'09 t/g down 3/4 qt. at 26K

May 8, 2011
peru,in,usa
after i got the eng oil temp 240*+ a week ago,but the temp mgt system didn't kick in. that shouldn't cause it. but i do see a quarter size drop of oil under the eng/tranny. about where the primary drain plug is but farther inbd. (drain plug) dry. as i use a new "O" ring & PFE paste.
anyway anyone else experienceing this? an going on a 700 mi trip tomorrow
am & will monitor it.
i know when you change the oil filter you get oil under the eng. will scrub that area. after i returm & try to determine the leak source.

after i got the eng oil temp 240*+ a week ago,but the temp mgt system didn't kick in. that shouldn't cause it. but i do see a quarter size drop of oil under the eng/tranny. about where the primary drain plug is but farther inbd. (drain plug) dry. as i use a new "O" ring & PFE paste.
am & will monitor it.
i know when you change the oil filter you get oil under the eng. will scrub that area. after i returm & try to determine the leak source.

Watch the area under the trans right side cover. The screws tend to come loose. Right around where the header hooks on to the trans.

If you are talking about temp management system that shuts off spark to rear cylinder. That needs to be actively turned on. You need to be stopped and in neutral with engine running. Twist and hold throttle forward until same light as cruise control blinks green. Now system is turned on. Repeat until red to turn off.

am & will monitor it.

240* is nothing by the way. That is just normal. When you get over 280* , or maybe 300*+. Ya need to do something. The oil temp doesn't turn the EITMS on or off. That is done with temp sensor on the rear(I think) cylinder. But as said above, you must make sure it is turned on with the throttle & watch the cruse indicator light. Green is on.
Harley will tell ya 300* is normal temps.......

am & will monitor it.

I'll bet your leaking from the shifter shaft where it goes into the transmission, its common for this seal to fail and begine leaking. Its a PIA to replace because you have to pull the whole inner primary off.

thats what i was thinking. read the manual about the eitms then asked a dealer mech. he said i had to hold the throttle in the fwd positionto get it to activate. at the time i just went around the traffic so i could get air flow. thanks msocko3 about the shifter shaft. glad it under e/w.

thats what i was thinking. read the manual about the eitms then asked a dealer mech. he said i had to hold the throttle in the fwd positionto get it to activate. at the time i just went around the traffic so i could get air flow. thanks msocko3 about the shifter shaft. glad it under e/w.

Good you have the e/w, sad part is this happens fairly often. I've replaced the seal twice on my 06 Ultra in 38,000 miles. Mines stands out like a sore thumb because I used Redline Shockproof which is pepto pink.

Hell I have had oil all over my trike stator plug,oil pan bolts loose,side trans cover bolts loose. All seems to migrate all over.. have you looked under your trike yet??
And all under 8k on the bike..

i also use r/l shockproof gear lube.& my oil drops are eng oil. i had used blue thread locker on the trans side cover screws (ya know if you cut off some of the short end of the allen wrench you can remove the trans cover screws without removeing the exhaust) & i gave the "O" ring a butter lube of permatex non-hardening sealant when i installed it. when i replaced the clutch cable.(installed paul y 10" bagger bars.)
half way on my trip ,all freeway) eng oil only down 1/4" on dipstick.thats about right
, the last 1000 miles i lost just under 3/4 qt. i have the baker plus 1 oil pan. had the rear-end adjusted & drive belt still rubs tranny case slightly. wonder if they make a 1/8" narrorer belt. & wonder if that would help. guess the is a good excuse to get the
rock center groove worn belt replaced & get a 30T. pulley.man!! i hate 30 t. pulley.
in the 6 gear.
when in 5th. at about 2700 rpm, sounds like eng wants me to shift, but when i do
i'm lugging the eng in 6 th gear at 60 1 or2 .guess i'll have to ride the shoveelhead.

i also use r/l shockproof gear lube.& my oil drops are eng oil. i had used blue thread locker on the trans side cover screws (ya know if you cut off some of the short end of the allen wrench you can remove the trans cover screws without removeing the exhaust) & i gave the "O" ring a butter lube of permatex non-hardening sealant when i installed it. when i replaced the clutch cable.(installed paul y 10" bagger bars.)
half way on my trip ,all freeway) eng oil only down 1/4" on dipstick.thats about right
, the last 1000 miles i lost just under 3/4 qt. i have the baker plus 1 oil pan. had the rear-end adjusted & drive belt still rubs tranny case slightly. wonder if they make a 1/8" narrorer belt. & wonder if that would help. guess the is a good excuse to get the
rock center groove worn belt replaced & get a 30T. pulley.man!! i hate 30 t. pulley.
in the 6 gear.
when in 5th. at about 2700 rpm, sounds like eng wants me to shift, but when i do
i'm lugging the eng in 6 th gear at 60 1 or2 .guess i'll have to ride the shoveelhead.

Well that rules out the shifter shaft seal, you should be able to slide underneath and spot where its coming from. If your belts been rubbing the pan I hope it didn't rub through, left side of the pan would be motor oil.

tightened up the oil filter about 1/2-3/4"& power washed the under side of the trike.
here in central Mo. I44 is closed at Rolla both directions. Ft. Wood 10-12" rain this past week. hwy. Patrol says maybe open sat IF no more rain. BUT there more rain on radar.
suunday is suppose to be clear & i'll head east to indy. 80% chance of rain tonight.

A quarter sized oil stain isn't a whole lot of oil. It could have accumulated from your breather and just pooled where it dripped off. Clean the underside and see if it happens again. If you take it to a dealer for a 'quarter sized drip' I doubt they will find anything.

Good Luck

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png