New guy question.

Apr 15, 2013
Bedford, TX
I'm on my "maiden voyage" with my Champion IRS trike conversion on a 2007 FLHT. After 1500 miles, there appears to be a "rotating" noise coming from the conversion. Doesn't appear to be a bearing or brake issue. Drive belt seems properly adjusted. Is it normal for the new pulley to get noisy as it breaks in? Is there anything else I need to check? Thanks.

I'm on my "maiden voyage" with my Champion IRS trike conversion on a 2007 FLHT. After 1500 miles, there appears to be a "rotating" noise coming from the conversion. Doesn't appear to be a bearing or brake issue. Drive belt seems properly adjusted. Is it normal for the new pulley to get noisy as it breaks in? Is there anything else I need to check? Thanks.

Make sure the drive belt isn't rubbing on anything, including the trans housing. Also make sure of the alignment of the rear end & belt alignment with the rear pulley.:Coffee:

Make sure the drive belt isn't rubbing on anything, including the trans housing. Also make sure of the alignment of the rear end & belt alignment with the rear pulley.:Coffee:
Thanks, I'm in Milwaukee right now and there are no authorized Champion dealers within 150 miles. The Texas builder did the 500 service and said everything was adjusted properly. The noise didn't show up until a thousand miles later. Without a lift or tools, is there a way to check alignment while on the road? I'm somewhat surprised that there are major cities without Champion dealers.

Re: New guy question. *** Update ***

After another 1,000 miles the noise went away. Must have been the original belt mating with the new pulley. Sometimes the mating process can be noisy. :)

Re: New guy question. *** Update ***

After another 1,000 miles the noise went away. Must have been the original belt mating with the new pulley. Sometimes the mating process can be noisy. :)
You might be correct on that, but it should have made a noise just after installing the belt. Be sure to look for any abnormal wear on the belt sides & cogs. I always take a look under the left side where you can reach the belt. You can usually spot most wear from there.
Ride Safe !

Reminds me of the time I stopped for lunch at this trucker bar. The bar filled up pretty quickly and when these three huge biker dudes walked in there were only two empty bar stools together. The three walked up to the empty stools and the biggest of the three dudes reached over and crabbed the hamburger that this smallish guy sitting next to the two open stools was eating. He threw the burger on the floor, stepped on it and with a nasty snarl challenged, "You goin' a do sumpin' 'bout dat?" The guy just put his head down and left. A little later the big biker turns to the bar and bellows out, "He weren't much of a man!" A guy sitting next to the window responded, "Yeah, and he sure as hell ain't much of a truck driver either. He backed over a bunch of bikes getting his rig out of the lot."

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jb2024Free

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jb2024Free
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png