2001 Goldwing

Feb 18, 2008
Roswell, Ga
Hello good people
Does anyone know about a problem the 2001 GolddWing had, I believe it might have been with the cylinder heads overheating or something to that fact. We are looking at a 2001 1800 Goldwing Roadsmith Trike. A friend of mine that as been riding for some 50 years said to stay away from the 2001 since it was the first year it was made. If that is true, my next question would be, if honda fixed the problem in 2001, what serial number would the updated Goldwing start with? We have found two that we like. One has 30,000 miles and the other has 68,000 miles on it. I not real concern about the milage, I am just concerned about the fact that if we do purchase the trike that I am going to end up spending money on it to repair it, I would rather spend my money on extra equipment. Any insight on this?:):):):D

Hey TH and welcome...! I don't remember what all the issues were with the '01 models, but I'm sure someone can give you the details. To me ,the main issue would be to find out if the recalls were done on ANY used bike or trike that you're looking at. We have several '01-04 models in our local GWRRA chapter, and I know they have had any recalls or issues taken care of by Honda. Just try and talk with previous owner(s) of the one you're looking at. They shouldn't have anything to hide. Good luck and glad to have you aboard..:)

Hey TH
If I were you I would get the serial number of the bike and check with a Honda dealer. They should be able to look it up and see if all recalls were done and be able to tell you what recalls they had.
God Bless!!
Larry

Thanks, I have e-mail the shop about and I am hoping that they will check it out or let me have serial so that I can. Again thanks for your help.
See you the road soon.:):):):)

look on ridersrally.com/sb/sb.html and you can see all service bulletins for the gl1800 from Dec 2000 to Dec 2006. Also the actual recalls on the 2001 was for the frame crack stuff which also covered some bikes up to 2004....John:)

Hey THWilson - a buddy has a 2001 'Wing and loves it. The temp gauge on his read hot, so he took it in to Honda and they had a replacement for some wire harness. The temp was in normal levels, just the gauge read incorrectly.
If you haven't ridden a GW, it may seem hot at slower speeds down by your feet, as the cylinders are right in front of you toes. Lots of folks have wind wings to blow cool air around, and highway pegs/boards to get the feet in the breeze,and to change position.
He was also concerned with the frame recall for the welds, as Mother Honda would not warrantee it after it was triked. He has ridden the wheels off it and has had no problems. The mechanic at the dealership he goes to said the actual units with weld problems was pretty small, and the trike kit actually seemed to put less of the kind of stress on the frame that caused the problem. Most owners I have talked with said the inspection/welding was done before the unit was triked. Good idea about checking before yo put down the money, though.
Don't worry about the mileage at all - at 30,000 it is just getting broke in , and at 68,000 a 'Wing is starting to hit it's stride.

Hello good people
Does anyone know about a problem the 2001 GolddWing had, I believe it might have been with the cylinder heads overheating or something to that fact. We are looking at a 2001 1800 Goldwing Roadsmith Trike. A friend of mine that as been riding for some 50 years said to stay away from the 2001 since it was the first year it was made. If that is true, my next question would be, if honda fixed the problem in 2001, what serial number would the updated Goldwing start with? We have found two that we like. One has 30,000 miles and the other has 68,000 miles on it. I not real concern about the milage, I am just concerned about the fact that if we do purchase the trike that I am going to end up spending money on it to repair it, I would rather spend my money on extra equipment. Any insight on this?:):):):D

Hello TH,

I can't respond for the others, but I can tell you about my Yellow '01 Wing.

We purchased Stinger in April of '01 rolled 38 states (many repeat rides) and put 103,500 in 44 months (Dec '04). The only reason we sold him was to trike a fresh bike and continuing touring the way we had been touring the last 44 months, and doing by Trike.

The "only" time Stinger ever got hot was in Atlanta (late July '01) on I-80 during an Asphalt resufacing area. The sun was putting out tempertures of 101, the new black Asphalt surface was very hot, and the traffic was at a crawl for more than an hour, the bike temp needle went up into the red zone at the end of the ordeal.

That '01 Wing never failed, day in and day out. All I did was change the oil & filter every 5000 miles (on four occasions I rolled the entire trip without an oil change - some 8,000 miles), changed the Spark Plugs, fluids, Air filter at 50,000 miles. Even the brake pads went long term.

OH....!!! The rear tire would go fast when pulling the CSC trailer. (check out our pics on PICASA - below)

As someone mentioned earlier, if the bike was well cared for, and had all it's shots, I would not be concerned.

TH, when the overheat or the frame reweld recalls were performed the dealer was to put a punch mark on the vin sticker on the left side of the frame near the forks. The other fix was punch marked near the motor serial number under the right side cover.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png