starting my 3.8 v6 super charged trike build

ok I been at a impass for about 3 days.. the trike has 12&1/2 ft. wheel base as it sets. I wanted under 10 ft but can,t get there as its going..
I redrew trike moved steering head back some and changed angle to around 32 degree, moved passenger seat back as far as possible with things as they are .. see photo 1. wheel base is about 11 ft. now still seems long to me drawing 2. is my first drawing 12.5 ft.. I know the drawing's are ruff but hope you can see the difference in the 2. also 2 squares = 1 ft.
so wife says consider seats side by side...ok that's a thought should knock off 3 ft. but I can forget about using a bike windshield!!
could move rad to rear frees up 6 inch but a lot of changes to do it
can also probably tighten up our leg room some...
any thought out there??
I'm I missing the obvious?
I think a little move rake on front end looks better...I think both will handle good- I just like longer front ends.. through back from the late 60,s I guess!!
or is the long wheel base no big deal?
I was hoping be able to make tight turn you know...
hmmmmm got to do something so what say you?
magoo

Attachments

• P1010079.JPG
    P1010079.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 162
  • P1010078.JPG
    P1010078.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 166
On most motorcycles legs of passenger are right next to rider. ( almost overlap ) you don't need knee room or foot room for pass. There is nothing on the side of you..

On most motorcycles legs of passenger are right next to rider. ( almost overlap ) you don't need knee room or foot room for pass. There is nothing on the side of you..
hi john
I know that's how bike is.. but though since my design has perimeter frame and flat floor, why not more leg room for passenger?? but you bring up a good point I could make my seat base narrower say 10 inch wider and just have 1 inch tubing on top extend out each side to seat mounts, I think they are 14&1/4 wide center to center... and then my seat back some,, wife won't complain. hey its getting shorter as we go!! thanks for the input john..
magoo

I personal think legs stretched out for a pass is more comfortable than sitting in a chair with feet in front. More stable too.

yes I agree with you both...
my thinking was the room in front of passenger seat would make it easier to get seated(no need to hike leg up and over seat).. would think that passenger would stretch out, use foot pegs or what ever once seated...
in my case I'm not sure how wife knees will be down the road...
what I know for sure is that spacing is shrinking as we talk:)
magoo

As I see it the length of the trike really doesn't matter. Mine is approximately 16 feet long from end to end and it still whips a u turn on a two lane road without a problem. And think about it, when the wife is happy, the driver is happy too. I first had my vw trike at about 11 feet long when I first got done but soon found to be popping wheelieswithout even trying. In the end I ended up extending the length to it's current size. I also built a leading link front end and done away with the motorcycle front end. Now everyone is happy.

ThumbUp Loving this thread ,,can't wait to see more . Keep up the good work and good luck .

thanks slick rick
I've been work'n on front section .. I will post some pics in a few days....still work'n out seat height, location and the length of trike wheel base shorter I can get frame the better i'll like it.. hope to have that sorted out by tomorrow sometime..
magoo

hi guys
I made some progress on trike.,..,
figured out seat placement even got the wife up on the trike to see if she approved of seat placement hey if she's happy I'm happy:D
1. in this shot you can kind of see the steering head location ...
its kicked out at 22.5 degrees this will be changed to straight up and down, this will move steering head about 12 inches closer to me...about the same as my hd. and shorten wheel base too!!
2. this shot shows spacing... 4-1/2 inch between seats( any closer and its not comfortable seats are wide!) .. drivers seat is 4 inch lower.
so this is starting to move forward at last!! I need to weld up the lower frame then I think I will get it off jig put tires on rear put a jack stand up front and draw up front end...oh yea !! that's what I been wait'n for!!
magoo

Attachments

• P1010082.JPG
    P1010082.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 172
  • P1010083.JPG
    P1010083.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 181
I've been watching with interest since I'm considering a v6 trike in the near future. Now that I see more of your frame, I have a suggestion on the wheelbase "problem" (I like them long). Move the upright for the neck back to the rear of the center bar and let your feet go on either side, like this. Then you can use more rake for a longer front end if you want.
swamp.thang.vw.trike.2325.jpg

I've been watching with interest since I'm considering a v6 trike in the near future. Now that I see more of your frame, I have a suggestion on the wheelbase "problem" (I like them long). Move the upright for the neck back to the rear of the center bar and let your feet go on either side, like this. Then you can use more rake for a longer front end if you want.

View attachment 20878

hi rbourne3

I like your trike looks vary nice!!

as I said I'm going to move head location back to just above lower frame front vary much like yours!!!

your trike looks like around 12-12.5 foot wheel base I'm I close??

I'm thinking that I want a fairing/ some sort of body on front of trike... but I sure like the long open front end looks and the open frame look you have is vary cool!! I have a long way to go before I need to make that decision

thanks for the input all food for thought!!

magoo

hi guys and gals ,
I made a little progress this week ...
I revamped front of frame and shortened up wheel base think I'm keeping changes and moving on!!
1. shows the new location of steering head and moved front seat inch forward.
2. engine area rear wheel/tire(18x8wheels-225/40r18tires) and seating with the extra inch between seats I can get my feet through there!! so all is well.
3. approximant location of front wheel.
4. just a different angle of front.
will be doing more welding and tube bending this week,, waiting on new liner for my larger mig welder to much setting in non-heated area last winter I guess old liner is corroded.
any way I'm going to try and finish up the frame in a week or two depenfing on when I get welder going I can tack up with my smaller welder sp175 but only have .026 wire in it...would prefer using larger wire and that's in the larger welder.... there is plenty to do !!!
more later magoo

Attachments

• P1010084.JPG
    P1010084.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 172
  • P1010085.JPG
    P1010085.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 184
  • P1010086.JPG
    P1010086.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 178
  • P1010087.JPG
    P1010087.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 185
ok had a little time to spend on trike today so refigured wheel base should be a little over 11 ft. I can live with this hey I was going to live with 12 and 1/2 foot!!

I changed out idlers and belts on engine- this was a pain had to jack up engine as you must take off motor mount and bracket to install them... would be tuff to do on the road for sure!!

then I went through brakes on rear... need to order master cyc. for trike any suggestion's out there?? guess i'll google it and see what pops up has anyone tied one front brake into rear brake system? with say a adjustable proportional valve? I'm I making this to hard to do?? I've done this on street rod never a bike or trike...whata ya say out there good idea bad idea????

I'm making progress a little at a time...

magoo

well I think i'll consider linked brakes down the road ordered single circuit master cylinder for rear brakes...header wrap for ss steel header I installed-tooo close to radiator fans,,, will get this stuff taken care of and move on!! welder liner should be here in the am that will get welder going again.. I will go or call the local bike shop and price front tire...best price I've found for Michelin pilot active 130/70/18 was $107&change delivered..bike bandit..i want to get trike off the jig and setting on rear wheels in a few days-then level up frame and go to work on front end!!
more later...magoo

ThumbUp,,,,Trial and error , the second one will be easier :D but we're learning right along with you . The one thing though we're not doing all this work but I feel for you if that helps :). Keep up the good work and keep us posted ,,,,,reading it all .

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png