only found 3 kits for the RSV 2 that I can install. Thanks for the info on AT kit if you have pictures on our build can you PM or e-mail them to me. Thanks Glenn

Strange, I was just looking at them for consideration for my vintage 1984 Venture Royale. Found they have a local dealer here...

If you are going to install it your self talk to Sam at American Trike. I have call him 4 times now an he has been very helpful. Going to order my kit soon as I sell my Polaris turbo RZR.

So did you go with the American Trike kit or what did you do.

Those of us who like the RSV/RSTD would love to stay with the major builders but except for Hannigan which wont let you do a self install there aren't any.

Hello
I have a 08 triwing. It has a solid axle and is very harsh compared to
a independent suspension. You will have a better ride with independent
suspension. I also had a motor trike that I put 130k on, this also had
a solid axle and the ride was better than the Triwing. Hope this helps
Dragon

I was going to use ATI to trike a Valkyrie I had but ran into too much trouble finding a builder here in my part of Florida.
Sam?? was of no value when I called them about a builder.
But a friend of mine had his Road Star kit done by them with reverse and aside from a few minor problems at 1st with the reverse.
3 motors.
He loves it.

Last edited:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png