Do I need the cnter stand?

I doubt seriously if the center stand would support the trike's weight without warping the frame. I can't believe the installer left it in place... MotorTrike uses the center support mounting points to attach the Aqua Shields.

My trike still has the center stand installed. I know there was a kill switch that was installed and associated to the side or center stand so the bike woundnt start if the stand is in the down position. That may be a reason they leave it on the trike.

You no longer need the Sidestand or Centerstand....the "kill switch" is/was attached to the Sidestand Only.....if You still have either or both, "chuck" em'.....ThumbUp

On our last trike, a 1995 GL1500 Motor Trike (no aquashields or whatever they are called) the center stand and the side stand was still on place. the center stand would hold up the trike just fine, but as it was rear heavy it worked the opposite of a 2 wheel GW - the front would come up, not the rear wheel. As for the side stand, I had foot boards, and the stand was hidden under them. As a security precaution if needed I would reach under and put the side stand down. Couldn't see it, and the trike wouldn't start, and who would think to look for that on a trike?
On our GL1800 Champion, the installer removed the side stand and jumped the sensor that disables the ignition if the stand is down. They left the center stand in place, but cut off the leg that sticks out sideways that you step on to put it down. Haven't figured that one out, either leave it alone as it's not in the way, or take it off altogether.

some use the center stand to take the weight off the suspension if its sets for a while.
drive it on boards and the stands goes down easy

Thanks for the replies.

It's not bothering anything or in the way.

I don't think shaving those 10 or 15 pounds will inhance the performance.

And I'm not sure I want to spend the time to remove it.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuziQ

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuziQ
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png