Cruise control

Doug D.

"Tin Man"
May 5, 2012
Vienna, MO USA
Anybody have any experience with a Universal Vista brand cruise control? It's a throttle lock type that mounts on the handle bars. I just scored the Harley version on eBay for $20, and now I'm wondering if I shouldn't have went a different direction...
:xzqxz:

:Shrug:,,,,Doug my scooter has Harley controls with the screw in lock works good on level hyway or just to give your hand a break . I think you'll enjoy it for that price , if it's a quick release .ThumbUpThumbUp

Harley controls on mine, too, Rick. Mine has the screw in the bottom, but it's just a thumb screw, not the star wheel like you see on the newer bikes. (?)

I'm not a real graceful guy, so I find the thumb screw kinda clumsy. I actually have to hold the throttle with my right hand and reach across with my left to set the screw. Not entirely safe, only tried it once. The Universal Vista unit is in fact quick release, with a band mechanism that wraps around the cable end of the grip. It's engaged and released with a lever that operates with a flick of the thumb. Hell, I'm pretty sure even I can handle that! :D

Hope it comes in before Thursday, I'm headed for Arkansas and it would come in handy! pepper

Doug I completely understand the not wanting to reach across and lock it ,:gah mine has the same thing but I got a thumb lever off ebay for the barrel bolt ,works great ...ThumbUp

I think what you bought will help you if not check that out it works great and good luck on your trip ...:Trike1:.. If it's there like it is here try to stay dry ...:Coffee

Thanks, Rick! Weather here is SUPERB, and looks to stay that way for the next several days, here and in AR. pepper Slight chance of rain next Sunday for the return trip, but as always, this is subject to change. I'll post a review of this gadget if it comes in on time.

Ride safe!

Well, the "cruise control" arrived on Tuesday, and I installed it that evening, just in time for my Arkansas ride.

Install was pretty straight forward. Took all of twenty minutes, including adjusting the band tension to hold the throttle open when the unit is engaged. The unit attaches to a bracket that is screwed to the bottom of the Harley switch housing on the grip side, using the existing screw. The band mechanism slips over the grip and is held in place by three set screws. The band, along with the lever used to engage/disengage the unit, is then attached to the bracket using the supplied hardware.

This unit was used, and came with everything except the two allen wrenches (normally included) used to tighten everything down. But hey, for $20 I can't complain, and who doesn't have a coffee can full of allen wrenches laying around.

Once adjusted, it operates easily with a flick of the thumb. It doesn't require a lot of fumbling around, and is quickly engaged or disengaged without taking your eyes off the road. I only got to try it a couple of times, as my trip to AR was cut short when the starter on the trike took a dump on me, twenty five miles from home.

None the less, it did seem to work pretty well, though I'm curious to see how it'll hold up in the long run, and how often it'll need to be adjusted.

Sorry for the lousy pic...

Last edited:
ThumbUp,,,,Looks good Doug hope it does a great job ,ThumbUp,,,hate your trip got cut short ,,,tried to get me one in yesterday backed out of the shop rain started hitting the windshield ,, pulled back in ,,,waited that rain out went back to the shop wanted to tweek something before I left ,rain again had to wait that one out ,,,couple hours go by and did get to take a short ride ...Rain every friggin day here ,,,:gah::gah:,,I guess it just wasn't meant to be,,,:Shrug:

Rain every friggin day here ,,,:gah::gah:,,I guess it just wasn't meant to be,,,:Shrug:

You must be gettin' what we got earlier this summer... Up until the last couple weeks, it's rained at least 3-4 days out of every week (usually the weekend, go figure) all through June and July. Last go 'round resulted in a major flood that resulted in long term road closings and record property and crop loss. Not to mention really screwing up my ride time!

You must be gettin' what we got earlier this summer... Up until the last couple weeks, it's rained at least 3-4 days out of every week (usually the weekend, go figure) all through June and July. Last go 'round resulted in a major flood that resulted in long term road closings and record property and crop loss. Not to mention really screwing up my ride time!

:Shrug:,,,I would be deeply indebted to you if I can send it back ,,,,,cause it's burning my ass,,,:gah::gah::gah:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skijudge

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skijudge
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png