Motor Trike here we go again ..good news

Nov 15, 2012
Delray Beach Florida
As you guys know by now.
Im a cry baby.
I bought this bike knowing nothing doing no research and quite frankly not caring.
I just needed transportation.

Cowell Powersports in Lake Placid Fl and MT to the rescue once more.

A few days weeks doesn't matter.
Im getting on to the Interstate.
Im in 4th gear 3500rpm 60-65mph and merging into traffic getting up to 70and then all of a sudden it sounds like the worlds going to end.
All hell breaks loose.
Metal to metal clanging and banging.
Scared the crap out of me.
Squeezed in the clutch shifted into 5th all is fine.
Happened again last week, same reaction, brown stain.....a friend suggests its "Gear Clash".......look it up guys.

Anyway for the last few weeks the driveline has felt funny.
Slop as you rock the throttle when in gear.
And a bit more vibration then I though there had been.
But being diabetic Im sensitive to all vibrations.

So I cry wolf to MT about it.
As my warranty is up in October.
They, the women I spoke to had no real suggestions not that I expected one, except to take it to a dealer.
Same problem today.
Same as its always been for me 150 miles to the closet dealer.
Cowell Powersports is the closet but as of December the last time I had an issue<CV joints> they hadn't built a trike yet. So they couldn't help not fully set up as a dealer at the time.
Called them on Wednesday.
They are fully setup now to deal with MT issues.
So I told Cory my story, said Ill be at your door Friday when you open.

Leave the house at 7am this morning get there a little after 10.
Crowley Motorsports in Lake Placid Florida is a small Honda, Yamaha , Polaris dealer. Mostly ATVs as its in a rural area which is a good thing.

Greeted at the door: hello how can I help you???????
Directed to the service desk. Introduce myself to the young guy say HI Cory Im Jay we spoke on Wednesday etc etc.
So many thanks yous, and yes sirs from Cory.
Im not used to politeness any more especially from a young guy, its a lost art form.
Good Southern upbringing for sure.
Trikes pulled right into the back and looked at.
Chuck the warranty tech comes out and says your drive shafts shot.
I could have an eminent or sudden failure at any time. The front U-Joints falling apart.
Now why this hadn't happened while I was ridding??? You guys know, front of shaft falls down hits pavement bike flips....... Im history.
The man upstairs must still like me who knows why though???:Shrug:
So Im lucky I guess.
Chuck gives the part number to the shop foreman Bill.
Bill calls MT.
Richard who knows me by now tells them part will be there 2-3 days.
That means to me take my chances and ride it back home.
I cant leave it..
Hope I don't die:xszpv: and get it back to them next week.
Chuck then says to himself I guess, hes not riding this bike in that shape 300+ miles.
Between Chuck and the owner and maybe Richard I don't really know.
Chuck tells me he is going to take a new style drive shaft out of the trike they just built that's on the floor and put in my bike and send me on my way!!!!!!!!

You guys don't know how relived and unbelievable that was to me.
Try and ask a big city place hey help me out here.........
I didn't even ask, just sat in the chair holding my head and thinking to myself.
Ooh crap I better make it here and back and they offer me a driveshaft from a trike on the floor.
Again Guys Im shocked by the generosity and niceness of these folks.
Plus Chuck straightened out a few minor things from the original install he saw incorrect while he was there at it.
Nothing like that would happen in the Honda dealer near me, period, never
Heck they make you wait a week for a gasket near me.

A big thumbs up to the nice folks at GHC Motorsports in Lake Placid and Richard once again at MT. ThumbUp
Id be willing to drive 300 miles just to have these folks change my oil...........not really but you know what I mean.

So again long winded story.
But if it feels wrong, sounds wrong, it probably is wrong.
Have the trike checked out guys.

If anyone is ever in Lake Placid Fl and needs some bike work. These are the folks at GHC to have do it.
Makes me wish they were here and me not to have to go there.
Happy customer, great service from both.
These types of people just don't happen in my world anymore.
Good folks, good service and politeness to boot.
The way it should every where. But rarely is,,,,,,,,,,,,anywhere.

Sounds like oil change might be a good excuse for a ride.

Well before the next trip.
A new seat is in order.
That might be my next question here after searching first.
Ive been using the trike to commute daily to work.
Its all of 14 miles each way.
Today was my 1st real trip with it and the OEM seat nearly crippled me after about an hour to 90 minutes I was extremely uncomfortable.
I need to make that my next change.

Glad that all worked out for you!!!!! I bet you'll really be pleased with the new driveshaft. MotorTrike did a SUPER job with this one.

Glad it's working out for you and you've been safe. Curious though, isn't that a bit hight on the MPH and RPM for shifting to 5 gear? I'm in 5th/OD by 40-45 MPH. Never any adverse internal sounds.
I'm glad the shop worked with you and went the extra mile!
cooltech:cool:

Glad that all worked out for you!!!!! I bet you'll really be pleased with the new driveshaft. MotorTrike did a SUPER job with this one.

Its so smooth now.
After time you take for granted that's the way it should be.
Vibration seems to creep up over time.
Minor vibrations that is.
Im just glad I decided to not listen to a friends reasoning and accept it was a transmission issue.

What a great report on a great dealer!!! Thanks for sharing :). And thank God you are ok and nothing serious happened while you were on the highway.

Nana
There are still some good people out there.
Renews my faith in humans again for now.

After Chuck described the front u joints condition to me, and what could have happened made me feel pretty lucky to still be here.
For me to be 75mph + on the highway is normal down here.
Ive heard the horror stories of others about shaft drives before.

I got my new driveshaft almost 2 weeks ago. Works great! Mine didn't have the cross member with driveshaft loop. One came with the new driveshaft, so there is one on there now.

"You guys know, front of shaft falls down hits pavement bike flips....... Im history."

Has this ever happened to any one? You just scared the bejezus out of me!

Don't know if it actually happened but Motor Trike thought it enough of a possibility that they added the safety loop. I thought all Adventure conversions had it. Maybe Randy's installer skipped a step????

It is pleasant, smooth as glass now.
It must have had some issues from day one of my ownership and was getting worse.
When you ride it daily you know its different but its so subtle you don't know why.
Then the banging and all hell breaking loose not once but twice days apart then its OK again.
I was doing 70-75mph almost 3 hours straight going there.
The folks at the dealership could not have been any better.

Now for a seat......first long ride and the OEM seat was crippling me.

"You guys know, front of shaft falls down hits pavement bike flips....... Im history."

Has this ever happened to any one? You just scared the bejezus out of me!

Cant say its happened or not. But that was the thought going through my mind.
Ive lost a driveshaft before in my road racing days.
Leaves a nice gouge, but as was said you have to have a loop in order to race.
Ive never seen the bottom of my trike. I have no idea whats there actually.

Hi Jaysgone. I used to drag race for yrs growing up. There is a safety thing you can install on your Trike. Its called a DRIVE SHAFT LOOP. All it is . Is a U shaped piece of steel that bolts under the drive shaft to the frame. To catch the drive shaft if it breaks. So it won't fall and hit the pavement. It keeps it in the loop. It has saved a lot of Hot Rodder and a drag racers lives. You might want to check on this for you owners with drive shafts. Might be a little different on a Trike. R/TThumbUp

Good report, Jay, enjoy those success stories, especially about a dealer. Think I was in that store once having been in Sebring many times......

Unfortunately good friendly dealerships and techs are becoming a dieing breed.

Many experiences are a hassles plus $90 an hour.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png