Loud Creak/Squeak in rear.

Jul 5, 2010
Minnesota
My 2009 TG has developed a loud creak/squeak toward the rear of the trike. It is louder when there is no weight on it. I have checked everything I can get to and find nothing loose. Sounds like it is in the rear suspension. Anyone else have a similar noise in theirs? Mine has 52k on it. Started noticing it last year and it has slowly gotten louder. :gah:

I had a rattle in the back of mine this last year.Turned out to be the pan hard rod.One of the ends were bad.They replaced the entire rod & the noise was gone.

I had a rattle in the back of mine this last year.Turned out to be the pan hard rod.One of the ends were bad.They replaced the entire rod & the noise was gone.

Would not be surprised if that is what the problem is. It sounds like it could be towards the top of the shocks too and all of that ties into the same area.

It's a lil tough getting to,but reach up & grab the top joint & see if it rattles,then try the other side.Thats how i found mine.It doesn't take much slack in the joint to make a big sounding rattle.

I don't recognize "pan hard rod". What is this and where is it located? Maybe accessable from under rear of seat?

It's a lil tough getting to,but reach up & grab the top joint & see if it rattles,then try the other side.Thats how i found mine.It doesn't take much slack in the joint to make a big sounding rattle.

I'll give it another try Arnie. Can't really get up in there very well .

bikerbozo,if you have a trike manual,it has a section on how to adjust it.Looks like a sway bar on an automobile(kinda).Keystone,it is pretty tight up there.I have a trike lift i drive it up on & then crawl under it.

You can see it running across the rear from left to right. Like Arnie said it kind of looks like a sway bar.

tg10.jpg

Little better picture.

74731a7a-ba22-461b-ba90-7d7bb4229d40_zps0d3095b3.jpg

The same happened to my 2010..........sounded like a muffler/exhaust rattle/dealer ended up removing the body to replace that rod. MoCo paid for the part but I sucked up labor (was not a happy camper). I think it was around 30 thou. miles - 42 thou. on it now with NO further problems.
Really LOVE this machine though !!
:gah:

How about the swingarm bushings? The trike setup still use the existing swingarm mount? That rod runs through the back of the transmission on the older bikes, and when the bushings start to go, it makes a creaking sound. Just a thought.

How about the swingarm bushings? The trike setup still use the existing swingarm mount? That rod runs through the back of the transmission on the older bikes, and when the bushings start to go, it makes a creaking sound. Just a thought.

Those bushing do wear out. The rear end pushes /pulls on the bushing when you ride through turns. The more wear they have will result in side to side movement of the swing arms assembly at the pivot point.

Easy way to test is to jack the trike and support the back under the frame. Once the tires are just off the floor push/pull on the rear tire from the side. If you get what seems like excessive side to side movement, it could be time to replace them.

The rubber between the isolator bushing shims will start to tear. They look like cracks in the rubber when looking at the bushing from the side

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png