2014 Tri-Glide Thread

2014's discontent in the ranks?

Oh that grumbling sound coming from the Harley purists. Some older Harley riders I know are saying they would never have a water cooled engine. Arguments I've heard include, "just more parts to break" or "they are trying to turn it into a Honda". Hell my position is anything to make riding more comfortable and more reliable go for it. What are your thoughts. Not trying to start a argument, just something to talk about.:Shrug:

Re: 2014's discontent in the ranks?

I think Harley has finally realized the inevitable and made the right mod. Much has been forced by EPA rules. I'm quite sure R&D at Harley has been working on this program for a long time. The purists have plenty air cooled Harleys to ride for a long time so they have no reason for concern.

We don't need no stinkin water cooled Harleys :Wrong:.
whats next....an exh. system that sounds like a 125cc vespa ? :gah:

I have no problem with water cooling, but I really hate the looks of lower fairings. Those were the 1st thing I removed from my TG.

I have no problems with a partial water cooled engine, But if and when they have to go to full water jacketed engine with an big radiator.You'll lose the sole of the engine, It'll sound and feel like my VTX1800 sounded, Not that was anything wrong with that [for some], Just to sedate for me, And boring...... Literally would put me to sleep on long highway stretches.. :vxtyaq:

Re: the 2014 Tri-Glides are water cooled

I borrowed this from another site

2014 Limited Twin Cooled with 108 miles on it with the new compression and cam upgrade.

Click on it for a larger view

9s6x.jpg

Well you know....change is usually always accompanied by opposition. Harley's have evolved quite a bit over the years although it's been pretty slow.

If water cooling turns out to be a real improvement I think it will be accepted in time just like electric start was & padded seats & minimal to no oil leaks etc...

Water cooling is certainly nothing new to most any other engine manufacturer, I mean even a lot of lawnmowers have it.

I believe as long as you can hit the start switch and hear it roar to life & it still makes folks crack their windows at a red light just to hear it.....the Harley reputation will remain secure!!

I had thought that the MoFoCo would plug the V-Rod engine in the bagger line first, Sold along with a traditional air cooled mill to get folks used to the thought of water cooled more traditional styled Harleys. So instead they went with just cooling the heads and around the exhaust port so the styling won't change much. Not sure if this is a big step forward or another band-aid (although a pretty radical one) to cure the fried-thigh syndrome.

Actually water cooling is old history for Harley. Do a web search for the Harley Davidson Nova Project. Just about had a 2, 4 and even 6 cylinder engines and a line of bikes that were due to come out in 1981. Prototypes and running bikes were made, but Harley decided to put it efforts into upgrading the Shovel into the EVO.

whats next....an exh. system that sounds like a 125cc vespa ? :gah:

Actually their pretty darn quiet as they are now. I'm amazed at the stock baggers and Triglides I've passed in my travels this summer. I expect to hear some kind of racket as a lot of folks replace the exhaust, instead I hear nothing except the exhaust note of my 06 Ultra which isn't very loud it self. Maybe if I was riding my Goldwing I might hear something from the passing bikes or trikes.

Re: 2014 Twin-Cool System Video

I've ridden with lowers on and lowers off, hot is hot and I can't tell much difference in my personal comfort with no lowers on just more hot air hitting me.

While all change is not progress.... you cannot have progress without change. Some will hate it some will embrace it. In the end it all boils down to what floats YOUR boat!

Actually their pretty darn quiet as they are now. I'm amazed at the stock baggers and Triglides I've passed in my travels this summer. I expect to hear some kind of racket as a lot of folks replace the exhaust, instead I hear nothing except the exhaust note of my 06 Ultra which isn't very loud it self. Maybe if I was riding my Goldwing I might hear something from the passing bikes or trikes.

Yes, buy one off the floor with oem mufflers, they are quiet, it's the aftermarket installs that provide the noise.

Re: 2014 Twin-Cool System Video

I took the lowers off because my big feet were always getting caught on em, especially when I tried to get em off the pegs and onto the brake in a hurry. had nothing to do with heat or road debris.

Just saw my first 2014. Dealer had a Limited and an Ultra. Hadn't been assembled yet.

Looks OK. Service manager said bikes were delivered yesterday and NONE of his service personnel including him have any idea on service proceedures on the water system or any of the new tech. He was a little peeved. Good luck to the first buyers if they encounter any problems.

Manager agreed with me about also needing the oil cooler. He doesn't think just the wethead is enough.

I like the new stuff a lot, but I'm glad there are enough dislikes to justify NOT buying one. Saves me a lot of $$$$$$$

The tiny(and I mean tiny) 4" screen is - well - [size=8pt]TINY[/size]! How anyone will be able to see it will be a miracle.

6.5" is the only way to go.

The door for your I-Pod sure is flimsy. I can see a heavy duty chrome upgrade coming. :wink:

I think the stock mufflers are a lot better then the old (1990's) ones. They are just right. Still louder then any rice burner.

Rhineharts are way too loud especially when the rider wants to announce "HEY! LOOK AT ME" and keeps blipping the throttle at every stoplight. That gets old pretty fast.

Yes it will come to the sound of a Vespa if the politicos have there way and that may not be too long from now - if we don't police ourselves.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png