"81" Kaw. 1000 and simple conv.

Jul 24, 2013
Central Oregon
i'm new to the site, and as I looked through the adv. search, I still can't come up with my options in conv. a 81 kaw. 1000, in a simple process !?
you mite ask, why i'm working with something so old, well it only has 3200 miles on it and it runs out perfect. +, it was given to me !
my Dr. took away my M/C endr. in 02, cuz of my M/S, and just informed me she would go for a Trike, sooooooo, I would like to convert this bike to a Trike.......I do have close friend, who owns the wrecking yd. here, and he said I could have anything I needed (he's been running sprint cars for 30 yrs.) I also have a close friend who owns a machine shop in town !
i'm not new to metal-work, as I owned a body-shop here in town for yrs., and I do have all necessary tools for the work.........just need to add info. for the simple, and lest cost as possible !

thanks, in advance !

steven

If you want to do a conversion under 5 grand, do a voyager or TowPac etc. As far as converting it yourself, via a wrecking yard full of parts....that could be opening a real can of worms!
Based on the fact that the bike has low miles and in good shape, I wouldn't hesitate to do a real manufactured trike kit on it....
it's your call

thanks, but money is a main object here ......i'm limited on funds, and if I wasn't, i'd buy a friends "Goldwing" trike at 7K , but I have plenty of time, and tools......just lacking knowledge, or the configuration of a good set-up !
when you think about it....you only have to get power to rear wheels in about 2 ft. area......should come up with something LOL ! in the mean-time, i'll scratch my head a little more..........

steven

If it is Shaft it is not to hard to get the rearend of a small car. If chain weeeeeell that might be a bit of a challenge. Been done fur sur. take a look at some of the posts of other makes on here. Some have pictures that may help you. Even with free parts and labor it will set you back a few 1,000.

Small car rear ends make good trike basis to start. Mustang, Pinto, Toyota, Ford Ranger, As long as the bike is shaft drive you can figure a way to hook up a drive shaft. If it's chain drive you will have a hard time with the drive system. It takes a special rear end. Now you are getting into some expensive stuff. You are better off selling the bike and putting it towards that 7k Gold Wing. Good luck.

over the wk/nd I had a chance to ride a friends old 750 Honda that he converted w/a 400 Polaris 4x4 rear axle.....not hard at all to turn, and I had it up to 70 without any problems (me problems, not the bike)......he's actually logged in about 5000 miles since he did the conversion....short radius turning seemed to be just fine, but he used a narrow tire on rear (195-65 x 14) which is about 1/4 in. diff. from org rear, and mntd. his org. spkt. from bike on it + he was able to use the org rotor for brakes......
anyone have any more input on this subject
PS..my max. travel on this is about 35 miles to fishing on river, the rest is running around town.....long runs I just take my Blazer....

thanks, steven

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Astro5150

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Astro5150
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png