My 1st "Head Light Modulator" Laugh

87Trike1200

TOI - New Jersey
Feb 23, 2008
The Jersey Shore
Returning home from the NE Rally yesterday, as I stopped at a traffic light, a "helpful" gentleman stopped next to me, open his window and said, do you know your headlight is blinking"? I said, "do you know it cost me almost a hundred bucks for that feature - glad you noticed it". We would have talked more but the light changed, he smiled, waved, and drove away. I had a good laugh!

I have seen a few of the modulator headlights on bikes coming at me. To me they are a little distracting, but they do get you noticed which is what they are supposed to do. Have mixed feelings on them.:Shrug:

Mine has a two speed function also only works on High beam in the fast mode,3 way switch has fast ( high beam only ) slow ( both high and low beam ) and off. At night , or if turned off , if I blow the horn the headlight modulates 6 times.

I have seen several bikes with the modulator coming at me and I think the light is somewhat distracting. I have thought of putting the set-up on my bikes, but I'm afraid that my bike & I will become just like the cop cars, tow trucks and other emergency vehicles that are driven into because those drivers just lock onto the flashing lights! I know what happens & what those drivers say about the lights because it happened to me twice while operating a tow truck, many many years ago.

I have seen several bikes with the modulator coming at me and I think the light is somewhat distracting. I have thought of putting the set-up on my bikes, but I'm afraid that my bike & I will become just like the cop cars, tow trucks and other emergency vehicles that are driven into because those drivers just lock onto the flashing lights! I know what happens & what those drivers say about the lights because it happened to me twice while operating a tow truck, many many years ago.

It's called Target Fixation, Thats why people will run into a parked truck on the side of the highway, And sometimes a stopped school bus...
And in my humble opinion ''If'' every bike had those modulating headlights, they will annoy so many people that they'll outlaw them...

I do not like any type of light that distracts or bothers oncoming vehicles.John Luciano's "press the horn and the headlight flashes 6 times" sounds great to me.Just enough to make approaching traffic aware of you - but not annoying.
I also do not approve of high beams used to "make others aware of you" - if your beams are directed at me what am I to do?Maybe close my eyes until you have passed me?
Anything that makes your bike more visible is great - as long as it does not interfere with the safety of oncoming traffic.
My 2c worth,
Tip Schwartzbeck

Wow, I never realized so many folks were "against" modulating headlights. I too, had seen them prior to installing mine, and thought they were annoying. I then realized if they hadn't gotten my attention, they wouldn't be annoying.

The thought of "annoying" the guy in front, is far outweighed by the thought that it MAY catch the eye of someone about to "pull out" in front of me or someone else, coming from the other direction, making the "dreaded " left turn into my path.

While I don't "try" to annoy others :))), taking care of #1 (me), takes priority.

I encourage the "against" folks to re-think your position and also "take care" of #1 (you). ThumbUp

The other day on a 2 lane mountain road, I finally got around two GoldWing Trikes that were holding up traffic by driving 5 to 8 miles under the speed limit and refusing to utilize the turnout lanes built specially for slow drivers to let traffic get by. When I got in front of them, they both had modulating headlights. Double modulating in my mirrors!! Very annoying. In 15 seconds, they could no longer be seen due to curves, thankfully. But...If owners like them and feel they make a safety difference, then they should use whatever works for them. I just have the HD LED headlights and passing lights, and since I put them on, nobody pulls out in front of me anymore... without the modulating.

I encourage the "against" folks to re-think your position and also "take care" of #1 (you). ThumbUp

I don't consider myself as against, but have decided not to use the set-up on my bikes and let me say why from my own personal experience.

As I said above, I have twice been on the receiving end of drivers that lock on to flashing lights. The second time was a double whammo, 2 drivers crashed into the back of several of us while we were working an accident w/injuries. The first driver blasted into my wrecker while it sat on the shoulder and drove it into 2 cop cars in front of me. The second driver, a minute or 2 later, drove into a cop car, that was sitting in the right-hand traffic lane, driving it into the waiting ambulance and as my luck would have it the second driver ended in the side of MY truck. After all the slamming & crashing was done, I stood near both drivers each time the cops questioned them and both said almost the same thing, they fixed on the flashing lights and did not see the vehicles the lights were on.

So, after re-thinking it, I don't want to give those drivers another whack at me. :gah:

I also have a modulator on my head light. However, as someone else said, it is hooked up to my high beam. I don't use it until I see someone entering (or about to enter) from a side road, driveway, etc or turning left in front of me. I then kick on the modulator until I see that I have there attention, then turn it off. Have had several start to pull out, see the modulator come on and wait. Love it myself, but don't follow people with it on.

It's called Target Fixation, Thats why people will run into a parked truck on the side of the highway, And sometimes a stopped school bus...
And in my humble opinion ''If'' every bike had those modulating headlights, they will annoy so many people that they'll outlaw them...

:Agree:

I installed HID lights on my low beams and they seem to do as well in making us visible as the modulators. Now we can hear from those that don't like HID bulbs.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bruce Tapscott aka T.P.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bruce Tapscott aka T.P.
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png