New to me VW chopper trike

Hey, would you mind posting a few pics of the wheelie bars? I've been looking for some ideas, and yours are pretty interesting.
Here's those pics you requested. The leaf springs are welded onto frame. The wheelie wheels have bearings. I have location they were custom made at at home.

Attachments

• 2013-08-23 11.09.20.jpg
    2013-08-23 11.09.20.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 2013-08-23 11.10.18.jpg
    2013-08-23 11.10.18.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 112
Got the clutch and brakes in better position for me. All lights and signals working. Took it out for my first real ride today to get it inspected. Passed. Kept stalling out due to needing practice shifting that tiny little H pattern.
My question to you VW guys and gals out there is. Rear end has original drum brakes with a foot pedal. Looks like a very basic setup to master cylinder for one brake line and light switch. Does anyone know any reason not to change rear original brake to hand brake on right handlebar? Aside from running flexible line up long bar, does anyone think I would not be able to apply enough force? I am trying to make it safer (just a little). I can certainly handle throttle and brake with one hand.

Does anyone know any reason not to change rear original brake to hand brake on right handlebar? Aside from running flexible line up long bar, does anyone think I would not be able to apply enough force? I am trying to make it safer (just a little). I can certainly handle throttle and brake with one hand.

I may be talking out of my azz, but my concern would be whether or not fluid volume and/or pressure from the motorcycle master cylinder would be sufficient enough to operate the rear brakes. :Shrug:

With rigid tubing, there is very little fluid expansion. However, if I used too much flexible tubing, there might be the risk of outer wall expansion as tube ages. And with only one brake, might not be good.
On a diferent note. After passing inspection, I noticed voltage seemed a little weak. After checking, found generator brushes are completely crusted into place. So no battery charging happening. Since it has to be replaced anyways, I believe I will take the opportunity to replace generator with alternator. Just have to wait for after holiday weekend to get someone live on phone.

Installing a brake master cylinder and/or a clutch master cylinder on the handlebars has long been a subject for VW trike builders. I've built and ridden them for over 47 years and I've never been aware of any feasible (meaning affordable) design that successfully and safely operates clutch or rear brakes from handlebars. I have experimented with many methods, and the only design that I found successful was using a digital 'rheostat' send on the handlebar lever driving a 175 lbs/in servo at the business end. Works, but would cost way too many $$ to be feasible for most folks. You also have a risk that if any electronic component fails, you are left with zero action at the brake ends.

For your build, I would recommend that you stay conventional (clutch with left foot, rear brakes with right foot). You will not comfortably get enough leverage and volume for either function on the handlebars.

Thanks Loner. Seems like you have thought about handlebar mounted controls a couple decades longer than me. That's just the kind of input I love on Trike Talk. Saves me wasting time so I can concentrate on other things (alternator conversion on way).

Switch to disc brakes. Install a residual pressure valve. Now the hard part.......find a motorcycle assembly with somewhere around a 3/4 (19mm) bore. It will work but it will take more finger pull than what is comfortable for a quick stop. I think we are better off with the foot brake.

I saw disc brake conversions didn't look too expensive. Definitely under consideration for future. Probably stick with drum brakes while they work for now.

The basic conversion kit works well. Can get them in several different bolt patterns or blank and put whatever pattern you want in them.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png