3M clear film

Aug 21, 2011
Lake Murray, SC
Well I had the 3M clear film installed today. But there is a problem, the alcohol they used to clean and d-wax the fenders took all of my touch-paint off and they didn't notice it. Now my fenders look like crap! What to do?

I know, if I had known this would happen I would have taken it to him and let him clean it then done my touch-up and left it with him to let him keep it over night and then install the film. He did a super job!

I was surprised the touch up paint came off as I had some on mine when I installed the film on mine and the touch up paint stayed on.. But then again I sanded it with 3000 grit sand paper then buffed out the touch up paint before installing the film,

well I painted it a good while back but put clear coat on it yesterday. I guess it needed to be on there longer. It is HD paint and clear coat.

Has anyone tried the rubber protection pads for the fenders? I was going to the 3M and the dealer talked me out of it. He said it would show dirt and become noticeable after a while. First time I had heard this. Have seen it on Kitted bikes and it looked good but I don't know how long it had been on there.

I have seen RVs with it and it was so bad (cracked and yellow) that the front of the RV had to be repainted (they had to scape-sand it off), I don't know what brand it was. I had always said I would never put that crap on anything that I have. But talking to the guy that installed it he said that I should be able to remove it with out a problem and that it should not leave any residue. Also I think that with the RVs they are in the sun most of their lives and my trike is in the sun very little. I have a piece of it at the door kick area that looks real bad on my RV, again he said I should be able to remove it with out a problem, I will try it and let you know how it does. The reason I needed it on my trike was that we went on a poker run spring bike week at Myrtle Beach. We went to the Myrtle Beach Speedway (1/2 mile track) and we had won the second pole position front row outside and would run around the track for five laps behind the pace car. All the other times he had done this run he would run about 45 mph and the two wheelers would try to keep up, that was all he needed to run. When we started I was about ten feet off his bumper so he speeded up and I still pushed him, there were no two wheelers in site just me (with wife on back) and the pace car and on lap 4 I was still pushing high going into the turns I would go high and catch him and ride on his rear outside quarter panel, on the last lap he punched it coming out of the first turn and I was on his bumper and he threw rocks all over me and I went real high to get away from the rocks but already had some damage. After that run we got to ride in the pace car while he ran the hell out of it, good times, he would come only inches from the wall. The next poker run we went on had 286 bikes and trikes, this time I stayed back from him. I hate the damage but sure was fun.

I went to a graphics company in my town and had them remove the clear fender protectors which looked like crap and reinstall with black 3m with a small diamond pattern. Looks really good. I would add a pic but for some reason my uploads don't show.

Right now it looks real good except where the touch up paint is missing, but its new, only time will tell. I am going to try to touch up the chips on the clear film, if the paint will stick. If this doesn't work I will remove it and start over, so don't have anything to loose.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cisco

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cisco
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png