Ban MC accidents in SC

Aug 21, 2011
Lake Murray, SC
Bad MC accidents in SC

Sorry about the Ban, should be Bad MC accidents in SC. It would not let me edit it! Two guys ridding BMWs killed yesterday, 21 year old driving drunk crossed center line and hit them head on! About two months ago a man and his wife ridding on their HD killed by a guy driving with his DL suspended, ran off the road on right side over corrected and ran into them head on. I don't know what you could in a case like these, nothing I think. It just sux!

Last edited:
I have been riding for 45 years and my only accidents were my own stupidity. Someone crossing the line and hitting you head on for whatever the reason will ruin your day. I hate to hear about these tragedies because you know that it could of been you. You have to ride defensively always. Keep your eyes open and just assume that car is going to turn left in front of you.
Be safe!

That's something I'm on constant watch for....other vehicles! I read somewhere that about 2/3rd's of the accidents involving another vehicle, were the other vehicle violating the motorcycles right of way. My cure for that is stay away from other vehicles as much as possible!

We really try our best to ride in places where there is very little to no traffic in an attempt to reduce the odds of an accident. I avoid interstates like the plague & prefer not to ride in even a small city. What would be a fender bender in a car can be deadly on a motorcycle. We are very conservative riders, don't drink & don't take crazy chances, pushing the bikes to the limit. I wouldn't have been able to say that 30 yrs ago but fortunately I lived through it.

Not much you can do about someone crossing the line & coming head on at you if there's no where to go or no time to move. So I just keep the exposure to a minimum!!

when I was about 16 and rideing.. a OLD BIKER gave me some advice that ive taken to heart all these years....

KEEP IN YOUR MIND THAT EVERYONE OUT THERE IS WANTING TO KILL YOU..

Im 65 now and still have that fresh in my head..

:gah:yea..know what you mean..you have to be on guard all the time or some ignorant SOB will hurt you>>.. I still love the ones that have to go from the left lane cut you off to exit the off ramp..:gah:

when I was about 16 and rideing.. a OLD BIKER gave me some advice that ive taken to heart all these years....

Im 65 now and still have that fresh in my head..

That's how I ride too..I assume everyone doesn't see me so I'm always flashing my headlights and slowing down at road crossings. Its saved my butt a few times.

I have been in that situation, but it was in a car not on a bike. Five family members were traveling on a very rural Texas 2 lane highway in the middle of a summer afternoon. I was driving over the speed limit (about 80 85) when the driver of a pickup truck came over the center line at us. He was driving at least the speed limit (70). I have never been one to hug the center line so we were way over against the right shoulder line. It all happened quicker than the blink of a eye, he was there, he went by, then he was back over in his lane behind us. Had I been over next to the center line I am sure everyone would have been killed. My mother, sister, and wife in the back seat were talking and not paying attention to the road so they never knew what happened. There wasn't time to move over and he only missed us a few inches, you can not imagine how close. There or here by the Grace Of God.

Since then I never take up more room than I need on the road. When I change lanes or pull onto the road I stay as close as I can to either the inside or the outside. I am not perfect, I may not see a vehicle and pull out in someones path but I always try to leave them an escape route just in case.

Yes that happened very close to me , that kid will regret that the rest of his life and the bikers, well lets pray they are in a better place. I lost my best friend in a accident much the same way and yes Jim was a great rider and a safe one to the max. One never knows.

They don't make a pill to cure stupid, so when you go out to start your scooter keep in mind that the only reason all those cages are on the road is to run over you. As I raised my two son's to ride, I explain to them it is always the motorcycle's fault, because you could have chose another road. or you should have been more visible. or you should not have been where you could get run over. That is the cage operators thanking. My rant is over now. Y'all ride safe & have fun.

Softail I understand your thinking, but the man and his wife were on a 2 lane hwy in the boonies. The two guys on the BMWs were on a two lane hwy also, maybe a little more traffic but not in a city. When I started ridding again with the trike I would not ride the interstates either but as I thought about it I changed my mind. You have no cross traffic, no left turns and everyone is going the same direction as you are. I keep up with the flow of traffic and am fine with it.

Yep, it can happen anywhere, anytime....I just try to keep the odds in my favor.

There are advantages to all traffic going in one direction but there are still plenty of dangers there like 18 wheeler tire blowouts, abrupt lane changes etc... We were in the right hand lane on an interstate running 70mph & I saw in my rear view mirror, one of those idiots in a little sports car weaving in/out of traffic come right up on the back of my wife & thought he was gonna hit her as his front end took a nose dive, then he jerked to the right and passed us on the shoulder, showering us with sand & small gravel! Scared us both to death....there was no where to go except the shoulder but, in this case, I'm glad she didn't have time to react!! I do at times travel on the interstates & through cities but I just keep it to a bare minimum.

I guess we all have to find what we're most comfortable with & enjoy the most, and be very defensive on whatever type road we find ourselves.

I really like this.........

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johear65

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johear65
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png